Hankook Dynapro ATM in snow?

For the first time in a long time, I'm thinking of *not* putting snows onto the vehicles for winter. I'm WFH until spring, and who knows if the kids will be in-school for the duration--and of course, when it snows, they don't go to school. The truck has a set of ATM's, cannot find the date code but I bought in 2017 so they are probably mid 2016 or newer. Versus a set of iPike's with a date code of early 2014. Both sets have about 10/32's of tread, maybe down to 9 on the iPike's. The iPikes were stored outside this year, in a tarp shed, so no light but I'm sure they got plenty warm.

[Before anyone flames me, yes I'd like to buy the latest and greatest snow tires and not kill a busload of nuns while making a grocery run. But I'm going to drive what, 2,000 miles this winter? Does it really make sense? I've done plenty of driving on bald a/s's in winter, having lived in the Northeast all my life. Yes, I could buy and have for next year, but I'm also coming up on the age where I was going to be getting rid of this truck.]

I'm starting to think the ATM's might hold the edge in snow, ice, etc? especially compared to an older set of snows. Or am I deluded on that one?

[Wife's car has a set of half-worn Altimaxes which she doesn't want on (loud), but at the very least it's 30 minutes of garage work for me to swap those on. As opposed to the truck which is an hour or two. I *was* thinking of swapping on the truck snows during this mild Thanksgiving weather, but now I'm thinking, it's not worth the effort.]

I live in central PA and have not put on snows in almost two decades. I run all seasons and with the plowing they do around here, I never have a problem getting around. I am with you. Why waste the money?

Now, if I had to drive over one of the large mountains around here on a daily basis or go 75 miles to work, I would use dedicated snows.

I run the ATM RF10s on my Liberty and they are great in the snow, especially when they were newer. I find myself using 4WD a lot less.

I have the Dynapro AT2 on my truck. They look like the same tire, as the AT2 is supposed to be replacing the ATM. I drove through some snow in Denver this last week and they handled perfectly. We did some sight seeing and parked on the side of a mountain. A lifted pickup with mud tires parked in the same area as us. I didn't think he was going to make it out without my help. Slid all over the place and spun a lot. Meanwhile I drove out like it was nothing. The dynapros really surprised me.

I had Dynapro ATMs on my last plow truck. Current plow truck came with a set of UNiroyals on it which were okay but will be replaced with a set of AT2s before snow

Good to know. I might just run the ATM's for now. If they seem bad then I can swap on the snows and see if it gets better (or not). Again, not planning on driving much, so it seems not worth the effort this year.

I've had ATM's on for the past 2 years and it's done fine in snow here...granted, we get a lot less than many years ago but for occasional snow storms here, they're good.

I know a few people who have run those in the winter with good results. That's why I was so surprised that the iPike RW11s were so terrible on my Subaru.

I ran Hankook ATM’s for a while. They were fine in the Sierra snow. No issues with my Michelin’s either.

In really icy conditions everything sucks except for dedicated snows.

I know a few people who have run those in the winter with good results. That's why I was so surprised that the iPike RW11s were so terrible on my Subaru.
I owned once Hankook snow tires and they were by far the worst snow tire I ever had. It was such horrid experience that I would not touch ever again their snow tires with 10 foot pole.

Not a big hankook fan myself. There's only a few models that are better than mediocre for my application. Well, 1 so far. Though even that isn't perfect.

However, it appears their mild winter tyres (euro style) and the 4 season tyres are getting a lot better it appears.

Not a big hankook fan myself. There's only a few models that are better than mediocre for my application. Well, 1 so far. Though even that isn't perfect.

However, it appears their mild winter tyres (euro style) and the 4 season tyres are getting a lot better it appears.
This was in Europe, before moving here. I am not sure how they progressing now, and would not be surprised if they got better. But, will leave it to other to try.

I owned once Hankook snow tires and they were by far the worst snow tire I ever had. It was such horrid experience that I would not touch ever again their snow tires with 10 foot pole.
Took an OEM set off a 2015 Explorer Sport AWD at 10k … they hydroplaned like they were slick.
So bad that Goodyear Eagle GT’s ran circles around them …

Took an OEM set off a 2015 Explorer Sport AWD at 10k … they hydroplaned like they were slick.
So bad that Goodyear Eagle GT’s ran circles around them …
Ah I remember Eagle GT's. That is bad, really bad.
But, for me nothing comes close to bad tire in wet as Kumho Ecsta LX I got on VW CC. I am not religious person, but braking and handling experience on wet surface made me reconsider some things.

The first winter I had this car I was out accelerated by a NISSAN VERSA on all seasons trying to leave a stoplight in a snow storm, in my Subaru Forester with these god awful snow tires. Absolutely worthless. They just do not work in slush or anything slippery.

However, I have had them on my car on some of our Jeep trails and been pushing snow up to the headlights and they just keep going. I think the compound is just too hard to be a snow tire. The tread and amount of sipes fooled me into thinking they would be awesome.

They're sitting in my garage. I replaced them with Sumitomo Ice Edge. I want to sell them because there is $200 at least sitting there, but I don't want to have someone get hurt with using them. By my records I have about 13000 miles on them and they didn't wear at all.

Ah I remember Eagle GT's. That is bad, really bad.
But, for me nothing comes close to bad tire in wet as Kumho Ecsta LX I got on VW CC. I am not religious person, but braking and handling experience on wet surface made me reconsider some things.
Knew I was not keeping it but a year longer … they were cheap and better than Koo-Koos

I'll give more update after Thursday. They're calling for 3-6"+ snow here in central KS. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I thought the iPikes weren't bad, but I was coming off of LTX MS2's and those just had no biz in snow. Maybe it was coming from underpowered FWD manual transmission car, but on the truck the LTX's were flat out awful. It was simply useless in RWD if there was white on the ground--I had less problems with bald entires on my VW than new LTX's on the truck. Maybe it doesn't take that much to get better than a/s, not sure.

Got to drive with them in snow last weekend. I wasn't very impressed: I think I should have swapped on the iPike's. Just felt squirrely and had to leave it in 4WD, felt easy to get loose and sideways.

Then again, it was wet heavy snow, not fluffy stuff. Maybe my expectations are off, after all it's been a year since I had snow tires on the truck.

Back