DWS06 + in the snow

I'm pondering these tires for my accent. Before you tell me I know I don't need an "ultra high performance all season". But I'm trying to avoid having 2 sets of winter wheels and tires. My wifes accent will have a set of 15" aluminum wheels with dedicated snows. But I'm toying with the idea of having 1 tire year round on my car. I want more than your standard all season.

The problem i have is the 205/45-17 tires size is kind of odd. It must match some sort of sports car because there are many performance tires in this size. Really no all weathers available which is what I'd really like to have. Which leads me to the DWS06+. They seem to be a good compromise of year round performance. Of course no where near a dedicated snow but I'm ok with that as long as they are better than your average commuter all season.

Any feedback on these tires in the snow?

I had them on my MB350 and they performed very well.
On my current vehicle Lexus RX350 I ditched the OEM at ~12,000Km and replaced them Toyo Celcius.
Not as good as the Contis, but pretty close.
I truly believe that the all weathers give good service especially if not in zones of very heavy snowfalls.
Now i don't have the headache of storing & changing & paying for tires I don't need.
OTOH if one is in heavy snowfall area the All Weather may be a bit deficient.

Reactions: JC1
It seems that tire has been around a very long time? I think I'd look at something else.
Been around a long time as it's a solid performer, especially at the price point. As long as they're made that's the only tire I've ever been impressed with enough to keep buying every time I need a set. I do a moderate amount of driving year round in all sorts of weather from 100 degrees down in the single digits at times... tropical wind/rain as well as some snow and ice. Never once had an issue caused by the tire performance and they wear extremely well side to side. I average around 45,000 miles out of a set before replacement. I have a 4 wheel alignment done when a new set is installed and I check/adjust air pressure every 2-3 weeks.

They get decent reviews from what I recall as a better than regular all seasons.

Upgrade to 215-45-17 which should clear as they are .4" taller and .4" wider and probably listed on the forums as something others have done. Lots of All Weather choices in that including Nokian WRG4, Michelin CC2, Toyo Celsius, General Altimax 365AW, Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, Vredestein Quatrac

Last edited:
I can give you some direct feedback from my experience of these tires in the snow.

Two years ago, I replaced the summer-only tires on my MX-5 with these Conti (DWS 06plus). I then took a trip from IN out to CA and back in October. I ran into snow twice; once in the SV mountains in CA, and then again in CO. Both times the tires did quite well considering how light the car is. Admittedly I wasn't in deep snow; mostly snow covered and icy roads for a few hours while I traversed the peaks of the mountain ranges. I was actually impressed how well they did considering they are basically UHP all-season tires biased to good handling.

They did so well on that Mazda that I also fitted them on my 2018 Taurus when it came for tires last year.

And they will be my choice for tires for some time to come.

They're great in snow. Although I don't know about the 06+, the older DWS non-06+ was as good in snow as the Michelin Alpin PA3 that I had at the time but that was 8 years ago before "all-weather" tires. I'm thinking the new all-weather line ups might work out better for you.

When first introduced, they were DWS. Then updated to DWS06, then further updated to DWS06+

I use them as my Spring and Fall tires on my Corvette. I don't drive the Corvette in the snow on purpose, but if I decide to head to warm weather in winter, these tires will get me home. Handling on a Corvette is superb.

They get decent reviews from what I recall as a better than regular all seasons.

Upgrade to 215-45-17 which should clear as they are .4" taller and .4" wider and probably listed on the forums as something others have done. Lots of All Weather choices in that including Nokian WRG4, Michelin CC2, Toyo Celsius, General Altimax 365AW, Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady, Vredestein Quatrac
That's good info. I'm not super willing to deviate from stock tire size though. It may be silly but I really prefer to use exactly the size that came on it.

Personally, I would upgrade your car to 15" rims with 185/65's as well, and your snow performance will be much better with any all season tire. Or even a 195/65R15 if you've got a manual transmission with a short top gear, it will probably get the speedometer closer to the actual speed as well. I put these on my Focus instead of 195/60R15 and its been nothing but good, and inexpensive good tires are in abundance.

They will be ok in light snow and that’s about it. You will probably want something with 3PMSF if you really want that car to go in the snow. It’s a great tire overall though.

besides performing in snow WINTER tires stay softer in cold. lots of options these days + the ability of your vehicle comes into play + remember NARROWER is BETTER in snow.

That’s a wide tire for a vehicle that size. Did they also offer a 16” wheel with narrower width? you might have some games you can play there. Dws06 was decently reviewed for light snow but that’s not really its strong point. There’s a Bridgestone potenza that also plays there which can also be considered. I DO like the continental and would absolutely consider it. Also consider the michelin CrossClimate2, for a little more $ you’ll get a staunch improvement in bad weather performance.

I have the dws06 and thought they did pretty horrible in the snow. On my Mazda 6 with 19” wheels, my oem Dunlop sp sport whatever’s seemed better. Granted, we don’t see alot of snow in maryland…both sets of these tires have seen snow/sleet/slush a couple of times and in my opinion the Dunlop’s were alot better. I was very disappointed when I almost couldn’t make it up a few hills on my way home in probably 2-3” of snow on the roads one day with continentals.

have a set of DWS-06's on the GF's 2013 Malibu 2.0T...she has been very happy with them in ChicagoLand winters...I put a set of the newer (and the tire you mentioned) DWS-06 Plus on my AWD CTS sport wagon 3.0 and have not had any issues related to those tires...I found them as nice as the previous Michelin A/S 3+ tires...

I found the Conti DWS-06 Plus better in the wet/rain than the Michelins...as good or better in the snow...the Michelins edged out the Contis in the dry...

Good luck with your choice...I also have the DWS-06 Plus on my CTS V-Sport 3.6TT but I don't drive that in the snow...superior to the Michelins in the rain though...hope that helps

Bill

It seems that tire has been around a very long time? I think I'd look at something else.
Original DWS was the best performer in the snow among performance A/S tires. It kind of set standard for others.
DWS06 when it was introduced looked very similar to the original one, but the threat had something in the opposite direction. It was hard to distinguish at first glance. DWS06+ is the same design as DWS06, but a different compound. It is a relatively new tire. Few years old, as someone mentioned, 3 years at most.

Reactions: Pew
I love them on the Giulia, including in the snow.

For an Accent, though? Seems overkill…

Back