Has PAO % of Mobil 1 0W20 EP been Reduced?

Sure. mobil1 is giving us better things for less cost. Kumbaya

Not saying they aren't, but the MSDS pour points are not the same as the finished product, it may only account for one of maybe four different base oils used and then of course there are depressants and VII's added...

Your car and thousands of people will not send you mean tweets if it has the API sticker!

True and focusing on the pour point only at -39C now is head scratching. How many here actually drive at those temperatures? Perhaps a few but I would think that when it gets that cold there are other preventative measures in place like heaters and such.

True and focusing on the pour point only at -39C now is head scratching. How many here actually drive at those temperatures? Perhaps a few but I would think that when it gets that cold there are other preventative measures in place like heaters and such.
And if it does start, your trans, power steering pump and brake pedal are going to confirm how cold it is.

So many would care less about the pour point temperature. Unless you are curious about the formulation. One of the strong points of PAO is the temperature range. But if you buy PAO base oil you have to wonder what it excels in that sold you.

Last edited:
So many would care less about the pour point temperature. Unless you are curious about the formulation. One of the strong points of PAO is the temperature range. But if you buy PAO base oil you have to wonder what it excels in that sold you.
Yep, couldn’t care less about the pour point here. Less volatility and less need for VII were the selling points for me with PAO-heavy oils.

The change likely is for the new extended performance jugs labeled "triple action +power" buy up all the old label 0w20 ep and live happily ever after
Good to know, just checked the label...don’t see anything with triple action +power on it. And I’m not saying the new formula is “bad”, it’s just that I want the PAO. It’s a mental thing. And these last 6 months have been my first journey into the 10,000 mile oil change intervals

Good to know, just checked the label...don’t see anything with triple action +power on it. And I’m not saying the new formula is “bad”, it’s just that I want the PAO. It’s a mental thing. And these last 6 months have been my first journey into the 10,000 mile oil change intervals
The triple action label is the hm version of ep.

This is starting to turn into a wake for M1 but it shouldn’t be.

Again, the oils still meet all the specs and licenses. Saying you are going to quit M1 because of the lack of PAO and start using another oil that doesn’t have have any PAO in it makes little sense.
Little sense is all you need. We split hairs around here all day, PAO made the Mobil1 unique in a sense. Without that - and with licenses/specs being “equal“ - in an oil discussion forum some wanted something a little different/unique/more. That‘s changed, it makes sense to find something else. A little. And if they/you/me, don’t find that, buy whatever is on rebate/sale, and if that’s Mobil1? Fine.

For the past 10-12 years I could go to oil discussions on a lot of different forums and Mobil1 EP was recognized as the only off the shelf reasonably priced oil that had a high PAO percentage in it, that the boutique oils apparently had. And now it doesn’t (apparently). It’s not the end of Mobil/Exxon, but as a consumer it is interesting and it’s why people shop around. IMO

Sort of resurrecting an older thread. I found some Jugs of M1 0W20 EP on Rollback at walmart for great price. The production date says it was bottled in March of 22. While I know it will be purely speculation. Anyone think they might still be the 70%+ PAO blend, since the SDS was updated in June? I bought WAY TOO MANY Bottles! OFAD (Oil & Filter Acquisition Disorder) Strikes again.

Sort of resurrecting an older thread. I found some Jugs of M1 0W20 EP on Rollback at walmart for great price. The production date says it was bottled in March of 22. While I know it will be purely speculation. Anyone think they might still be the 70%+ PAO blend, since the SDS was updated in June? I bought WAY TOO MANY Bottles! OFAD (Oil & Filter Acquisition Disorder) Strikes again.
I think thats still the old formula unless it says both dexos 1 gen 3 and triple action formula on the label. I believe thats when the switch is being made

In my observations (searching and reading uoas) the current M1 product is superior to the old product. Remember how people always noted noisy engines and high iron wear metals? Looking at current uoas, it has some of the lowest wear metals and quiet and smooth running engines are reported.

Back