Have you driven a Ford lately?

My perception, unfortunately, is that virtually every manufacturer has taken a dive in quality and durability in the past 10 years. It's one thing to complain about major things going wrong with a car that is 12+ years old and has 150,000+ miles. It's a different thing to have the same kind of failure in a car that's only 2 years old with 25,000 miles, but I'm hearing a lot of that now.
How about some examples? Knowing what vehicles have issues may help others in making a buying decision.

40 years of Fords, and we've had great service from our Ford vehicles. Recalls? Yes, but they've all been minor things. Some of them fall into the "why bother" category. Nothing major here.
You must be getting the good ones. I've had 30 years of bad luck. I hate that they make good looking vehicles.

One of my Fords is sitting in my sisters driveway waiting forme or tow truck to come and get it. Fuel pump died and now. Has to have the bed slid back to replace it. Only made it to 99k. My Dodge ram one went 221k. I

I don't think it has anything to do with engineers specifically, it has to do with bean counters and marketing, and only allowing engineering that is "good enough".
True however if engineers were the sole deciders of when projects were complete everything be over engineered, over budget, and over due. I work with engineers everyday and they can turn a simple project into a career.

Wouldn't you say that was on the upper limit of ok? I mean, I get it, it was after 160k and 8yr, not a bad run really, nothing lasts forever, but to me, as an utter appliance driver, I would find myself telling myself "it's cheaper than a car payment". Which much of the general public won't.
4 repairs over a twelve year run? I thought that far better than the upper limit of ok. Would have driven it longer but it was my wife’s and didn’t want her getting stranded.

4 repairs over a twelve year run? I thought that far better than the upper limit of ok. Would have driven it longer but it was my wife’s and didn’t want her getting stranded.
I was dissatisfied with my Tundra, it needed 2 within the 8 years I owned it. And the brakes were always freezing up on it. Wife’s Camry only needed brakes in the ten she had it, along with an hvac fan, although when it went away it was going to need a lot of work to keep going.

Not sure what a good metric here is, everyone has a different tolerance for repairs. I suspect everyone is going to have a different opinion.

I don't believe any auto manufacturer makes garbage. Someone has to fall on the short end of the recall stick every year - just Ford's turn in 2022. I'd still gladly own a few Ford products.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4WD
Disagree on “garbage” , they have duds and a few decent offerings like every other car maker out there .
OK, dud. I guess we view them in different ways. Ten or so years ago I would never have called them garbage, in fact I might have defended them. I do keep an open mind maybe one day they'll win me back. As it stands now I seriously doubt it. FTR my 88 E-150 is still one of my two favorite vehicles.

The only cars I’ve ever owned that didn’t constantly break down are my Japanese. All my family’s domestics kept the local mechanics in business. Fords and GMs both.

None of our Japanese cars have ever broken down.

But, I’ve always loved V8 Mustangs with standard transmission;)

Currently on my 4th F150 (current is a 2016 F150 XLT 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost Supercrew) and 3rd Explorer (current is a 2021 Explorer XLT with the 2.3 Ecoboost in AWD .)

The F150 had several recalls - block heater cord, seat track bolt, freezing door latches (have not actually experienced the issue), and pretensioner ignitor. Dealer took care of all of them in one shot as I waited until parts were available. One repair under warranty that had a TSB for the issue (a revised check valve was installed in an oil cooler line to one of the turbos). Also handled quickly by the dealer. All in all, this is my favorite F150 I've owned by far and I won't hesitate to buy another. 101,000 miles in 6.5 years. One battery (consumable part), and a set of brakes at 98,000 miles (also a consumable part).

The Explorer has been problem free to date. 1.5 years and 24,000 miles. No recalls or warranty issues. It has become our favorite winter driving vehicle to date (with our winter tires on it).

Of the 7 ford vehicles I've owned, my least favorite were the 2004 F150 (5.4 3V - got rid of mine at 184,000 miles and it needed the timing chains and phasers done) and the 2007 Explorer (4.6 3V with the 6R80 - this one was a maintenance hog and gas pig. Was not sorry to see it go). By and large they have worked well for us, and I wouldn't have an issue buying another tomorrow.

Work buys hundreds of 1/2 ton and heavy duty trucks every year. Reality is between the Rams, Gm products, and Fords, we see similar maintenance costs, just different issues with all of them. (We are nearly all Gas on the heavy duty side - we don't tow long distances).

I'm always amused by the comments that my "fill in the blank" never broke down. Amazing how even the favored or supposedly can do no wrong brands still have giant shops at the dealerships... Apparently working on nothing - ha, ha...

The only cars I’ve ever owned that didn’t constantly break down are my Japanese. All my family’s domestics kept the local mechanics in business. Fords and GMs both.

None of our Japanese cars have ever broken down.

But, I’ve always loved V8 Mustangs with standard transmission;)

My family's Japanese cars were the only ones that seemed to break, and the only ones to have major powertrain failures. (5-speed autos in Acura and Nissan).

The only Ford that interests me is the Maverick.

My family's Japanese cars were the only ones that seemed to break, and the only ones to have major powertrain failures. (5-speed autos in Acura and Nissan).

The only Ford that interests me is the Maverick.
Seems like the rules of thumb change every decade or so. Domestic was top of the pile and imports were crap. Then that reversed. Then that difference went away. Now it's each model and model iteration duking it out. Rules of thumb have gone out the window.

Seems like the rules of thumb change every decade or so. Domestic was top of the pile and imports were crap. Then that reversed. Then that difference went away. Now it's each model and model iteration duking it out. Rules of thumb have gone out the window.

Yeah I'm not a fan of painting an entire continent of vehicles with a broad brush.

My wife and I have owned quite a few vehicles since the year 2000. We’ve owned Dodge trucks, a Hyundai, two KIAs, two Fords, and a VW.
Of all of them, the 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 Super Cab was the absolute worst. All of the others gave pretty good service.
I’m approaching 30,000 miles on my 2020 F-150. Two minor recalls that were taken care. It’s been pretty much trouble free.
I would consider a Ford as a replacement for our VW, when the time comes.

I never down talk any brands of anything without direct experience. My GMs (Oldsmobiles) ended up basically being brand new cars in the end, because literally everything on the cars but the engines (all 3800s) wound up being replaced. Seemed like a repair a week, like clockwork. My gf's old Mustang ate transmissions, had the complete front end rebuilt four times, thermostat housing four plus times, alternators, water pumps, AC, etc. My sister's Taurus was a roadside repair queen. My bil's F150 fell to pieces.

Again, not downing any brands, this is my personal experience.

My wife and I have owned quite a few vehicles since the year 2000. We’ve owned Dodge trucks, a Hyundai, two KIAs, two Fords, and a VW.
Of all of them, the 2001 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 Super Cab was the absolute worst. All of the others gave pretty good service.
I’m approaching 30,000 miles on my 2020 F-150. Two minor recalls that were taken care. It’s been pretty much trouble free.
I would consider a Ford as a replacement for our VW, when the time comes.
My friend Sara has a 17 Tiguan, and I swear that's one of the most rock solid, sturdy, and well built cars I've ever ridden in.

My friend Sara has a 17 Tiguan, and I swear that's one of the most rock solid, sturdy, and well built cars I've ever ridden in.
We like our 2019. The major problem is not having a VW dealership closer than 70 miles. There are three Ford dealerships within a 30 mile radius. The closest being 12 miles away.

Just traded in a 16 explorer limited for a 22 ST. Only fords I have ever owned. The limited was in good shape but just hit 80k miles and the dreaded water pump and PTU issues made me dislike it. So far so good. The 20+ explorers had some issues but seemed to be ironed out now. Most of the recalls and TSBs where for small issues. I would rather have a ton of recalls if stuff is getting fixed, over a brand that just lets it roll and hopes they make it past warranty date.

Guess time will tell. I did purchase the extended warranty... I have always advised against that but being brand new, and a ford I risked it.

Back