Help me choose: Nokian WRG4 vs Outpost APT

Posted today on Nokians Facebook page:

Winter can be controversial! Winter driving shouldn't be. Stay tuned for a four-season driving solution!
A few days ago I saw a very brief pop-up ad (at tirebusiness.com) about a "big announcement" from Nokian, coming around Jan 15th IIRC.

Posted today on Nokians Facebook page:

A few days ago I saw a very brief pop-up ad (at tirebusiness.com) about a "big announcement" from Nokian, coming around Jan 15th IIRC.
I'm assuming that's the WRG5? Would love to install that on my next car. The APT has been amazing so far, and that's only an AT tire.

65a6b7997bd8eb001ec591c6-nokian_tyres_remedy_wr_g5_2.jpg.jpeg

I saw both of your summer and winter reviews and they really helped me a lot. I'm also impressed with what the little Kona can do. Now I'm pretty much set on the Nokian APT, just waiting for them to go on sale in October.
Hope the APTs continue to work well for you.

Some more perspectives from me re the Outpost APT. So everyone in Canada knows about the crazy snowstorm that hit us in early-mid January here in Metro Vancouver. I was in Burnaby at the time and headed home in the late afternoon on the 17th. Snow came down hard and fast. Like how often can you say we had an actual blizzard? We sure did, near white-out conditions with biting wind from east. It was a steady -4C. It wasn't an overly large snowfall when all was said/done. But given the infrastructure, and that the snowfall event happened in the afternoon, 5 cm of snow quickly turned to ice, with sheets everywhere and on main roads. The conditions were worse than when I wrote my 2022 review. I opted not to take my usual route home (with steep hills). Instead, took a longer but more/less level in elevation (rolling). The main roads were grid-locked so I decided to take side/residential streets. Unfortunately, many also decided to do the same thing. Along the way, I could see many cars attempting uphills and sliding back/sideways, even with winter tires. It really was completely iced for my entire trip home. I was able to identify many cars that had slid had 3PMSF tires (WRG4s, X-Ices, CC2s these are very common here); this was possible because of how slow people were going. So it didn't matter what kinds of tires people had on.

Practicing last-minute risk assessments along the way home, I made constant course change corrections, even trying to get away from any moderate hill. But even then, even my car (AWD Hyundai Kona) did struggle at times on the ice, even on mild hills. This was the first time in many years I thought i wouldn't make it home without crashing into something. As most know, the APTs are 3PMSF-rated, but are not winter tires. Despite the severe conditions, I did manage to make it home without incident. I was careful and thoughtful re throttle and steering position, and thankfully avoided the dreaded side and backwards slide. Likely having the APTs helped some; there are better tires for these conditions, however, the APTs did as much as they could do given the conditions.

I agree with your post that any tire will struggle with ice, you'd need actual nordic winter tires and better yet studs/chains.

Last edited:
Back