Grocery price shopping?

I do Shaws (Albertson's) for the loss leaders, typically meat. Market Basket for general shopping, especially bread. Walmart for trail mix, TP, bacon. Hannafords for yogurt, other dairy. Cross the border into NH for non-price protected milk. The "app" is all in my head. Some people will see something and thing, gosh, that's expensive, must be inflation. Nah, it's the store messing with your head, listen to your cheap lizard brain and shop around.

No store will have a sale on spaghetti and sauce over the same week. Nor hamburger and buns. One needs a deep freeze and pantry space to really game the system.

Thanksgiving is when loss leaders typically go nuts, but this year may be weird. My $.69/lb turkey was $.79/lb!
Very true. I was at Albertsons and though Wow! $9 for a frozen Marie Callender’s pie!? Is this the new normal? Nope, $4 at Walmart

It's tough in today's climate. Taking the time for watching adds, managing coupons and knowing when/where to go will save you some money, but not too many people can do that. With our family of 6, food, toiletries, etc are easily $400/week.

We too have some nice grocery stores nearby. Wegmans, Trader Joe's, etc.. They can be pricey, but if you're particular with what you put in your cart, try to stick with house brands, etc, you can do well.

My go-to's if I do the grocery shopping is Walmart or Aldis. Wife likes Wegmans.

Oven roaster chicken? That's one of our family favs. I'm doing one tonight in fact. Mashed potatoes, steamed veggies, etc and I'll make some gravy with the drippings. Feeds our family of 6 and then some.

Reactions: GON
Like anything in life, knowing a lot about prices helps you recognize a deal quickly and easily. This skill is going to be more important every day as prices are shooting up.

We go to a local Town and Country market that has been a staple in this town for the last 65 years, run by a local Japanese family, they beat all the other big chain markets for lowest prices.
I like supporting local, family owned stores and businesses. Many of them are cheaper than chains.

I like supporting local, family owned stores and businesses. Many of them are cheaper than chains.
That depends. We have many Chinese-owned low-cost neighborhood grocery stores and we have rather expensive family-owned neighborhood grocery stores. Most of them are actually chains, or they have at least several locations. They may go by different names. Noriega Produce, Haight Street Market, and Gus's Market are all owned and operated by the same family. I havent met the Don yet. Gus's has nice and fairly priced produce but their meat and cheese prices are out of control. I may as well go to Cal-Mart.

In case anyone here likes chia, I just bought several pounds of Chilean non-GMO chia flour for only $1.99 at Grocery Outlet. The same bag goes for $9.00 on amazon.com. Grab a bag before I buy them all. 😁

That depends. We have many Chinese-owned low-cost neighborhood grocery stores and we have rather expensive family-owned neighborhood grocery stores. Most of them are actually chains, or they have at least several locations. They may go by different names. Noriega Produce, Haight Street Market, and Gus's Market are all owned and operated by the same family. I havent met the Don yet. Gus's has nice and fairly priced produce but their meat and cheese prices are out of control. I may as well go to Cal-Mart.

In case anyone here likes chia, I just bought several pounds of Chilean non-GMO chia flour for only $1.99 at Grocery Outlet. The same bag goes for $9.00 on amazon.com. Grab a bag before I buy them all. 😁
Lol. But is the toilet paper cheap? 😂

Hate to say it ...but right now I support whoever has the lowest price on what I am shopping for....

Got proper smoke house ham and some turkey breasts for T-day … tired of bone bird.
But also hit the stores at opening time for some nice yellow tag steaks and burgers …
Grilled 8 burgers last night - $12 all in …

You are in NJ. Have you tracked ShpRite prices? Their Bowl & Basket brand is good quality and relatively cheaper.

I find even Walmart prices higher compared to ShopRite (for the quality of produce you get). If you can't go in person, some of the stores have online shopping option, you just go and pick up.

Next is Trader Joes, but I don't go there for price.
ShopRite free turkey ,ham or other entree's if you spend $400 in a month time. Use there app for digital coupons. I think there prices are great using the digital coupons and check the circular

Have been doing that since I was in college. I am old school and I look up their weekly ads online, come up with a shopping list for each, and stock up when they are on sale. I found that usually pasta and sauce are never on sale together, so you sort of have to stock up to get the best deals.

Some items I would shop on quality instead of the sale price, and if they are perishable I would not stock up.

Have been doing that since I was in college. I am old school and I look up their weekly ads online, come up with a shopping list for each, and stock up when they are on sale. I found that usually pasta and sauce are never on sale together, so you sort of have to stock up to get the best deals.

Some items I would shop on quality instead of the sale price, and if they are perishable I would not stock up.
One of my best engineers recalls being mocked by a food stamper who compared things in her basket to his in his senior year (his mostly noodles) … Hope that slug is not living the life he is now …

Last edited:
Lol. But is the toilet paper cheap? 😂
Usually order online from Walmart over $35 to get free delivery is the cheapest for me. Charmin only (this is an executive order). I usually don't go to Walmart for grocery because they don't run the loss leader sales once in a while like Safeway does, and their produce quality is not as good as Safeway (i.e. orange size is smaller, Chilean instead of USA orange). Usually I go to Trader Joe's for milk and produce (cheaper than Safeway), Safeway for mass produced packaged stuff like cereal and waffles when on sale, Costco only for quality critical stuff at all cost (frozen organic broccoli, wild caught frozen sockeyes) with gift card recharged by friends. I don't shop at Costco or Walmart much because the line is long, the parking is always full, and they are far away. We have a Safeway every 5 mins from each other and Trader Joe is also 5 mins from my house. Walmart is about 30 mins away and Costco is about 15 mins, but they both take about 1 hr per trip instead of 20 mins.

Last edited:
Usually order online from Walmart over $35 to get free delivery is the cheapest for me. Charmin only (this is an executive order).
I thought I was the only one who did this. Find some knicknack on walmart.com but need to pad the order up to $35 for free shipping.

So buy something like TP that some Walmartian delivers from the store. Our family is a Scotts 1000 family BTW.

I thought I was the only one who did this. Find some knicknack on walmart.com but need to pad the order up to $35 for free shipping.

So buy something like TP that some Walmartian delivers from the store. Our family is a Scotts 1000 family BTW.
TP and paper towels are the ultimate order stuffer / padding for an incomplete order.

Honestly, from an efficiency standpoint, Costco is tough to beat for an (almost) one-stop shop. Sure, you may find better prices if you shop hard, but there is some value in time....especially when you have a family of 5. Plus the cost of fuel must be considered.

Back