Has anybody tried bypass filtration with HPL motor oil

as the title says has anybody tried it?
My car for reference is a 1999 camry 5sfe with 125,000 miles I’ve only had it a couple months but I drive 60-70k miles per year mostly highway and I’ve been thinking bypass filtration might be worth it in my situation

I also hav seen they make a 6.5 quart oil pan for the 5sfe. My main goal is to extend oil drain to around the 15k mark been doing it at 5 and that puts me at slightly more than one oil change a month. My plan was to either use a frantz bypass or buy the larger oil pan and increase capacity

Have you done any sampling to see what the oil even looks like at 5k? IMO, if you're driving 5000 miles per month, you're in the easiest of duty cycles, lots of highway driving and full operating temp.

I don't know if this engine is hard on oil.

Does it leak or burn?

if not, then Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage and a Fram Ultra.
No leaks and it burns about 8 ounces in 5k miles I think im going to go with a fram ultra after I use up my wix stash got a case of 12 for 25$ a while back

No leaks and it burns about 8 ounces in 5k miles I think im going to go with a fram ultra after I use up my wix stash got a case of 12 for 25$ a while back
I'd think with the Fram Ultra, a bigger pan and a decent quality synthetic, you'd be able to pull off the 15,000 mile intervals doing mostly highway. Of course you'd want to keep the oil level full at all times, but yeah I'd be curious to see how the oil does with that much driving in an older four cylinder engine.

I'd think with the Fram Ultra, a bigger pan and a decent quality synthetic, you'd be able to pull off the 15,000 mile intervals doing mostly highway. Of course you'd want to keep the oil level full at all times, but yeah I'd be curious to see how the oil does with that much driving in an older four cylinder engine.
My other car a 97 Camry has done almost 300k on providence semi syn 10w30 and protec oil filters. But I would like to take better care of the 1999 its much nicer. Im giving the 97 to my brother and will start driving the 99 full time soon. When I do a UOA I will post it

My other car a 97 Camry has done almost 300k on providence semi syn 10w30 and protec oil filters. But I would like to take better care of the 1999 its much nicer. Im giving the 97 to my brother and will start driving the 99 full time soon. When I do a UOA I will post it
I’m looking forward to see how an older car handles the mileage you plan on putting on it, usually the high mileage people are driving something newer. I’m a fan of high mileage stuff, keep us posted! Good luck.

Im not sure how the OP made out with this, but Ive seen some evidence that bypass filtration does benefit a gas engine.

I ran two back to back UOAs and the second was with the bypass setup and a 7 micron filter.

The second was run 2k miles longer with identical oil and driving habits and showed less wear and similar TBN.

Not conclusive but it was beneficial. Im doing a 3rd next spring.

Im not sure how the OP made out with this, but Ive seen some evidence that bypass filtration does benefit a gas engine.

I ran two back to back UOAs and the second was with the bypass setup and a 7 micron filter.

The second was run 2k miles longer with identical oil and driving habits and showed less wear and similar TBN.

Not conclusive but it was beneficial. Im doing a 3rd next spring.
I would like to know the results. for now I am doing HPL diesel 5w30 with a champ xl filter every 10k

as the title says has anybody tried it?
My car for reference is a 1999 camry 5sfe with 125,000 miles I’ve only had it a couple months but I drive 60-70k miles per year mostly highway and I’ve been thinking bypass filtration might be worth it in my situation
Nope

I would like to know the results. for now I am doing HPL diesel 5w30 with a champ xl filter every 10k
It helps for sure. My iron was very low....but lower with the filter. I think its was 5-6 points lower with an extra 2 months and 2k on the oil.

Not huge numbers.....but still a benefit.

The TBN was very stable with the auxiliary filter so Id think it has beneficial effects on the oil as well.

Back