Handsfree for an older vehicle. I have tried so many things and I am fed up.

I have tried numerous hands free devices over the past few years that are also FM transmitters. The end result is that the person on the other end either says that the call lacks quality or the volume is too low. Some of these devices have adjustable mic volumes as well. It doesn't matter which phone I have used over the years either.

I have up on trying and just held the phone to my ear while driving. Now it is illegal in my State to do so.

I have had recommendations but they all seem to be expensive and attach to my visor.

Is there any reason why these FM transmitter handsfree combos seem to exhibit the above symptoms? No one else seems to have these issues besides me.

Could the vehicle's accessory port be too low and far away from my mouth?

The expensive solutions would be ok if I didn't have so many cars.

I remember the ear clip things that people were using a few years ago and they were a pain in the neck getting them synced, charged all the time, and on your ear. The ones where people would be talking in the store and you would think they are talking to you lol. I have had ones where the range was so short that it wouldn't always reach the phone from my ear!

Any suggestions on bluetooth handsfree devices that actually work and aren't expensive and require wiring to install? I'd also like a good looking setup. I still like the idea of an FM transmitter handsfree combo some of my vehicle is older and the head unit is nearly impossible to replace. These combo units really help catch up with the technology vacuum and they look pretty.....prettier than a new 500 dollar a month car payment.

Thanks.

Last edited:
What kind of phone do you have? What vehicle? Does it have bluetooth?
You generally want the mic nearer to your mouth. There are sun visor mounted devices that can pick up your voice very well.

The vehicles are the ones in my sig. We can skip the Galant VR4 and likely the Prius.

Is there a reason why the sun visor mounted devices do a better job? What is wrong with the FM transmitter combos and why is it only me who has an issue?

I have tried about every LG Stylo that I have owned....now a Stylo 6. Sure a budget phone but I doubt that every phone along the way could have been at fault. Recently tried a newer Galaxy (not really a fan) provided by my job and it was no better in this scenario.

Wife's SCION does not have bluetooth, and it has an aux input in the center console.

Bought a bluetooth "disc" type device that sticks on the dashboard with one button on it. That plugs into the AUX port in the console, and works perfect for audio streaming or phone calls.

Plays the phone calls through the factory radio and works much better than I thought it would.

I actually took the dash trim off and ran the wires under it, almost totally hidden.

I think this was a 15 dollar device from amazon, been using for 2 years no issues. When the phone rings the wife just pushes the disc button on the dash to answer the call or two presses to ignore.

The vehicles are the ones in my sig. We can skip the Galant VR4 and likely the Prius.

Is there a reason why the sun visor mounted devices do a better job? What is wrong with the FM transmitter combos and why is it only me who has an issue?

I have tried about every LG Stylo that I have owned....now a Stylo 6. Sure a budget phone but I doubt that every phone along the way could have been at fault. Recently tried a newer Galaxy (not really a fan) provided by my job and it was no better in this scenario.
For the price of a replacement stereo and ease of replacing them, I would wonder why this hasn't been done. This should lead to probably the best call quality your going to get, especially if you find one with a good external mic.

I added an Aux in to my early Durango, not too difficult.
Cut 'line in' in route to internal amp, inserted 1/8 NC stereo jack, mounted in cassette door (glued shut).
When 1/8 aux cable inserted, opens line and insert new source.
(This was after unsatisfactorily trying other schemes for years.)

Any popular family of OE radios will probably have schematic and photos available.

FM transmitter has always been bad. I would try a bluetooth setup. Garmin used to have bluetooth on their GPS devices. Not sure how well that worked though. Both of my car have bluetooth so not really an issue for me. Tricky to retrofit on older cars but there's lots of Android stereos out there now that include bluetooth, the more expensive ones will have navigation/Apple Carplay/Android Auto. Not that cheap to install though.

Screw it all and just get a Plantronics Voyager Legend earpiece and you’ll be able to take calls while driving with great audio quality on both ends. It has good ambient filtering so that your call recipient only hears your voice and no road noise.
All the visor mounted and hard wire units will require optimal mic placement and may not filter road noise well enough.

Reactions: GON
For the price of a replacement stereo and ease of replacing them, I would wonder why this hasn't been done. This should lead to probably the best call quality your going to get, especially if you find one with a good external m

For the price of a replacement stereo and ease of replacing them, I would wonder why this hasn't been done. This should lead to probably the best call quality your going to get, especially if you find one with a good external mic.

Ever try to install an aftermarket stereo on a Subaru Tribeca? Lol. I have an aftermarket stereo on my VW TDI. It is Chinesium yes but callers still complain about low volume.

FM transmitter has always been bad. I would try a bluetooth setup. Garmin used to have bluetooth on their GPS devices. Not sure how well that worked though. Both of my car have bluetooth so not really an issue for me. Tricky to retrofit on older cars but there's lots of Android stereos out there now that include bluetooth, the more expensive ones will have navigation/Apple Carplay/Android Auto. Not that cheap to install though.
Tribeca is a bear to do. Is it a fact that FM transmitters have always sucked? I never see people complaining about call issues during reviews. This is what I find puzzling.

Reactions: GON
I added an Aux in to my early Durango, not too difficult.
Cut 'line in' in route to internal amp, inserted 1/8 NC stereo jack, mounted in cassette door (glued shut).
When 1/8 aux cable inserted, opens line and insert new source.
(This was after unsatisfactorily trying other schemes for years.)

Any popular family of OE radios will probably have schematic and photos available.
There is actually a how to on the Tribeca forums. I guess that could work. I have just been working on stereo systems for so long that I hate it. Looking for the least invasive way.

Screw it all and just get a Plantronics Voyager Legend earpiece and you’ll be able to take calls while driving with great audio quality on both ends. It has good ambient filtering so that your call recipient only hears your voice and no road noise.
All the visor mounted and hard wire units will require optimal mic placement and may not filter road noise well enough.
I think I will look into this.

I dont think that there is a decent hands free option. Some work well in luxury vehicles that have lots of sound insulation as long as they are not on a bad road or dont have noisy tires. I have tried many options and either the caller cant hear me or I cant hear them. The Bluetooth ear piece was the closest I got but if it was not synced and in my ear before I got in the car it was worthless, The handsfree connection through my Garmin GPS worked ok in small cars but not my truck. In the end I got a wired earpiece I plug into the phone when I get in but dont put it in my ear until the phone rings. It is still the clearest sound and easiest to use, I dont have to worry about turning my head while talking or turning off the vent fan or other people in the car. Sometimes Old School is the simplest.

I couldn't find a decent hands free system for my wife's 09 CRV, but thankfully it wasn't to bad to put an aftermarket stereo in. I've got a pioneer double din thing with apple carplay and it works great with her phone. Call quality and interface is excellent.

I dont think that there is a decent hands free option. Some work well in luxury vehicles that have lots of sound insulation as long as they are not on a bad road or dont have noisy tires. I have tried many options and either the caller cant hear me or I cant hear them. The Bluetooth ear piece was the closest I got but if it was not synced and in my ear before I got in the car it was worthless, The handsfree connection through my Garmin GPS worked ok in small cars but not my truck. In the end I got a wired earpiece I plug into the phone when I get in but dont put it in my ear until the phone rings. It is still the clearest sound and easiest to use, I dont have to worry about turning my head while talking or turning off the vent fan or other people in the car. Sometimes Old School is the simplest.
Certainly seems like it. I just jumped into my new to me 05 Prius expecting my callers to tell me the call quality was worthless. The person that I called could not believe that the call was on the OEM Bluetooth. Interesting.

I couldn't find a decent hands free system for my wife's 09 CRV, but thankfully it wasn't to bad to put an aftermarket stereo in. I've got a pioneer double din thing with apple carplay and it works great with her phone. Call quality and interface is excellent.

Maybe the head units that I am using are too old and chinesium. There was probably a period of time where head unit BT technology sucked but it of course went unannounced.

Could be the lower noise in the cab because of the aerodynamic shape lowering wind noise and if it was on electric of course lower engine noise. I just found that handsfree stuff that works in my kitchen does not always translate to my cars. Although it could just be as I get older my sensitivity to bass sounds has gone up while my desire uh sensitivity to hear voices has gone down, so one drowns out the other.

I have tried numerous hands free devices over the past few years that are also FM transmitters. The end result is that the person on the other end either says that the call lacks quality or the volume is too low. Some of these devices have adjustable mic volumes as well. It doesn't matter which phone I have used over the years either.

I have up on trying and just held the phone to my ear while driving. Now it is illegal in my State to do so.

I have had recommendations but they all seem to be expensive and attach to my visor.

Is there any reason why these FM transmitter handsfree combos seem to exhibit the above symptoms? No one else seems to have these issues besides me.

Could the vehicle's accessory port be too low and far away from my mouth?

The expensive solutions would be ok if I didn't have so many cars.

I remember the ear clip things that people were using a few years ago and they were a pain in the neck getting them synced, charged all the time, and on your ear. The ones where people would be talking in the store and you would think they are talking to you lol. I have had ones where the range was so short that it wouldn't always reach the phone from my ear!

Any suggestions on bluetooth handsfree devices that actually work and aren't expensive and require wiring to install? I'd also like a good looking setup. I still like the idea of an FM transmitter handsfree combo some of my vehicle is older and the head unit is nearly impossible to replace. These combo units really help catch up with the technology vacuum and they look pretty.....prettier than a new 500 dollar a month car payment.

Thanks.
Co-worker of mine uses a transmitter like this. Works well and has pretty good sound quality.

Co-worker of mine uses a transmitter like this. Works well and has pretty good sound quality.
Is this the exact one? I have some that look similar. I think part of the issue is that there a bazillion choices.

Thanks.

Back