HDEO and JASO

Rotella T6 5w40, 15w40 and T4 15w40..... Shell states on the bottle that those three oils meet the JASO clutch cert.

Is anyone aware of any other HDEO that makes the same statement on their bottles?

I have three Super Walmarts within 30 miles of me and none of them have had the three oils above on the shelves for at least the last 3 months. My Rotella stash on my shelves is running very low. Sure, I found some on the shelf at Auto Zone, but they wanted $36 a bottle, rather than the $22-$24 a bottle that Walmart has it priced at.

I am aware that others have successfully used Delvac and other HDEO's with success and good reports on clutch performance, but I am just wondering if anyone besides Rotella state they meet JASO?

Rotella T6 5w40, 15w40 and T4 15w40..... Shell states on the bottle that those three oils meet the JASO clutch cert.

Is anyone aware of any other HDEO that makes the same statement on their bottles?

I have three Super Walmarts within 30 miles of me and none of them have had the three oils above on the shelves for at least the last 3 months. My Rotella stash on my shelves is running very low. Sure, I found some on the shelf at Auto Zone, but they wanted $36 a bottle, rather than the $22-$24 a bottle that Walmart has it priced at.

I am aware that others have successfully used Delvac and other HDEO's with success and good reports on clutch performance, but I am just wondering if anyone besides Rotella state they meet JASO?

I've used Delvac on my XR650R one time. The shifting was just horrible even after a few hours of use. This is coming from a long time T4 user (still use it). The old bike just likes T4. On other bikes, Ive used T6 where the shifting only became notchy after 2-3,000 miles of use.

Just order T4 online, ships to your door for free with 2 gal.

Does Auto Zone price match? I've done that before at other stores when Canadian tire runs out of their on sale oil. I don't get greedy with it though, just a jug or two, and the other store doesn't mind doing that.

You might be able to order it from Wamlart on-line and pick it up at the store of your choosing, with no shipping charges involved.

Amsoil Premium Protection 20W-50 (SL/CL-4) explicitly claims wet-clutch compatibility. But JASO MA was not listed anyway.

why not use a motorcycle oil?
Amsoil Premium Protection 20W-50 (SL/CL-4) explicitly claims wet-clutch compatibility. But JASO MA was not listed anyway.

Ridiculously expensive......

Between the wife and I.... we have 8 bikes.

Does Auto Zone price match? I've done that before at other stores when Canadian tire runs out of their on sale oil. I don't get greedy with it though, just a jug or two, and the other store doesn't mind doing that.

Good thought.....

You might be able to order it from Wamlart on-line and pick it up at the store of your choosing, with no shipping charges involved.

My last Rotella order was about 9 months ago.... online. Today and for the past 3 months... can't buy T6 15w40 online.

My last Rotella order was about 9 months ago.... online. Today and for the past 3 months... can't buy T6 15w40 online.
I just checked on-line all the Walmarts in my area (over 20), and can't order it on-line, and it's not in the stores. I'd say Walmart has stopped selling it if other auto parts store currently sell it.

Between the wife and I.... we have 8 bikes.
You might want to look at Mobil Delvac MX or Delvac Extreme 15W-40. Both hold up very well as was shown in many UOA. Valvoline VR1 20W-50 and Mobil Delvac MX III 20W-50 are also pretty stout.
They all do great for a good price tag and definitely will not disappoint.

I usually see it for a good price at Tractor Supply. You could also check Rural King or Farm and Fleet, etc.

Costs 2x for marketing.
You might want to look at Mobil Delvac MX or Delvac Extreme 15W-40. Both hold up very well as was shown in many UOA. Valvoline VR1 20W-50 and Mobil Delvac MX III 20W-50 are also pretty stout.
They all do great for a good price tag and definitely will not disappoint.

I'd recommend Mobil 1 15w-50 as well if you're stepping up to a 50w

Honestly Rotella should continue to meet or exceed any of your needs

If one can get pass the lure of oil can marketing and digest the contents they might note just how comparable Auto versus Motorcycle oils really are...

full-45634-35548-asmoil10w40v10w40m1.jpg

Rotella T4 & T6 do not claim to meet the JASO MA/MA2 certification. They claim to meet the performance specification. This is an important distinction. You can't "meet a certification" anyway -- either your product is certified or it is not. In the case of Rotella, the product is not JASO MA/MA2 certified. But if Shell puts their reputation on the line by saying it meets the spec, well... it is most likely a good oil and many motorcycle owners have many years of good experience with Rotella.

Rotella T4 & T6 do not claim to meet the JASO MA/MA2 certification. They claim to meet the performance specification. This is an important distinction. You can't "meet a certification" anyway -- either your product is certified or it is not. In the case of Rotella, the product is not JASO MA/MA2 certified. But if Shell puts their reputation on the line by saying it meets the spec, well... it is most likely a good oil and many motorcycle owners have many years of good experience with Rotella.
JASO doesn't certify anything.

You get the JASO "certification/registration" logo on the bottle if the oil maker shows all the proof to JASO that it meets all the JASO specifications/requirements, and also pays money to JASO to have the oil registered as "JASO Approved".

Casrtol Power 1 M/C Oil with no JASO registration. Just says "exceeds industry specifications" similat to what Rotella and others claim.

1665006873771.png

Yamaha "Yamalube" M/C oil with the JASO registration logo.

1665007027327.png

Last edited:
JASO doesn't certify anything.
They verify the oil meets the specification/requirements per the JASO documents from test data submitted by the oil manufacturer, and then "register" the oil as JASO Approved after the data and payment is submitted to JASO.

Last edited:
They verify the oil meets the specification/requirements per the JASO documents from test data submitted by the oil manufacturer, and then "register" the oil as JASO Approved after the data and payment is submitted to JASO.
JASO doesn't test to verify requirements... they only register oils at $365.00 a pop times 1,537 JASO registered
oils = $561,000 profit... Even if an submitter's paper work fails to meet specs their name will not be identify so
they will not lose market share... in other words JASO knows who failed but the public will never know...
In my opinion JASO is not much help because testing whether the oil pass muster or not falls right back to the owner...

Last edited:
Back