HF Preditor 9500 Inverter Gas Leak

This HF Predator 9500 has about 50 hours on it and runs like a top when it runs. The last time I started it up, it started without issue and after about 20 seconds started bogging, it shut off and gas started leaking from it. The video shows the gas leaking from the carburetor where it meets the block. If I put the gas shutoff in the on or choke position it just streams right out. This is not my area of expertise so any comments or help is appreciated.

Image 4-15-24 at 1.18 PM.jpeg

Image 4-15-24 at 1.18 PM.jpeg

Best to take the carb off inspect the float, needle and seat, and clean it. But tapping on it may help.

I'm guessing, and that's all it is (a guess), that ethanol in the fuel shrunk the needle's viton rubber tip, and it is no longer sealing against the seat, allowing fuel to flow past.

Best to take the carb off inspect the float, needle and seat, and clean it. But tapping on it may help.

I'm guessing, and that's all it is (a guess), that ethanol in the fuel shrunk the needle's viton rubber tip, and it is no longer sealing against the seat, allowing fuel to flow past.
Yeah, tapping did nothing. What is really weird is I start this generator the first weekend of every month and run it for 30 minutes under load. As I said runs like a top. We had the power go out last month, it started right up, it ran for about 20 seconds with a bit of white smoke (I'm guessing rich), started bogging, and shut down with fuel leaking out the bottom. I had just run it for its monthly run 5 days before that with absolutely zero issues. Ok...off the carb comes...

Thanks everyone for your help.

To take the carb bowl off to see the float and needle, take out the two screws holding the solenoid on the bottom (they are likely to be extremely tight) then unscrew the nut and pull the bowl off.

When you hold the carb upside down you should not be able to blow air through the fuel inlet, because the float will drop down (what is normally up) and hold the needle closed. When the carb is rightside up the inlet should flow air.

Back