Have you driven a Ford lately?

I work in the aviation industry. It's pretty clear automotive manufacturers don't design or build much of anything to last. Maybe that's why it annoys me so much when people say "the manufacturer knows best" when it's so clear they don't, er, ah, or maybe they do and don't care...

I believe it was 2011 when they surpassed Toyota at JD Power (big deal) and then they released the 2012 Focus, with that DCT and Sync. They never recovered, and they're rushing their cars through design and manufacturing before getting them right. I just looked up at the headliner in my 2018 Mustang last night and found a giant water stain. Third brake light is letting water into the cabin. Can't wait to find out how long it will take a dealership to deal with this.

I just looked up at the headliner in my 2018 Mustang last night and found a giant water stain. Third brake light is letting water into the cabin. Can't wait to find out how long it will take a dealership to deal with this.
Yikes, do you think they will replace the stained parts? My local dealership would probably fix the bad gasket and tell me to go on my way.

My 2018 Edge has had two recalls. My son's 2020 Explorer has lots of recalls and is going into the shop soon for cam phaser replacements, 3.0 ecoboost engine. First one the service advisor has seen. Son bought the extended warranty so its on Ford. Vehicle has only 76K on it. Frequent oil changes with Valvoline syn only. His Honda Odyssey has the VCM problem fixed with a muzzler. Agree with Cujet about manufacturers not building things that last.

I think we're both done buying Fords.

IMO depends on what Ford your buying. My 04 and 15 F150 have been reliable. BUT my experience with a small cop fleet of Explorer's and Taurus' they were not reliable at all. And I had a 97 Explorer, 2002 Explorer that exceeded 220k with very few repairs. Newer models do not have the same longevity in them. I would buy another F150 but wouldn't touch a Ford sedan. Nor a Chevy for that matter.

Sad to say our Challengers, both 6cyl and 8cyl, were junk as well.

Yes, I drive one every day. Been mostly trouble-free, nothing but routine maintenance and replacement of wear items as expected based on age, mileage, and my harsh driving style. All maintenance and repairs has been cost effective and easy to do myself.

The Maverick Hybrid is one of the best values in the car marketplace right now and if I win the lottery that's what I'm buying for my partner and my mom.

Explorer ST is one of my dream cars.

No manufacturer is perfect. Ford makes many mistakes, and there are definitely Fords I would never buy or recommend, but they're still typically better than anything HyunKia or Stellantis/FCA put together.

Even Honda and Toyota don't make them like they used do. So what is left?
Walking I guess but when I can walk three miles to work in 10 minutes without getting rained on, or go visit my family or partner an hour away in different directions on the same day by walking, I will sell my car :)

But but but.... trust the engineers, trust the manufacturer.... and my favorite... "modern manufacturing" this and that

I've notice a few diehard Ford fanatics at work driving new non-Ford products. Some picked up Mopar and GM products, and I can only think that they practice self-flagellation

Even Honda and Toyota don't make them like they used do. So what is left?
None of them it seems. :( Takes the desire out of looking for new, but then plunges me into the abyss of shopping used, what with all the handwringing over this and that failure modes (let alone opinions).

I've had good luck with them. Only one recall on the Edge and it is no big deal. I haven't even addressed it yet. It's never had any service.

I had the Mustang back once at six months for a leaking seal (obviously under warranty). Nothing else has ever gone wrong.

Back