Why are cables not included? Is this a new thing?

The manufacturers have been doing this for a while now. It should be stated in the “What’s In The Box” description.

A lot of people already have chargers and cables. They really don’t need another one.

On the HDMI cables I ran into an issue some years back. The cable they supplied wouldn’t reach due to my setup so I had to go and buy a longer one. The short one sat and collected dust somewhere.

I rather like having a variety of different sizes, specs (current rating, USB-C end vs USB-A end), colors, etc. Shorties can be useful for certain things. I've got various cables that are 4 inches, 6 inches, 1 ft, 3 ft/1m, 6 ft, 10 ft, etc. Sometimes it was a multi-pack where I was kind of stuck with what I got. The 10 ft ones can be really hard to use because they're everywhere and coiling them might not be that practical.

The other thing I noticed was that extension cables often don't work with shorter cables. Shorter ones are often spec'ed exactly for a shorter length. A longer length will have a higher electrical resistance for the same wire thickness, so they often have thicker wires. I got really good deals on some 4 inch cables where I was thinking maybe I could use a generic USB extension, but they either didn't work or the device wouldn't charge even though they would still pass data.

My only issue is that some of the ones I got didn't work well or for long. But when they're cheap I don't really care.

Friend of mine installed a 6-camera Lorex DVR system....it came with a 2 foot network cable.

Well, at least they included one..
Thank you for reminding me of that 🤣 but the camera cables are this ungodly spaghetti monster mess if you unravel it wrong, IIRC 100ft?

But yes…. It is mostly a cost cutting measure that’s been greenwashed into “we’re cutting down e-waste!” The far smaller part is some people still think “more expensive cable equal better sound/picture” despite it being a digital signal or they simply need a longer cable because the included one won’t reach to where they need it.

Apple has never done that with iPhones. The only power adapter they ever included in the box with iPhones was the 5W version - called the "cube" for the US version. Even for the newest versions that could charge at far higher current than 1A. It sounds like their transition to no power adapter in the iPhone box coincided with their inclusion of USB-C to Lighting cables. The cube was actually pretty compact, but for others around the world, fitting that plug in could make it really big. This is the 5W version solid in Hong Kong:

I've gotten a couple of iPads within the last year and they still have a 20W Apple USB-C power adapter in the box.

The iPhone 11 Pro included the 18W Type-C adapter in the box. The 11 remained with the venerable 5W Type-A sugar cube.

All 12s got nadda.

Samsung's marketing department mocked that change, until their product managers decided to do the same…one of multiple incidents where they were caught being hypocrites, or with their pants down (cough…benchmark rigging…more than oncecough…tweeing from iPhones…cough).

Certain countries have regulations covering accessories, so there can be exceptions.

Yes, the more they cost, the less you get. You can pay over $100k for a car that still doesn't include a spare wheel.

Last couple of iPhone purchased required the additional purchase of a charger and cable. And if you want to use a headphone with a standard 3.5mm jack (not Bluetooth) you need to buy an Apple iPhone adapter.

Reason enough for me to stay with Android phones. Been consistently pleased with Motorola. Rant over!

The iPhone 11 Pro included the 18W Type-C adapter in the box. The 11 remained with the venerable 5W Type-A sugar cube.

All 12s got nadda.

Samsung's marketing department mocked that change, until their product managers decided to do the same…one of multiple incidents where they were caught being hypocrites, or with their pants down (cough…benchmark rigging…more than oncecough…tweeing from iPhones…cough).

Certain countries have regulations covering accessories, so there can be exceptions.
You are correct, Apple always included everything needed until the year of the iPhone 12
Correct again, I forgot what South American country just ruled against Apple on this but the judge called this clearly a profit motive issue in disguise as being "green" and ordered that they be included. Not sure out come meaning if its been appealed ect.

Either way it's downright cheap. Amazing how companies can make money and force an agenda. But the snowflakes will over time get used to it and accept it more and more.

You can pay over $100k for a car that still doesn't include a spare wheel.
Someone with $100k for a car is unlikely to consider getting out to change a flat tire on the roadside. Flats are unlikely these days and if one does happen they'd call a tow truck like any other breakdown. Industry studies showed that 80% of cars never have the spare tire used.

Yes, the more they cost, the less you get. You can pay over $100k for a car that still doesn't include a spare wheel.

Last couple of iPhone purchased required the additional purchase of a charger and cable. And if you want to use a headphone with a standard 3.5mm jack (not Bluetooth) you need to buy an Apple iPhone adapter.

Reason enough for me to stay with Android phones. Been consistently pleased with Motorola. Rant over!

Motorola makes a great phone and is by far the best value out there.

Iphone comes with the cable but no charging brick, same as Samsungs high end phones.
I didn't know any high end phone had a 3.5 mm jack on them, still?

Motorola is a Chinese owned company, so yeah, costs and value are there, defiantly not up to iPhone standards but a good value for those who dont want to spend the money and are ok with Android world. 🙃

As long as it's not factored into the price of the phone I dont have a problem with it . I wish when you ordered take out food they would ask if you want fork/spoon and charge you for it rather than automatically giving it to you and throwing it out . I prefer to use regular silverware when I'm home .

Iphone comes with the cable but no charging brick, same as Samsungs high end phones.
I didn't know any high end phone had a 3.5 mm jack on them, still?

Motorola is a Chinese owned company, so yeah, costs and value are there, defiantly not up to iPhone standards but a good value for those who dont want to spend the money and are ok with Android world. 🙃

The Motorola is probably made in the same Chinese factory as the iPhone. Lenovo owns Motorola.

The Motorola is probably made in the same Chinese factory as the iPhone. Lenovo owns Motorola.

Not necessarily. Lenovo as a Chinese company owns its own factories. Apple uses mostly Taiwan based contract manufacturers like Foxconn, Pegatron, and Quanta.

I remember getting into an argument by a Best Buy employee who claimed that IBM still designed and owned the ThinkPad line but were just designing it under the Lenovo name. Which would have been news to my coworker who was going to the Lenovo office in North Carolina.

Not necessarily. Lenovo as a Chinese company owns its own factories. Apple uses mostly Taiwan based contract manufacturers like Foxconn, Pegatron, and Quanta.

I remember getting into an argument by a Best Buy employee who claimed that IBM still designed and owned the ThinkPad line but were just designing it under the Lenovo name. Which would have been news to my coworker who was going to the Lenovo office in North Carolina.
Yea ..... some brands like LG are made in many different country's all over the world . LG for example ... is a Korean company ...... it is also made in China , Taiwan , Mexico and India .

I forget who started it, but I think it was Apple. Their explanation was about saving the planet, and that everybody already had a charger. Personally, I think it was just Tim Cook being Tim Cook. He used to be the CFO of the company and he’s tighter than a cat’s meow. 💵

You are correct, Apple always included everything needed until the year of the iPhone 12
Correct again, I forgot what South American country just ruled against Apple on this but the judge called this clearly a profit motive issue in disguise as being "green" and ordered that they be included. Not sure out come meaning if its been appealed ect.

Either way it's downright cheap. Amazing how companies can make money and force an agenda. But the snowflakes will over time get used to it and accept it more and more.

No one forces anyone to buy the phone, but you want to force them to offer it a specific way?

Who is forcing who?

As long as it's not factored into the price of the phone I dont have a problem with it . I wish when you ordered take out food they would ask if you want fork/spoon and charge you for it rather than automatically giving it to you and throwing it out . I prefer to use regular silverware when I'm home .

Even if it is factored in - you have ultimate authority in the purchase.

I forget who started it, but I think it was Apple. Their explanation was about saving the planet, and that everybody already had a charger. Personally, I think it was just Tim Cook being Tim Cook. He used to be the CFO of the company and he’s tighter than a cat’s meow. 💵

They used to all be proprietary to some degree. I know some used generic coax (barrel) connectors, but those certainly can't transmit data. But at one point it was mostly power only. I did have an original Motorola RAZR, but I think it only used mini-USB to transmit power. I tried a regular mini-USB cable before and it didn't charge.

But now I'm looking at my house and thinking do I really need another one? Or if I need one I might just want a cheap USB-A power adapter to use with the cheap MFi USB-A to Lightning cables that I've bought and that my entire family uses here there and everywhere. And if I really need them I've got so many OEM and third-party power adapters already. At this point it's "who cares" since I'm already set up. Even my parents didn't freak out, although I had to tell them that the sales guy was wrong - telling them that using a USB-A power adapter would damage their devices.

California supposedly requires that disposable utensils and straws can only be provided on demand or with self service. I haven't experienced any place that charged for them, but I have ordered takeout online where there was a check box asking if I needed utensils. If I was taking

But still - I don't necessarily ask for it but I've seen a straw in the bag. I've actually asked for a straw thinking it wasn't automatic and was told it was already in there.

The one thing I hate is cities where plastic straws aren't allowed for restaurants. Paper straws are horrible. My local Costco has gone instead to lids that allow sipping.

Back