Grilling Outside, What's Your Preferred Type of Grill ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was leaning towards another gas grill but my wife wanted to go with a Big Green Egg; we've had it for four years and we could not be happier with it.

Sportsman's Grill

lodge_sportsman_grill-589ddbcb5f9b58819c873f00.jpg

I enjoy my kamado. It's an Akorn I picked up from Sam's Club for $250. There is a learning curve for them so be patient. I've had great luck with Cowboy lump charcoal. Tried another brand and it was not good.

After I retired, I treated myself to a large Weber Genesis propane grill (four-burner). It's very nice, especially when I'm cooking pork steaks for six adults and three grandkids. I've also been BBQ-ing (mostly chicken) on a round Weber charcoal grill since the early '70s. I agree with those who say that a 22-inch $100 Weber charcoal grill is all you need to produce excellent barbecue.

The trick is achieving expertise with the equipment you have -- not the equipment itself.

Enjoy the conversation, after many grills I bought a Nexgrill from HD. Well named, it has held up well, but MY NEXGRILL will be a WEBER best for the money.

Originally Posted by Starman2112
Good ole Weber kettle grill for me.

+1

Love mine! Best flavor. Charcoal and wood chips or chunks is hard to beat.
Pellet is easy in terms of set temp and do what you need til its ready but not as much flavor
Propane is easy but gives no flavor

Want ability to cook up a few burgers or chicken for two easily or do a full-on spread to feed gathering of like 10 people, as well as slow cook the perfect smoky Prime Rib with nice bark on the exterior. Realize the Kamodo's, Green Egg's, and Green Mtn Grill's excel at the big meals and things like Prime Rib but what about when just the two of you want to grill up something quick and easy?

So far I'm liking the Pellet Grill concept like Green Mountain Grill has but I have a question: Why are they dependent upon being plugged-in to household electricity ? Do they have electric assist burners ?

A "PATIO CADDY": Weber round style with electric coil and lava rocks. I use hard wood chip for smell and flavor. No more messing with charcoal or running for tanks of propane. Ed

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Want ability to cook up a few burgers or chicken for two easily or do a full-on spread to feed gathering of like 10 people, as well as slow cook the perfect smoky Prime Rib with nice bark on the exterior. Realize the Kamodo's, Green Egg's, and Green Mtn Grill's excel at the big meals and things like Prime Rib but what about when just the two of you want to grill up something quick and easy?

So far I'm liking the Pellet Grill concept like Green Mountain Grill has but I have a question: Why are they dependent upon being plugged-in to household electricity ? Do they have electric assist burners ?

The ignition is electric but it needs constant power because of the fan and auger for the burn pot. The motor turns intermittently based on the controller to maintain your temperature. More pellets, more heat. Fewer pellets, more smoke. The fan is always running. They do make noise so keep that in mind.

There are auger jamming issues if your pellets get even a tad moist. Some have reported hopper fires because the pellets in the auger could catch fire and feed back to the 10+ pounds of fuel.

The issue with mine was the controller. I set a low temp but the thing would just keep turning the auger.

Stainless gas grill, electric smoker, and Orion all given away … and getting used …

Wood pit has cast iron ends and coated grills … Stainless top.
In the space saved in my "cook shed" I put a 5 burner gas range with an oven/broiler …

Originally Posted by 97f150
Another vote for the Weber Kettle. I have 2- 22" and a Smokey Joe

Yes! have 2 -22" kettles and 1 - 26", the 26" kettle gets the most workout, also have a 55 gal smoker
cheers3.gif

I use both, depending on what I do or feel like. The gas is quick and convenient, but the charcoal provides better cooking (less flare ups, better flavor, etc....). I have a Char-Griller that has gas on one side and charcoal on the other. Not the most expensive thing out there, but I've been very satisfied with it. Best of both worlds.

Good ole Weber kettle here. Dad always used charcoal and so do I. Can't beat the flavor and it's easy to get a great sear on a steak.

I cook pretty much everything but pork shoulder or ribs. That takes skill and needs to be done slowly, and I haven't attempted it yet. But I'm pretty good at marinating and cooking steaks, chicken, fish, burgers, etc.

My Weber came with instructions on how to smoke meats at lower heat by arranging the coals around the outside. I need to try that sometime.

I don't understand people who say charcoal is too much work. You literally dump coals in and arrange in a pile, dump some starter fluid on, light it, and 20 minutes later it's ready to spread the coals out and cook.

My Weber has a feature that lets you move a lever back and forth to knock the ash down into a can, so you don't have to shovel the ash out. If you leave the lid off after cooking, the coals will just burn into ash powder.

I like Stubbs brand marinade for steaks.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Realize the Kamodo's, Green Egg's, and Green Mtn Grill's excel at the big meals and things like Prime Rib but what about when just the two of you want to grill up something quick and easy?

No problem, when you are done they seal off enough to put the charcoal out.
You just relight it when needed. ( I generally add a little fresh charcoal to make it easier to light).

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Good ole Weber kettle here. Dad always used charcoal and so do I. Can't beat the flavor and it's easy to get a great sear on a steak.

I cook pretty much everything but pork shoulder or ribs. That takes skill and needs to be done slowly, and I haven't attempted it yet. But I'm pretty good at marinating and cooking steaks, chicken, fish, burgers, etc.

My Weber came with instructions on how to smoke meats at lower heat by arranging the coals around the outside. I need to try that sometime.

I don't understand people who say charcoal is too much work. You literally dump coals in and arrange in a pile, dump some starter fluid on, light it, and 20 minutes later it's ready to spread the coals out and cook.

My Weber has a feature that lets you move a lever back and forth to knock the ash down into a can, so you don't have to shovel the ash out. If you leave the lid off after cooking, the coals will just burn into ash powder.

I like Stubbs brand marinade for steaks.

Check out amazingribs.com

They have tons of weber ideas. I have smoked many pork shoulders on it. The site explains various loe snd slow methods. Excellent site if ur interested in learning more. You might stop using lighter fluid too!

22" Weber Kettle (charcoal)
26" Weber Kettle (charcoal)
Another Weber (a little table top propane, Q 1200 or something?)
Green Mountain pellet grill
And a MasterBuilt smoker

Last year looked at the Komado grill at Costco and I think we'll look again this spring if I can talk the wife getting
rid of the 22" Weber and table top Weber.

I pretty much never get to touch the grill's (wife's rule) but on New Year's she wanted me to start the Green Mountain
and run it for a prime rib. She did all the prep work to the prime rib (light rub, then chopped fresh herbs, crush garlic,
something else in the mix, mixed all that in butter and completly packed the prime rib and in the fridge a couple days.
Set it on the counter a while, in the Green Mountain grill, sear at 500, stuck a few temp probes in and back in the grill
(I think at 200). Monitored the temp probes via the app, reach desired temp, rested and it turned out the
best prime rib so far. I did the grill operation per a friend recommendation hoping not to ruin it - whew!
All this while salmon was in the smoker after being in brine since day before.

The wife grills, average 4 days a week, all year. She is out doing rib eye steaks for supper now.
If plans don't change, this weekend she plans on smoked baby backs one day and tri-tip the next.
I think it would be worth getting and trying the Komado grill. At least I like the idea...

Originally Posted by Starman2112
Good ole Weber kettle grill for me.

^^^^^^^

Me too. Charcoal and hickory chunks... Or red oak wood too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back