Has anyone found oil consumption info regarding Honda Motors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Corvette Owner:
My 1991 Acura Integra never used a drop of oil for the 60,000 miles that I had it. Used Mobil 1.

Was it the GSR model with DOHC VTEC? Usually the engines with this setup use oil, not the "lesser" versions.

My F20C is averaging 1 liter/3200kms. The rate depends the amount of vtec instances. Catrol GTX 10W 30, Amsoil 10W 30 Turbo Formula, and Mobi 1 SS 5W 30 seem all to have the same consumption rate for me.

From what I gather, I am somewhere in the middle of oil consumption with other S2000 owners, some barely burn while others burn up to 2 Litres per 3750mile change interval.

I currently have 17500kms on the car and expect the oil consumption to gradually decline as it breaks in further.

My Prelude burns about 1-1.5liters/6000Km.That's with M1 5w30.The car has 15000Km.
On the last change I used 10w30.Im 2000Km hasn't burned a drop.
My non VTEC Integra burns 5w30 and 10w30 at about the same rate.I would say that the Prelude did better with the 10w30 because I didn't use VTEC in the winter.I'll watch closely the first couple of Kkm once the hard driving season starts.
BTW,using other than recommended oil weight will void my warranty?

My 94 Prelude H22A1 with 92000km on the clock uses virtually no oil at all.I change it every 6 months and in that time i do around 3500-4000 kms,so not that many ks on the oil but in that time the level will drop 1.5-2mm on the dipstick.I use semi synthetic 10w40.A previous 3rd gen 1990 Prelude i owned with 140000 km used no oil with 10w40 but used oil when i used a full syn 5w40,similar to what a previous poster said about full syns in Hondas.Theres alot of talk about oil consumption when vtec is engaged alot but i can't see why that should make any difference.Can anyone say why it is relevant?
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by absolude:

BTW,using other than recommended oil weight will void my warranty?

Always the unknowable answer.... If your engine has a failure of an oil-lubricated part, and if they claim that your failure to follow their recommendations was the cause of the failure, and if they prove that you didn't follow the recommendations or you can't prove that you did...get out your cheque book.

Ken

"Theres alot of talk about oil consumption when vtec is engaged alot but i can't see why that should make any difference. Can anyone say why it is relevant?"

Okay, Ballbearing, I'll bite: because when vtec is engaged during more aggressive driving (higher RPMs), the engine would tend to suck more oil past the valve seals?

Ballbearing, I am a admin and member of a Toronto Prelude Club with over 200 memebers. Virtually EVERY member with a VTEC engine uses oil, especially if driven hard or for a longer interval. The only people that don't burn oil are the guys that got a new short block from Honda underwarranty because they were using 1L/600km and more.
shocked.gif

How many miles do you drive in the 6 months? How hard do you drive your car?

i use vtec often in b16a civic and it burned about a quart of mobil 1 5w-30 in 2000 miles. right now im over 2000 miles using mobil 1 10w-30 and the oil level is on the higher side between the two dots on the dipstick, so i haven't burned oil with the 10w-30 like i did with the 5w-30.

Ray H Yeah, well i understand how an engine doing high rpms will tend to consume more oil,vtec or not.But some people have suggested that the vtec system itself uses up the oil.Not sure where i saw this,either here or on honda-tech.com.
Quick_lude I drive it 2200-2500 miles in 6 months.If it was an oil burner it presumably would have used a quart or two in that time.May be if i left it in for more miles the consumption would go up as the oil wore out.As far as how hard i drive it,i do the occasional track day and generally drive it as hard as anyone else would with out risking my license too much.
If the guys with new short blocks don't use oil Honda must have fixed the the cause.

[ March 03, 2003, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Ballbearing ]

Your low mileage might be an answer why you don't burn oil. My engine usually doesn't start using oil up until 4K km which is about 2500 miles.. I can go to the track, auto-x, VTEC, it won't use a drop until then. But after that it's a steady 1L/1500km or less..
frown.gif

Here's some interesting information on a forum for the "third generation" Accord. In case you didn't know, the Accord just entered it's seventh generation.

First off, see how many miles these people have on their cars:

How many Miles?

Now see the response to a question about exhaust smoke:

Do you smoke?

My 1999 Si(R) w/ the B16A2 engine had a BAD consumption problem-with Mobil 1 5w-30 OR 10w-30. Although the latter was not as bad as the former but, it still wasnt acceptable. I finally went to 0w-30 and had better results than the other two mentioned, but again, still not as good as I hoped.

I ran my oil to 5K only once and had a total loass of almost 2qt. Of course I topped off but I dded it up. Even at 3K miles though I still had consumption probs of about a litre.

Keep in mind though that this engine revved daily to its 8,000rpm redline and since it used VTEC on both cams, it would drink the oil. Still, a great engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back