Handsfree for an older vehicle. I have tried so many things and I am fed up.

I have this one and play my calls through the radio speakers using Bluetooth. People have said the input speaker is fine. Pretty cheap and worth a try. It’s a Amazon Choice product. Because it has the extended stem, you can actually read the screen when you set it up. I use it in a 2005 Taurus with an FM radio.

735AA0A0-8DB1-4FE8-A311-2C897F833E3C.png

When I need to ensure my call is clear I just use my iPhone‘s wired earbuds. One ear only of course. Most people can’t tell I’m even in a car.

We have had two of these in two separate vehicles and they work extremely well. Mind you I have never used the FM part of it just bluetooth. I notice the price has gone up....I paid $59 several years ago. It does not come with a charger. No problems over the years with either one.

If one crapped out I would immediately pay the hundred bucks for another one.

Reactions: GON
I installed an aftermarket HU in my daughter's Yaris mainly so she can answer calls hands free. It has other benefits for her....but hands free was my goal...along with a backup camera

Excellent sound quality at both ends. Has an external mic mounted on the steering column.

I've never had much luck with the gimmicky Bluetooth products.

20190113_142305.jpg

20190512_103639.jpg

I have tried numerous hands free devices over the past few years that are also FM transmitters. The end result is that the person on the other end either says that the call lacks quality or the volume is too low. Some of these devices have adjustable mic volumes as well. It doesn't matter which phone I have used over the years either.

I have up on trying and just held the phone to my ear while driving. Now it is illegal in my State to do so.

I have had recommendations but they all seem to be expensive and attach to my visor.

Is there any reason why these FM transmitter handsfree combos seem to exhibit the above symptoms? No one else seems to have these issues besides me.

Could the vehicle's accessory port be too low and far away from my mouth?

The expensive solutions would be ok if I didn't have so many cars.

I remember the ear clip things that people were using a few years ago and they were a pain in the neck getting them synced, charged all the time, and on your ear. The ones where people would be talking in the store and you would think they are talking to you lol. I have had ones where the range was so short that it wouldn't always reach the phone from my ear!

Any suggestions on bluetooth handsfree devices that actually work and aren't expensive and require wiring to install? I'd also like a good looking setup. I still like the idea of an FM transmitter handsfree combo some of my vehicle is older and the head unit is nearly impossible to replace. These combo units really help catch up with the technology vacuum and they look pretty.....prettier than a new 500 dollar a month car payment.

Thanks.
Get an aftermarket head unit with Bluetooth connectivity. You can make calls and talk handsfree with it.

Last one I had was a Sony NEX-4200

I have this one and play my calls through the radio speakers using Bluetooth. People have said the input speaker is fine. Pretty cheap and worth a try. It’s a Amazon Choice product. Because it has the extended stem, you can actually read the screen when you set it up. I use it in a 2005 Taurus with an FM radio.

View attachment 38162
Thanks....I have this one too. The same brand. Nothing but complaints. Where is the microphone in relation to your mouth?

Thanks for this.
We have had two of these in two separate vehicles and they work extremely well. Mind you I have never used the FM part of it just bluetooth. I notice the price has gone up....I paid $59 several years ago. It does not come with a charger. No problems over the years with either one.

If one crapped out I would immediately pay the hundred bucks for another one.

Thanks everyone. Again, the head unit ideas are a no go due to being nearly impossible to install in the Tribeca unfortunately.

Some of you are having good luck with these FM transmitters. I am thinking of installing a new 12 VDC port up higher in the dash. At best, some people can hear me in my Jetta TDI with a 5 year old chinesium double DIN head unit if I talk really loud but that is exhausting on a long trip. I also have a Garmin GPS with BT/handsfree where I had forgotten about that functionality. I will try that to see how that goes.

Thanks everyone. Again, the head unit ideas are a no go due to being nearly impossible to install in the Tribeca unfortunately.

Some of you are having good luck with these FM transmitters. I am thinking of installing a new 12 VDC port up higher in the dash. At best, some people can hear me in my Jetta TDI with a 5 year old chinesium double DIN head unit if I talk really loud but that is exhausting on a long trip. I also have a Garmin GPS with BT/handsfree where I had forgotten about that functionality. I will try that to see how that goes.

Ive tried two gamins and the audio was garbage on both of them...

Other than a head unit (usually Alpine) tho only one i ever had that was worth a flip was:

I ended up giving it to someone here when i no longer needed it...

Ive tried two gamins and the audio was garbage on both of them...

Other than a head unit (usually Alpine) tho only one i ever had that was worth a flip was:

I ended up giving it to someone here when i no longer needed it...
Lol, seems like I need to get a fleet of Prius, lol.

Reactions: GON
Back