HDEO and JASO

I think being on the JASO list allows you to put the cert on the bottle, but is not a requirement to put it on the bottle.
Could be, I'll have to look at the JASO documentation to see how it's laid out.

They verify the oil meets the specification/requirements per the JASO documents from test data submitted by the oil manufacturer, and then "register" the oil as JASO Approved after the data and payment is submitted to JASO.
JALOS is the standards organization and JASO is the standard. Oils are registered and listed on the 4T_EV_LIST. You can get the latest list online. The oil companies carry the liability of their data being valid as reported and going forward. The oils are registered not just by brand but by manufacturing location. Registered oils can use the official JALOS JASO Standard logo on their labels. The logo also specifies manufacturing location.

JALOS reviews the labels before they are used to make sure that they don't claim certification of approval.

From the JASO T 903:2016 document concerning labeling of the oil container. They say the submitter shall an example of the performance classification marking on the container and a copy of the label drawing. But they also say things like "A submitter, who labels his/her products accordingly ..." which make it sound like the decision is up to the submitter to label per JASO marking format or not. But in documents like these, the word "shall" always means that it's a requirement to do whatever the "shall" statement is describing. Snip its from the document pertaining to labeling.

1666668073861.jpeg

1666668088068.jpeg

1666668099486.jpeg

1666668111827.jpeg

1666668123531.jpeg

Update - here it clearly says "If the performance class and oil code reference number are indicated on the product containers, ..."

"If"
means it is up to the oil manufacturer submitting for JASO registration to use the defined JASO format label on the bottle. Guess some companies that are listed in the certified JASO list don't want to go through the effort and expense to add the JASO label to the oil bottle.

1666670275542.jpeg

Last edited:
Registered oils can use the official JALOS JASO Standard logo on their labels. The logo also specifies manufacturing location.
I don't see any indication in the JASO logo that indicates the oil manufacturing location.

1666727409225.jpg

Don't quote me on it, but I believe it is the second through fourth digits in the registration number that are associated with a country code in the standard.

Don't quote me on it, but I believe it is the second through fourth digits in the registration number that are associated with a country code in the standard.
If so, then it's hidden in a secret code that nobody could determine by looking at the logo without a decoder. Every bottle or jug of oil I've ever bought shows what country it was made in anyway, regardless if it was JASO registered or not.

If so, then it's hidden in a secret code that nobody could determine by looking at the logo without a decoder. Every bottle or jug of oil I've ever bought shows what country it was made in anyway, regardless if it was JASO registered or not.

It does certainly require a decoder if one doesn't have country codes memorized. But not too difficult to look up either.

JASO 4T Spec
Page 10, Section 4.6 "Oil Code Reference Numbers" describes the number structure. My memory was correct, and it is the second, third, and fourth digits of the registration number that reference the country of origin.

Country Number (three digits) The country code of the international telephone number of the submitter or the company which manufactures the four-cycle oil concerned (e.g. Japan: 081; the United States: 001; the United Kingdom: 044)

It does certainly require a decoder if one doesn't have country codes memorized. But not too difficult to look up either.

JASO 4T Spec
Page 10, Section 4.6 "Oil Code Reference Numbers" describes the number structure. My memory was correct, and it is the second, third, and fourth digits of the registration number that reference the country of origin.
It's somewhat nebulous because it can be either "the country code of the international telephone number of the submitter or the company with manufactures the four-cycle oil". So it's not really always going to show where the oil was actually made. My bet it will pretty much always show the country where the company is located (ie, Yamaha, Castrol, Kawasaki, etc) who use the JASO logo on the oil bottle.

In the instance of the Yamaha Yamalube 10W-40 I showed a photo of earlier in this thread, the registration code shows the international telephone number prefix of Japan (081), but the bottle actually says "Made in the USA". If someone really wants to know where the oil was made they should look at the "Made in XXXX" on the bottle.

1666813014999.png

They verify the oil meets the specification/requirements per the JASO documents from test data submitted by the oil manufacturer, and then "register" the oil as JASO Approved after the data and payment is submitted to JASO.
JASO does not register an oil as "JASO Approved". It's just a registration. In fact, JASO inspects labels before registering an oil to be certain that it does not state or imply JASO approval, certification or endorsement in anyway.

JASO does not register an oil as "JASO Approved". It's just a registration. In fact, JASO inspects labels before registering an oil to be certain that it does not state or imply JASO approval, certification or endorsement in anyway.
True, as far as that goes.

JASO also has a right to "Market Survey" which is really enforcement, including sampling labeled oils for performance against the standard.

I basically meant "JASO approved" in the sense that the oil meets the requirements of JASO specs outlined in the JASO documentation. If the oil doesn't meet the outlined JASO requirements then it can't be approved for registration.

Is there a link to this thread?
Buried in this thread.

Rotella T6 5w40, 15w40 and T4 15w40..... Shell states on the bottle that those three oils meet the JASO clutch cert.

Is anyone aware of any other HDEO that makes the same statement on their bottles?

I have three Super Walmarts within 30 miles of me and none of them have had the three oils above on the shelves for at least the last 3 months. My Rotella stash on my shelves is running very low. Sure, I found some on the shelf at Auto Zone, but they wanted $36 a bottle, rather than the $22-$24 a bottle that Walmart has it priced at.

I am aware that others have successfully used Delvac and other HDEO's with success and good reports on clutch performance, but I am just wondering if anyone besides Rotella state they meet JASO?

No Im not aware of any other HDEO's with a jaso Ma claim, auto zone you definitely pay a premium for oil over Walmart.

But some auto oils might display a jaso MB claim, and thats bad for wet clutch.

No Im not aware of any other HDEO's with a jaso Ma claim, auto zone you definitely pay a premium for oil over Walmart.

But some auto oils might display a jaso MB claim, and thats bad for wet clutch.
Lucas Oil High Performance Synthetic 10W30 Motorcycle Oil has CC/CD as well as JASO MA/MA2 (Seems to be just Meets/exceeds, as I don't see Lucas in the 4T list.). But not cheap at $15/qt.

Here's the big list, knock yourself out. Tell us what you find.

I just checked a few Walmarts in my area and they all have T6 15w40. None of them have T6 5w40 or T4 15w40.
It looks like Home Depot has them all, at very competitive prices.

Back