Havoline 6qt box

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a Havoline box of 10-30 conventional for my yard equipment. All have a 2 qt sump. Very convenient and at a good price point.

Went to walmart today pick up 2 box for doing 2 oil change on a ford and a Nissan Armada, I guess I be joining the 6qt box club. These halvoline 6 qt box,, dino to full synthetic. properly be my to go oil from now.

While im at it, i pick out an OCOD Fram oil filter. take a peek inside, i saw a shiny thing at the bottom, i though it just clear glue, but after put my pinky thru it, its clear oil, look like almost half table spoon of oil in middle bottom of the oil filter. put back on the shelf and walk away, look like fram OCOD fate and I never gonna be together lol.

IMG_2301.JPG

IMG_2306.JPG

IMG_2304.JPG

Originally Posted by PimTac
That oil might have been a rust preventative measure.

Welcome to the Havoline Smart Change club.

Thanks, i am happy with the purchase, I hope penzoil or QS, Valvoline , follow this trend. Possible we see 7qt in the future ? some truck do take 7 quart
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MetalSlug

Thanks, i am happy with the purchase, I hope penzoil or QS, Valvoline , follow this trend. Possible we see 7qt in the future ? some truck do take 7 quart
grin2.gif

I think the box is a great idea and others will follow as well. As for a bigger box, my guess is that weight comes into play.

I would like to see the quart sizes come in a box as well.

grin2.gif

I think the box is a great idea and others will follow as well. As for a bigger box, my guess is that weight comes into play.

I would like to see the quart sizes come in a box as well.

do you remember a few years ago, I think valvoline having 5.5 qt in a gallon. then they stop making it. and back to 5qt,

More manufacturers will find through marketing studies, that there is a demand for a 6 quart container. I have no preference for the product, but will buy it because of container size, and if the price per quart is reasonable. Actually, I have no preference for any brand. I will use any brand, as long as it meets OEM spec and it is cheap.

quick update, I dont know its just me or the way the box design, but whenever you try to pour out the first time, make sure you have big funnel , cause it can spill easy. I might try take out the whole bag off the box and pour out that way, mabe it easy then when it inside the box.

also take the bag off the box and squeeze out much oil you can
grin2.gif

I'll have to check with my local transfer station, make sure they will accept waste oil returned in one of these boxes first. If they do, maybe I'll give it a shot, if it's cheaper than Supertech. Only "problem" is, I've got one vehicle that takes 4 quarts (and burns a quart over its 5k OCI), one at 5 quarts, and one at 8 quarts. No biggie but definitely not quite as easy as tipping in single quart containers (but OTOH single quart containers are a nuisance when refilling with waste oil).

Originally Posted by supton
I'll have to check with my local transfer station, make sure they will accept waste oil returned in one of these boxes first. If they do, maybe I'll give it a shot, if it's cheaper than Supertech. Only "problem" is, I've got one vehicle that takes 4 quarts (and burns a quart over its 5k OCI), one at 5 quarts, and one at 8 quarts. No biggie but definitely not quite as easy as tipping in single quart containers (but OTOH single quart containers are a nuisance when refilling with waste oil).

why dont you return where ONLY place you can bought it from ? ( Think ).

Originally Posted by supton

why dont you return where ONLY place you can bought it from ? ( Think ).

I've never bothered to look into that--I've always had the transfer station take my oil and antifreeze. On Saturday morning, while wearing grubby clothes, I can take all my waste stuff in. But I usually buy oil from Walmart on the way into work, while I'm neatly dressed. Maybe one of these days I'll ask the auto center how to drop off oil, and if they take waste oil in this box. Means two trips to Walmart but that's not huge work I guess.

For a while it was great when I had a vacuum extractor, as the transfer station had a tank where I could dump the oil into. No need to refill old bottles. Was sad when they got rid of the tank.

I think my town used to sell the waste oil, or give it to local shops for burning--I should ask about that too.

Edit: now that I think about it, in 25 years or so of changing oil, I might never have returned oil to the store I bought it from--always went to the transfer station. Heck for the 11 years I owned my VW, I bought my oil online! no way was I going to ship oil back to the online vendor!
lol.gif

Last edited:
You know what I got...

A one qt size Havoline high mileage container. It is easier to pour from a qt container. So I got both
smile.gif

IMG_20190420_220350871.jpg

Back to walmart this morning, to buy the 6 qt halvoline full syn for my 03 Cobra whipple supercharger , with Motorcraft FL820S , start up all quiet, i am very happy with this 6qt oil , since I put just about 100 miles a years, this will be my 1 years oil change. Until other came up with 6qt box, i am continue using this oil for everything I own.

IMG_2495.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

Just changed mine this morning to the Havoline Pro DS. Because of bad timing I wasn't able to get the box but had to settle for the old fashioned plastic jug instead.

Love this smart box idea - the box is nearly impossible to tamper with, given the pull tab seal. I'm currently running the HM blend, I'll be switching to the ProDS this winter now that Walmart stocks it for store pickup where I live.

Originally Posted by RonRonnster
Love this smart box idea - the box is nearly impossible to tamper with, given the pull tab seal. I'm currently running the HM blend, I'll be switching to the ProDS this winter now that Walmart stocks it for store pickup where I live.

I agree. That is a huge positive for the box. In addition you can still use the bag for the old oil and recycle the cardboard when done.

Originally Posted by RonRonnster

I agree. That is a huge positive for the box. In addition you can still use the bag for the old oil and recycle the cardboard when done.

Same here . This is third time I use it . I feel took the bag off the box and fill that way . Or take the bag off and squeeze much oil left out . Put the bag back to the box and fill with old oil , then take to Walmart next time I go shopping .

Quick update review on this 8 box : well after 8 box of this stuff . I kinda don't like it . Not the oil . But the box . I think I spill more oil and making a mess more then the jug.

For example . When you try fill the oil filter . It's not easy and it will spill even with the small funnel

Second : when you try break the seal on the side , to put your hand on for grap . If you already open the cap and you stick your hand on the side to fast , where your kinda kinda hit the bag . Oil will spill to the top .

Third : i don't feel comfortable storage left over oil on that plastic bag . So I pour left over oil onto another old ( clean ) jug and storage that way .

#4 : hard to see a quart mark on a box . It should be label on the top also . Not just bottom . I need a quart of oil to measure that , I have to pour it onto another gallon to measure .

I'm thinking going back to gallon jug for my next oil change . I'm making mess with this box type .

For cheap oil . I think the Quaker state made better oil the next halvoline .

For example . When you try fill the oil filter . It's not easy and it will spill even with the small funnel

Try doing that with the Motorcraft 6 gallon box. Or pick up the 6 gallon box, and pour 5.4 quarts into your engine.

Get a big pitcher with volume marks. Something you find in the kitchen and housewares section is fine. Try getting a 6 quart pitcher. Pour from box, into the pitcher. Then use the pitcher to transfer oil into your funnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back