Great post running thinner oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's on the BITOG home page under "Motor Oil University".

While I'm a practitioner of running light high VI oils, despite claims to the contrary, the author of that piece has never run a true 20wt oil in any of his exotic toys. The equivalent of a 0W-30 is about it.

This is all i needed to read.
Quote:
I also opened and drained the oil cooler and took off every line that is in the oil system. I wanted to get every speck of the Shell oil out of there. For optimal results you are not supposed to mix synthetic oils of different brands.
Quote:
It all took about an hour. I then started the engine to check for leaks. The multitude of mechanical engine noises that followed nearly broke my eardrums for about 10 long seconds.

Nuff said.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
If you read it on the internet, it must be true!!!

That's true! I read that somewhere....
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
This is all i needed to read.
Quote:
I also opened and drained the oil cooler and took off every line that is in the oil system. I wanted to get every speck of the Shell oil out of there. For optimal results you are not supposed to mix synthetic oils of different brands.
Quote:
It all took about an hour. I then started the engine to check for leaks. The multitude of mechanical engine noises that followed nearly broke my eardrums for about 10 long seconds.

Nuff said.

The noise was because he had drained ALL the oil. Similar to the idea that you should fill your new oil filter when doing an oil change.

I was priming filters for a while, stopped. Maybe it was how I was doing it, but the dry starts were worse.

Maybe I'm getting an air pocket between the pump and a full oil filter? Or maybe a 30-45 min drain is too long, not quite sure.

Thanks for that info.
If that was written by anyone but Haas they would be labeled a completely clueless nut job.
Its Haas so he gets a pass.

Thanks for that info.
If that was written by anyone but Haas they would be labeled a completely clueless nut job.
Its Haas so he gets a pass.

Uncomfortably, yes.
Dr. Haas is generally right about oils, but makes 10 words into 10,000.
I mean no disrespect.

^^^Hahaha, absolutely true.

The dry start symphony was due to ridiculous oil change practices. One of the principal reasons most cars spec a hot oil change is precisely to minimize the amount of dry start time.

That said, I consistently enjoy Dr. Haas' speculations.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^Hahaha, absolutely true.

The dry start symphony was due to ridiculous oil change practices. One of the principal reasons most cars spec a hot oil change is precisely to minimize the amount of dry start time.

That said, I consistently enjoy Dr. Haas' speculations.

Yes I totally agree. The exact degree differs from one engine to the next, but in general it does add some additional delay to the circulation after an oil drain and a dry filter.

It's one of the reasons I try not to be too anal about really long drains or getting every last drop of old oil out. If you change the oil to a good schedule then chances are that what you're draining out isn't all that terrible anyway, so it's not going to kill anything if a little bit remains.

I like to drain my oil warm, and whatever comes out in the 5 minutes that it takes me to remove the old filter and screw on a new one (primed and lubed), then that's how much I'm gonna drain.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I think Dr Haas is a plastic surgeon. Maybe someday he cold post his boob job portfolio.

P.S. When he wrote that synthetics don't mix, he might have meant the European types. In that case he should have just flushed with conventional oil.

Last edited:
Quote:
When he wrote that synthetics don't mix, he might have meant the European types. In that case he should have just flushed with conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
For the first oil change in my 575 Maranello I drained the Shell and put in 0W-30 Mobil 1

Even in Europe where true synthetics are common no one would remove oil lines and basically leave an engines lubrication system totally dry to switch between brands or even switch from dino to synthetic (or vice versa).

An engine that dry needs to be either primed if possible or use an assembly lube.
The little oil that was left on the bearings is no where near enough to hold the engine the length of time it needed to build oil pressure.

He is lucky he didn't do some serious damage but who knows sometimes it doesn't show up for some time and a UOA isn't always a good predictor as one time poster BuickGN found out.
He did a UOA on a blown engine and it came back okay, the particles were too big or something if IIRC.

No disrespect to the guy. Its great he has all these nice toys and knows a lot about oil but i'm not sure he should cut loose with tools.

Even in Europe where true synthetics are common no one would remove oil lines and basically leave an engines lubrication system totally dry to switch between brands or even switch from dino to synthetic (or vice versa).

Personally, if it were me and I were for some reason obsessive about getting rid of as much of whatever residual oil as I could when doing the oil change, I'd probably do two or three in a row, rather than mess with a bunch of oil cooler plumbing or the like. Both procedures are wasteful of course, either of money or time.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Personally, if it were me and I were for some reason obsessive about getting rid of as much of whatever residual oil as I could when doing the oil change, I'd probably do two or three in a row, rather than mess with a bunch of oil cooler plumbing or the like. Both procedures are wasteful of course, either of money or time.

I used to work with a guy that did that, a double change every single OCI. It used to make me laugh at him, it was definitely an OCD.

He'd buy his main change oil, usually the most expensive oil he could get. Then he'd buy another change worth of whatever was the cheapest supermarket oil he could get. Then in a total waste of time and money he'd drop his oil and refill with the cheap supermarket oil, take it for a short drive, drop it again and put his overpriced oil in. LOL
crazy.gif
confused.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back