Honda HRR216 GCV160 lawn mower issues

Hi folks new member here. I found this informative website when I searched for gcv valve stuck / varnish... Although I don't believe this is the problem I am having I wanted to see if someone can point in the right direction as far as getting my mower up to speed and running good again.

I have a gcv160 Honda mower with auto choke that's been in the shed for a year maybe a little longer but I have owned it for about 3 years (it has had gas a few years old because I only mow twice or three times a year) when I bought it, it was used and obviously it did not have any sort of issues at the time.. I took it out recently wanting to use it and it just wouldn't start, so I drain the old gas out and replaced the spark plug with new gas and it would not start... I can spray a little carb cleaner in the carb to get it to start temporary (like a few secone) when it would started for a few second I noticed gas was spitting out of the carb (air filter side) because gas will be all over the air filter cover and around the top of the body /frame directly under the carb and air filter area. At the time, Im thinking it might have flooded because I pulled the cord like 100 times to try to get it to start.. perhaps I even flooded the spark plug..

After researching online, I thought I Must have a bad carburator and since I want it to run like new again I did not bother to clean out or diagnose with the old carb I ordered a brand new oem Honda carb and installed it today. first pull it fired up right away.. everything seems good for about 5 minute then it does the almost dying but kept trying to keep running sputtering thing it does and finally died again ... Tried to start it and it won't start (pulled the cord about 10 times).. Waited 5 minute, pulled the cord again and it starts again but wasn't running very good. RPM up to almost shutting off throughout the 20 minutes that I used it mow the lawn.. it did shut off a few times because I was cutting grass about 3 ft tall .. when the RPM was low it would stop it altogether because there just isn't enough power to keep it going.. I again noticed gas on the air filter housing because I was running the mower without the air filter for a while .. can anyone tell me what's going on ? Why even with all the parts I replace it still won't run well ?

Ps I noticed if I put the air filter back in with the cover it won't start at all.. only way to get it to run poorly is with air filter and cover off.. I'm just about out of ideas ... Could it be the gasket ? There are 3 total two of which is in good condition .. the one near the back between the carb and choke is worn out pretty badly .. I didn't change the motor oil just yet because it's still quite clear and filled to level but this problem doesn't seem like a oil issue

Additional parts I replaced: thermal wax assembly that has to do with the auto choke function (it's like a little pink screw with a pin in the middle) fuel line.

Someone suggested that my problem is a stuck stem valve, well I opened it up today and found it to be functional.. no stuck valve at all .. I sprayed some lubricant down the stem and valve guide. (See picture attached) when I took out the spark plug which is brand new .. now it looks like it's burned up with black gunk all around it.. (see picture attached) I'm assuming this is because I flooded with gas by pulling so many times?

I am waiting for carb gaskets and will install all new gaskets, if this still doesn't work and fix the issue .. what might be other potential problems that is causing this where fuel is coming out of the carb on the air filter side ? I am assuming this is a gas issue, can gasket alone cause this mower to act this way ?

Thank you all in advance... At this point, I am hopeful but doubtful that I am able to get it running tip top shape, was told this motor is good and lasts a long time so lesson learned about keeping old gas in it for long periods of time however this doesn't seem to be the issue .. could be wrong

Attachments

• 20230516_001144.jpg
    20230516_001144.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20230517_034613_Reddit.jpg
    Screenshot_20230517_034613_Reddit.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 95
I have a similar Honda powered mower. The gas cap won't let the tank breathe, and after a few minutes the engine dies. Took me a while to figure that one out. The parts inside the gas cap must have swollen.

I suggest trying it with the gas cap loose.

I have a similar Honda powered mower. The gas cap won't let the tank breathe, and after a few minutes the engine dies. Took me a while to figure that one out. The parts inside the gas cap must have swollen.

I suggest trying it with the gas cap loose.
I was just about to post this. I've seen it a few times where the gas cap can cause this especially when sitting with old fuel in the tank. Try letting it run in your driveway for a few minutes with the cap off and see what it does.

Ok I will try this and report back in few days.. need to put the valve cover back first ..

While my answer won't help you .....I do find my Honda GCV160 powered Husqvarna mower to be much more finicky fuel wise than the B&S powered ones I've had in the past.
I always run my mower till it dies (out of gas) on the last mow of the season and never had a problem with doing this on a B&S...but it doesn't seem to work well on the Honda unit.
I will say that the Honda is more fuel efficient although less powerful than the B&S (which I think was a 190cc).

When a valve is stuck, the engine will lose compression. This can be checked by pulling the starter rope out slowly and noting that there is not the usual resistance as it comes to the compression stroke.

It's fairly common for a spark plug to crack inside and short out intermittently. It can happen at any time in the plug's life even when brand new. Check this by going back to the original plug. A lot of black stuff means the engine is running rich, check that the choke fully opens when running. Often black smoke will be noticeable from the exhaust port.

While a mower is in storage, mice will often build a nest on top of the cylinder. This blocks the cooling air flow and causes overheating. It is a good idea to take the top cover off and check.

When a valve is stuck, the engine will lose compression. This can be checked by pulling the starter rope out slowly and noting that there is not the usual resistance as it comes to the compression stroke.
Yes, keep in mind that the Honda engine has a compression release. To make them easy to pull over.

My craftsman Honda 160 has been awesome in the 15 years of owning it. Maintain it every year. I do on occasion take the plug out and fill the cylinder with Amsoil power foam. I had to clean fuel bowl once. I don’t have E0 in my area. 93 E10 with stabilizer. Gets used every two to three weeks during the mowing season.

Reactions: FZ1
My craftsman Honda 160 has been awesome in the 15 years of owning it. Maintain it every year. I do on occasion take the plug out and fill the cylinder with Amsoil power foam. I had to clean fuel bowl once. I don’t have E0 in my area. 93 E10 with stabilizer. Gets used every two to three weeks during the mowing season.
Fuel cap is my first guess, then do yourself a favor and remove the fuel line from the tank and there is an insertion style filter. It may need cleaned.
After gaping the valves , I changed all the gasket and I remove the cap and attempted to start .. it won't start.. I pulled the cord about 10 times and removed the air filter .. saw gas dripping out of the carburator on to the air filter housing and gas shooting out of the exhaust with a little bit of white smoke ... This mower is taking me for a ride for sure... Everything has been replaced and valve adjusted .. I'm about to dump it in the trash 😞 there is some serious issues with this auto choke system .. or something else

Clear the flood by holding the choke flap open. Then try again.

It is possible it was overchoked.

The choke flap should be closed and when the governor arms swings back to the 3000 ~3300 position it will crack the choke open enogh to allow it to run at full speed until the thermowax pellet warms up. These work well for the most part.......

Keep at it, you will eventually get it running.

Clear the flood by holding the choke flap open. Then try again.

It is possible it was overchoked.

The choke flap should be closed and when the governor arms swings back to the 3000 ~3300 position it will crack the choke open enogh to allow it to run at full speed until the thermowax pellet warms up. These work well for the most part.......

Keep at it, you will eventually get it running.
i gave up and went to the super market for 2 hours .. when I came back I noticed the entire tank of fresh gas leaked out from the carburator.. can you tell me why that is ? This is a new carburetor from Honda .. I have no clue how all the gas came out without me even operating it .. 🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦i tilt the mower to the side and more fuel came out of the carb and there is absolutely nothing left in the tank
20230519_115816.jpg

Attachments

• 20230519_115702.jpg
    20230519_115702.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 12
The float needle valve is stuck open. The bowl overfills with gas and it runs out the intake, some of it also likely goes into the cylinder. Since this is a gravity flow system, the process continues whether the engine is turning or not until the tank is empty.

Last edited:
i gave up and went to the super market for 2 hours .. when I came back I noticed the entire tank of fresh gas leaked out from the carburator.. can you tell me why that is ? This is a new carburetor from Honda .. I have no clue how all the gas came out without me even operating it .. 🤦🤦🤦🤦🤦i tilt the mower to the side and more fuel came out of the carb and there is absolutely nothing left in the tan
The float needle valve is stuck open. The bowl overfills with gas and it runs out the intake, some of it also likely goes into the cylinder. Since this is a gravity flow system, the process continues whether the engine is turning or not until the tank is empty.
20230519_125336.jpg

The exhaust is full of gas .. everytime I pull more gas spits out and it won't start

Could this be possible that my the brand new carburetor already has issues ? I literally put that in 3 days ago .. what are the chances for it to be stuck ?

I see your point, but it can happen, either due to a bit of residue, or debris in the needle/seat area. The good news is that the float bowl comes off easily. A can of carb clean and some careful cleaning should do the trick.

As mentioned above, the float is clearly stuck open on the new carburetor. It may have been jarred enough during shipping to dislodge or jam the float in the open position. Or the hollow plastic float has a crack/pinhole which is now filled with gas. The only way to be sure is to disassemble the carb for inspection. The seller may not be willing to take it back now that it has been exposed to gasoline. Also, be sure to remove the oil level dipstick and check the oil level in the crankcase. I suspect that the crankcase is now way overfilled with gasoline.

Could this be possible that my the brand new carburetor already has issues ? I literally put that in 3 days ago .. what are the chances for it to be stuck ?
By gods miracle it started when I put the gas shut off valve on closed position .. as soon as it started I opened it and let it run for 5 minutes .. it didn't die although RPM goes up and down and at times it's stable .. I walked around mowing the lawn and I noticed as soon as I move the mower the RPM will sputter .. when I stand still it idles normal..

I stopped the lawn mower after 5 minutes.. tried to start it again and it won't .. not until I put the gas shut off on closed position then it will start and I have to quickly open it again ..

Mystery after mystery ....

This is to be expected you're trying to manually control the flow of gas instead of the needle valve doing it.

If it still overflows while stopped with the shut off valve open, there is a problem inside the carb.

Back