Has PAO % of Mobil 1 0W20 EP been Reduced?

In my observations (searching and reading uoas) the current M1 product is superior to the old product. Remember how people always noted noisy engines and high iron wear metals? Looking at current uoas, it has some of the lowest wear metals and quiet and smooth running engines are reported.

Maybe Shell is onto something with that GTL stuff.

Maybe, but some are clearly better than others. I'll support the USA every time.
The problem with your argument is I can almost guarantee you have purchased products that were not made in the US...So the whole I support the USA argument everytime doesn't hold water...

The problem with your argument is I can almost guarantee you have purchased products that were not made in the US...So the whole I support the USA argument everytime doesn't hold water...
Well, that's cute way to justify your feelings, but the obvious assumption is when a competitive product from the US is available. Nobody can buy 100% American these days. But in the case of Valvoline vs. M1, I'll get what I believe is a superior oil for a competitive price, from a US based company. (Nothing against the Valvoline product. I think it is very good.)

Maybe, but some are clearly better than others. I'll support the USA every time.
I agree to manufacture and buy domestic first, I was in manufacturing in the USA for 30 years.

But we are getting shafted buy these companies lately and it's ruining the economy.

I just saw $18B earning last qtr vs $5B same qtr last year from a major domestic oil producer.

Dwell on that. It makes me sick.

How did “PAO content in Mobil1” thread got hi-jacked into “buy American”?
Well since we are never going to find out and only had thinly documented guesses in the past - unless a XoM formulator/blender lurking here is willing to "spill the beans" - and that is never going to happen. It's moot.

Like 98.54% of the discussions :)

I agree to manufacture and buy domestic first, I was in manufacturing in the USA for 30 years.

But we are getting shafted buy these companies lately and it's ruining the economy.

I just saw $18B earning last qtr vs $5B same qtr last year from a major domestic oil producer.

Dwell on that. It makes me sick.
Same here! **** those evil capitalists making profits for their shareholders! /sarc
FYI…Exxon Mobil lost $22B just 2 years ago, but no one complained then when the oil workers were being laid off left and right due to the oil prices being too low to be profitable.

Not sure what you mean.

Group III+ has oxidative stability reaching that of PAO. If it can hold up for 20k in the reference worst case scenario, then perhaps it’s fine.
I believe this is the reason, the GTL based oil performance is pretty similar with PAO, cleans better and cheaper. I think European producer has put this formulation for years even for long drain BMW spec driven in autobahn

I believe this is the reason, the GTL based oil performance is pretty similar with PAO, cleans better and cheaper. I think European producer has put this formulation for years even for long drain BMW spec driven in autobahn
GTL doesn't clean any better than PAO, the beauty of GTL is that it comes even closer than traditional group III in many of the performance metrics where group III approaches PAO, such as oxidation resistance, and it also has better cold temperature performance than traditional Group III's, but still not as good as PAO (as it's still a waxy base, unlike PAO).

However, the more severely hydrocracked a base is, the more "dry" it is. Ergo, GTL also has solvency that approaches PAO, and Group III already wasn't much better than PAO in that department, so ultimately you are pairing them with something that improves solvency. This can be a splash of ester, AN, or even lower group bases. The one thing GTL has going for it (as does Group III) is that it doesn't have the seal shrink tendency that PAO has, so you don't have to use AN's or esters to counter it. So, if you are blending something that's price sensitive, this can really help, as not only do you get to skip the expensive PAO, but you also get to skip the expensive POE and AN's, you can just use some lower group carrier base for solvency. Now, that doesn't preclude one from using AN's or say POE in making the product better, but when we are talking price point...

I went to my local Walmart yesterday to purchase 1 or 2 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 0W20 EP. Supply on hand has been nonexistent in recent weeks.

This time, I was confronted with a sea of new “Triple Action Formula” 0W20 EP. At the very top shelf was a single jug of the “old” version. The Walmart worker was quite pissed 😡 off, when I asked her to drag her ladder over for that top jug. The back and forth conversation kept going like, “It’s all the same/ no, I want THAT jug/ It’s all the same, she shouted, just a new label.” When she finally gave me that top jug (under the threat of a VISUAL assault), I thanked her and quickly exited her department.

Going forward, I think this might be my last jug of 0W20 EP - At least until I have more information. I have been using it since around 2013. I don’t even see any benefit claims on the jug of Triple Action Formula over the current version. Just marketing talk. My suspicions are the high content PAO percentage is now “watered down,” so that it now performs closer to Advanced Fuel Economy 0W20. I may jump ship to one of the HPL 0W20 choices. Like they say, “pricey oil is cheaper than pricey engine parts - every time.”

What do you think?

The back and forth conversation kept going like, “It’s all the same/ no, I want THAT jug/ It’s all the same, she shouted, just a new label
They might be right, we dont know if new label means new SDS and old label means old SDS. There is no guarantee with either one.

They might be right, we dont know if new label means new SDS and old label means old SDS. There is no guarantee with either one.
I am going to take a very uneducated guess that the new label is the new formula. But to be on the safe side you could refer to the production date on the bottle. My recent clearance 0W-20 EP was the old stock. It was made in March. The SDS was update in June/July. So I would venture anything made after late May would be the new formulation. But these are all uneducated guesses.

I am going to take a very uneducated guess that the new label is the new formula. But to be on the safe side you could refer to the production date on the bottle. My recent clearance 0W-20 EP was the old stock. It was made in March. The SDS was update in June/July. So I would venture anything made after late May would be the new formulation. But these are all uneducated guesses.

Unless confirmed by Mobil1 it will be just a guess. They could have changed formulation first and then released SDS months later. New bottles say gen3 dexos, but tech documentation still says gen2. So we know that documentation is not inline with their products.

considering they added moly to the new sds i think its safe to say the new sds aligns with the new label. They upped moly to 100 ppm and they also have a new revision number on the back or the bottles/jugs indicating an updated formula.

considering they added moly to the new sds i think its safe to say the new sds aligns with the new label. They upped moly to 100 ppm and they also have a new revision number on the back or the bottles/jugs indicating an updated formula.
Yeah, there's a number on the jug, that's the easiest way to determine.

Back