Tilt & Pan Video Cameras ??

Who has experience with these things? How do they work? I'm assuming there is an app you have to download into your phone to run the thing.

Is the app free, or do they stick you with a monthly charge? I'm seeing where they are getting popular. Several of them are for outdoor use, that screw into light bulb sockets. That beats batteries. But they look as if they could be easily stolen. Unless you had a high outlet that required a ladder.

This one looks as like it's wireless and free standing. What type of batteries do they take, and how long do they last? I had a couple of those Arlo cameras about 7 or 8 years ago in our other place. They ran off an outlet, and you couldn't move them with your phone. They stayed set where you placed them.

I'm sure the technology has gotten a lot better since then... Not to mention a lot cheaper. I'm just looking for something for the inside of the house when we're not here, that isn't a pain to set up and get running.

We have ADT, but they stick you with big monthly charges on all of that kind of additional stuff like cameras and door locks, and it adds up fast. I would just as soon go with something separate from what they offer.

I have 10 cameras around my place with 6 of them being ptz. A few of the cameras are dahua and the rest are amcrest. They all record to a dedicated computer with blue iris camera recording software on it. I recommend the amcrest ptz cameras for the average person because the app is free and you can view and control the cameras at any time through the app. Also you can listen and talk back through the built in microphone and speaker. With the Amcrest cameras you can install a micro sd card and record right to the cameras but view footage from your phone all without a monthly payment.

My old Arlo cameras had a talk / listen feature on them. But there was a time delay on it, (both video and audio), that made it somewhat useless. But I had fun driving the dog nuts with it when we were out. It would also freeze up from time to time.

But as I said, I'm sure the technology has gotten much better. Right now I have a motion detector on my ADT system that captures movement in my living and dining room.

Anyone coming in the front or back door, as well as the living room slider would be caught on it. The problem is the dog will set it off if we leave him... Which makes it a bit useless.

Back