Great Job, GM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
Originally Posted By: mpvue
other mfgrs source a brake from a well known vendor (brembos are on everything), there, DONE.

Uh, wrong. IIRC, the Camaro SS (or is it the RS package?) has Brembos.

nice. you tell me I'm wrong when you're not even sure yourself.
regardless of what's on it, attaching wheel weights is not a good fix.
additional edit: I went and read the link again; one of the commenters is saying they are brembos. there you go. still doesn't justify allowing the band aid to reach the consumer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mpvue
nice. you tell me I'm wrong when you're not even sure yourself.
regardless of what's on it, attaching wheel weights is not a good fix.

I didn't know if it was the SS or the RS, or which brakes (all of them?) had the weights. When I'm wrong, feel free to call me on it.
21.gif

I agree it's not the best fix, but it's not the big deal everyone is making it out to be, either. People are just looking for anything and everything wrong with GM products.

Some of their cars have/had real problems: Poorly made TPMS sensors/systems, years of W-cars with faulty intermediate steering shafts, poorly designed intake manifolds and gaskets, etc. IMO, 2-oz worth of weight stuck to a caliper to reduce noise isn't one of them.

If it was possibly a Cobalt or Aveo I don't think there would be too many complaints or whining, BUT this is a halo car that has been widely touted for Chevy and it isn't really cheap either, this is a small niggle but because it's something MORE than basic transportation there is EVERY reason to be picky about this is you are the customer.

If someone has one and doesn't like the weights, then knock them off for a cleaner appearance. If there is any brake noise that's unacceptable, then replace the pads with a different compound. Not a real big deal to me. I can think of worse designs from import manufacturers.

It's a risk to buy ANY first year car (but with some companies it's a bigger gamble than others).

But permitting the unwashed masses to mock obvious quick and dirty band-aid fixes says a lot about a company's priorities, engineering competency, etc. Where's the pride or shame? Even if it technically does work, I don't want a piece of chewing gum plugging a leak in my gas tank.

Originally Posted By: Tosh
It's a risk to buy ANY first year car (but with some companies it's a bigger gamble than others).

But permitting the unwashed masses to mock obvious quick and dirty band-aid fixes says a lot about a company's priorities, engineering competency, etc. Where's the pride or shame? Even if it technically does work, I don't want a piece of chewing gum plugging a leak in my gas tank.

Exactly! The dumbing down of GM's commitment to quality over the past 40 years is one reason their market share has dropped from 50% to less than half that.

The camaro does look nice though.

When the 2007 Camry came out with the new 6 speed transmission, there were many reports of transmissions dying within the first 500 miles. Some didn't even make it to 40 miles!

That stick-on material will not last long at typical caliper temps. Also hard to imagine that weights attached with a non-solid barrier would help with the high-frequency/small wavelength vibrations typical in brakes.

I wonder if a wheel installer stuck extra weights there while balancing the tire.

M

Static weights on a caliper? doesn't make sense. Those are designed to ONLY go on aluminum wheels for balancing purposes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grease_monkey
Static weights on a caliper? doesn't make sense. Those are designed to ONLY go on aluminum wheels for balancing purposes.

Many suspect the purpose is to modify the resonant frequency of the caliper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back