Mazda Skyactiv and GTL Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today, for the second time, a Mazda service advisor mentioned that Mazda doesn't recommend GTL oils (and he mentioned Pennzoil specifically). This just doesn't make sense to me but I would like to bring this fourth to see what do members think? I know we have a couple members that were working for Mazda and I also would like to pick their brains.

I really didn't also understand the reasoning behind it but he said something that the GTL oils run thinner and engines don't last a lifetime on these oils but that was the reasoning that was given to me.

Any thoughts?

Too late since a ton of oils on the market have "Synthetic" oil in them. Once upon a time Mazda didn't recommend running synthetic oils in their rotary engines? I'm not sure if this is still stuck on that old scenerio or they've never evolved. Has anyone seen Mazda recommend synthetic or just a specification. If in doubt as long as it lists Mazda' oil specification then you're good to go. Since GTL is considered by many to be Group III+ it would be in the "Synthetic" category. What is Mazda's oil specification in your manual?

Here's the 2021 & I see no mention of not using synthetics. I know one good way to get to the bottom of it & that is asking that advisor to show you where he get's that information from. Expect nothing & you'll know your answer.

https://www.mazdausa.com/static/manuals/2021/cx-5/contents/07030402.html

Last edited:
So today, for the second time, a Mazda service advisor mentioned that Mazda doesn't recommend GTL oils (and he mentioned Pennzoil specifically). This just doesn't make sense to me but I would like to bring this fourth to see what do members think? I know we have a couple members that were working for Mazda and I also would like to pick their brains.

I really didn't also understand the reasoning behind it but he said something that the GTL oils run thinner and engines don't last a lifetime on these oils but that was the reasoning that was given to me.

Any thoughts?

Have 2 new Mazdas currently and work for them as well. The owners manual for both is pretty lax regarding requirements. It only says something along the lines of "use an ILSAC or API rated oil...." or something like that. The 2.5Ts are 5W30 and everything else is 0W20. I can tell you for a fact that no Mazda dealership that I'm aware of uses the Mazda branded oil (Idemitsu) for maintenance unless the customer specifically asks and pays a premium. Every car that comes in for an oil change unless the owner specifically asks for the above gets bulk in either 0W20 or 5W30. We use Mobil Super Synthetic or Castrol blend (older cars).

Any thoughts?
I would say it is a reminder that the service advisor is not an engineer (chemical or mechanical). Still does not justify his basic ignorance about grades.

I would say it is a reminder that the service advisor is not an engineer (chemical or mechanical). Still does not justify his basic ignorance about grades.
Yes sometimes it makes you question their basic understanding of lubrication indeed. He must have heard from somewhere though as he was very adamant that a GTL 0W-20 would be harmful for the engine whereas a hydrocracked gpIII would not in a long run...

Yes sometimes it makes you question their basic understanding of lubrication indeed. He must have heard from somewhere though as he was very adamant that a GTL 0W-20 would be harmful for the engine whereas a hydrocracked gpIII would not in a long run...
Not to mention basic chemistry. GTL base stock is a hydrocracked Group III, the same basic chemical composition as both Group I and II. It only differs in the level of saturates, sulfur and in the VI.

Not to mention basic chemistry. GTL base stock is a hydrocracked Group III, the same basic chemical composition as both Group I and II. It only differs in the level of saturates, sulfur and in the VI.
Correct! Therefore it shouldn't harm the engine?

What fully formulated motor oil harms an engine?
I'm on the same page as you that it wouldn't and why would it? But according to the Mazda advisor GTL oils upon extended use would harm the engine. I don't agree with it but I wanted to see what's the basis for such claim that I have heard coming from two different Mazda dealerships in San Diego county.

Any thoughts?
🫨 that’s too much for me to wrap my head around. These are probably the Service advisors that show you a filthy cabin and air filter that they leave behind the counter trying to upsell

Service advisors may or may not have zero required mechanical training. A sales background/people skills are the most sought after traits for that position - selling additional recommended maintenance or finding a way to present and get the customer to agree to a costly repair.

Service advisors may or may not have zero required mechanical training. A sales background/people skills are the most sought after traits for that position - selling additional recommended maintenance or finding a way to present and get the customer to agree to a costly repair.
THIS is why I hate “stealerships“ & treat them like the plague they are! When I know more about the issues with my (or company) vehicle, what it needs, and the best way to maintain it than they do-I feel like I’m dealing with a fricking USED CAR SALESMAN! I’ve had varied arguments ranging from the simple stupid (how to rotate non-directional tires, including having to SHOW THEM THE OWNERS MANUAL!), to the complex stupid (how to diagnose a bad torque converter clutch, what screwed up leaf springs look like)… I think they’re intimidated by customers who aren’t rich women senior citizens that they can majorly screw over! (My apologies to any honest dealership service advisors, if they exist)

Last edited:
What is the mazda brand oil made with? :unsure:

Hearing this drivel from 2 separate dealers sounds almost unbelievable.

What is the mazda brand oil made with? :unsure:

Hearing this drivel from 2 separate dealers sounds almost unbelievable.
I believe Mazda branded oil is idemitsu. The first time I heard it a few months ago ignored it the second time I heard it today I couldn't ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back