Hacking cars and digital license plates

I think the price to license and register a vehicle, of any type, is outrageously expensive in California. It's just laughable compared to what most other states charge...but that's California.

It just boggles my mind that anyone would want to pay MORE than they already do for a digital license. - https://bloom.bg/3GF2fmJ

Pass. Just give me the bargain basic sheet metal version.

Ed

I think the price to license and register a vehicle, of any type, is outrageously expensive in California. It's just laughable compared to what most other states charge...but that's California.

It just boggles my mind that anyone would want to pay MORE than they already do for a digital license. - https://bloom.bg/3GF2fmJ

Pass. Just give me the bargain basic sheet metal version.

Ed
Yep, it's going to cost me $167 this year to re-register my 20 year old BMW 330Ci. And it needs emissions testing before the registration can be renewed (every two years).

But back to my original post, why would anyone want a digital license plate?

Scott

Yep, it's going to cost me $167 this year to re-register my 20 year old BMW 330Ci. And it needs emissions testing before the registration can be renewed (every two years).

Scott
Vanity? To be the cool guy at the cars and coffee gathering?

It makes no sense to me. Digital license plates seem like a solution where there is no problem.

Scott
It would save some people the headache of having their stolen plate used in the commission of crimes. Sometimes these plate swaps without consent go unnoticed by the victim.

Of course opening the door to this system creates a whole new set of issues around plate forgery, but if digital plates exist, I may as well get the upside as a user.

Scott

If the plate size can be reduced that would save costs. In some ways the idea of a digital plate make sense. Law enforcement could scan the plate and get instant information. Registration tabs could be done away with.

The system has to be secure though. That’s the hitch.

If the plate size can be reduced that would save costs. In some ways the idea of a digital plate make sense. Law enforcement could scan the plate and get instant information. Registration tabs could be done away with.

The system has to be secure though. That’s the hitch.
with the advent of a road use tax to replace gas tax, all cars need some kind of transponder. And those are a bit harder to clone vs. registration tags.

No ''bitcoin'' license plates for me.
LEO's can quickly check plates anyway, that's one of the purposes of that onboard data linked laptop in the cradle. I've been pulled over and ''released'' without a document check due to a typo on the LEO's part.

Back