Handsfree for an older vehicle. I have tried so many things and I am fed up.

For the price of a replacement stereo and ease of replacing them, I would wonder why this hasn't been done. This should lead to probably the best call quality your going to get, especially if you find one with a good external mic.
This is also an opportunity to add a backup camera and navigation … I did both on a 2010 GMC and the stereo sound improvement was amazing too …

a new head unit or find aux port on the old unit, on its back possibly that would do the trick

for all those FM transmitters suggested, meh

on my old 08Mazda6i I bought extension port cable, 3' long that was installed on the unit in the back and I move it under the central console to the front so that I could attach my iPhone to it and I put it on one of the front air vents; it worked seamlessly for me

I did use an I simple kit that worked pretty well but used it for music not hands free. They make Bluetooth too though.

not sure if your radio has any sort of changer impulse or anything that can be accessed without complete removal of the head unit.

For FM transmitter one that interrupts the antenna may improve it to bearable...

There is actually a how to on the Tribeca forums. I guess that could work. I have just been working on stereo systems for so long that I hate it. Looking for the least invasive way.
There’s thankfully some options for the wiring - pre-2014 Subarus use the same wiring plug as a Nissan but two vendors(one on Amazon, the other does their own thing) have a harness that includes the steering wheel control signals and the VSS wire that works on both Nissan/Subaru.

a new DDIN should mount without drama on a majority of Japanese cars as they have the oversized opening already. You will need a steering wheel control interface and in some cases a amp interface if you have a “branded” premium sound system with a factory amp.

Certainly seems like it. I just jumped into my new to me 05 Prius expecting my callers to tell me the call quality was worthless. The person that I called could not believe that the call was on the OEM Bluetooth. Interesting.
The OEM systems use an amplified and balanced microphone in the headliner. An aftermarket deck will not be able to use the OEM mic. Someone on NASIOC tried to adapt the OEM mic without luck.

My wife had a Jabra or something like that for a while.

I use headphones in my cars without Bluetooth. I only need one.

Reactions: GON
I changed the stereo in my Camry so as to add handsfree phone. Did some reading and decided that it was worth the extra bucks to go Panasonic as opposed to something cheaper (bought from wallyworld all the same). Works well enough, bit ugly what with the mic wiring--I did tuck the wiring under the headliner best I could and shoved the mic into some plastic bit near the rearview mirror, so it does not move with the visor. Took a while to get used to the look of the radio, not crazy about how it doesn't look OEM but it's a beater.

I think my wife just puts up with one of those earpieces. I looked at replacing her stereo and decided against it.

Thanks. Since replacing the Stereo is such a pain in the behind, I have decided to at least start up with an Aux jack because there is already a write up on it. A PAIN in the behind writeup that is. There is already an OEM slot for it in the center console but it was not put in place until 07.

Back