Has PAO % of Mobil 1 0W20 EP been Reduced?

Maybe it meets the specs, but no longer exceeds them. I find it hard to believe that they were able to substitute PAO with a cheaper alternative without any downsides. We will never know.
How would one know which specific specs any particular oil exceeds and by how much?

Yeah, I’m thinking along similar lines. If the PAO is reduced I’ll shop around for something else.

I just purchased a five quart jug of Mobil1 0w20 EP off Amazon a month ago...hopefully it has the 70% PAO ratio I was expecting. But I’ll be shopping around for other brands now and probably reducing my intervals into the 7,500 range.
The change likely is for the new extended performance jugs labeled "triple action +power" buy up all the old label 0w20 ep and live happily ever after

The change likely is for the new extended performance jugs labeled "triple action +power" buy up all the old label 0w20 ep and live happily ever after
I wonder if there is anything encoded into serial number that shows a change in formulation?

I wonder if there is anything encoded into serial number that shows a change in formulation?
There is a revision number on the back of the jugs. Its a 4 digit number and the current one is 5888. Im sure ones the new labels are out they will be different revision numbers

so is it fair to say I just bought some from Walmart last week, assuming this would still be the older high poa content...and as the weeks roll on eventually it will be fazed out with production runs after June 14th???
11022e21a 5888 is the production run #'s if anybody can decipher..

Last edited:
MSDS Material Safety Data Sheet =
What do Firefighters need to know?
What are the personnel health hazards of the chemicals?
What are the environmental hazards?
Are there special handling and storage requirements?

MSDS for frozen pizza won't give you the recipe for the sauce.

MSDS Material Safety Data Sheet =
What do Firefighters need to know?
What are the personnel health hazards of the chemicals?
What are the environmental hazards?
Are there special handling and storage requirements?

MSDS for frozen pizza won't give you the recipe for the sauce.
Nobody is claiming it to be a recipe... its basically all we have as a glimpse of what could be inside the bottles

Do you know if they plant or batch code or month they change formulation?

Do you know if they plant or batch code or month they change formulation?
No. Theres no way to know that. The revision number will likely be different on the new label jugs. Whether the base oil change occured on the current label jugs theres really no way to know as the revision number doesnt change for base oil blend changes... atleast thats my understanding of it. Im sure if the viscosity @40/100 were to change the revision number would change to. The revision number is the same on ep 5w30 and ep 0w20. I have a quart or each and its 5888. Im sure the triple action labels will have a different revision number as it is a formula change. I dont think changing the base oil constitutes a formula change as long as the viscosity and add pack remains the same. Thats my understanding of the revision number.

Considering they now list moly in the msds and they did not begin to list moly until the new triple action labels rolled out. The only triple action uoa thats been posted shows 100 ppm of moly where previously they have historically used about 80 ppm of moly for the past 18 or so years. The only other oil they list moly in the msds is the 0w30/0w50 racing oils which contain over 1600 ppm of moly. They list that as 1-5% organo moly sulfur etc and this oil and all other triple action formula as 0.1-1% organo moly sulfur so my guess is that they begin to list moly at the 100 ppm level which is what i believe these new oils use. Now considering they added moly to the msds and also showed a change in base oil makeup i would hypothesize that this change wont be seen until the mobil 1 extended performance 0w20 labels say dexos 1 gen 3 and triple action +power along with a new revision number. I have not seen these new labels yet in my area. Only on ep hm, vanilla, afe, truck and suv, and m1 hm

Back