Got my first EZPass

Delivering a car to Long Island this weekend and although I don't go on toll roads often, the times I do I figure I might as well start saving on the tolls. In Maryland the transponder is free and I picked one up at the supermarket for a $25 toll credit. Now I see there is no discount for out of state use! When was that changed? DE turnpike $4, NJ turnpike around $15, GW bridge $16. What a racket.

Delivering a car to Long Island this weekend and although I don't go on toll roads often, the times I do I figure I might as well start saving on the tolls. In Maryland the transponder is free and I picked one up at the supermarket for a $25 toll credit. Now I see there is no discount for out of state use! When was that changed? DE turnpike $4, NJ turnpike around $15, GW bridge $16. What a racket.
"Please note all E-ZPass discounts apply to accounts at the E-ZPass New York and New Jersey Customer Service Centers only."

I didn't know that either.

I’ve had a Florida Sun Pass for quite a while. Only good in Florida.

A few months ago, Florida started to advertise SUN PASS PRO. Good on most every brill road on Eastern US. I ordered one online from SunPass. This one looks and mounts the same as my other one EXCEPT it says PRO.

SunPass Transponders sold all over Florida, including Publix, but they are not the PRO. In anyone buys one, make sure it is the PRO.

Florida also has E-Pass. (Not E-Z Pass). Strange that we have two,
E-Pass and Sun Pass, as they are both interchangeable. I think
E-Pass also works anywhere in the Eastern US.

It's great and convenient to have even if you don't use toll roads often because your balance never expires. IL has the IPass. It's the same transponders as EZ pass so they all work on each other's tolls + 50% off tolls. Also works with Oklahoma's Turnpike tolls.

The lack of interstate discounts has always been a thing, unfortunately. It's annoying but each EZPass agency is separate but using the same system. I've had one so long I'm pretty sure they're gonna be sending me a new one this year.

I have both EZ Pass and SunPass. I use SunPass yearly.

EZ Pass, which I only use occasionally, charges $3 per year to keep the account active.

Is there any suction cup device I can buy for it to swap it between cars? Or can I just hold it against the windshield while going through a toll booth?

I think they're all free so you have to pick and choose which one you use the most for the most discounts. I think I had a NY one initially because it was free and MA charged, but then they started to charge fees if you wanted statements or something like that so I got rid of it and got the MA one.

They usually give you some Velcro stickies so you can easily remove it and reattach it. Or you can pick that stuff up at Staples or wherever.

It's great and convenient to have even if you don't use toll roads often because your balance never expires. IL has the IPass. It's the same transponders as EZ pass so they all work on each other's tolls + 50% off tolls. Also works with Oklahoma's Turnpike tolls.

Are you sure about the part that I bolded?

I passed through Oklahoma in June and pointed to my IPass when I went to an attended booth. I was told no.

I drove through two toll plazas there in December where the pay lanes were coned off. Bills were mailed to me.

ohio is part of EZ pass charges around 14$ with a 12$ credit IIRC.

also 50cent monthly fee.

get some discounts and othertimes you avoid fees.

For example the one toll road in PA is 8$ if you have ez pass and 14$ if they mail you a bill(from license plate).. no option to pay besides those.

Here's a good story for you:
My Sister had a Florida Sun Pass about 12 years ago now. One day she found some significant bad charges on her credit card. Items like TV sets at WalMart, and some other stuff. I think the total bad charges came to about $5000.00!
She found that particularly strange because there she only kept a small amount of money in that account, just enough to pay for tolls etc.
Anyway they eventually tracked the charges back to the Sun Pass workers that were selling the card info on the web.
Oh, and the excess charges? That was because she had the small credit card "LINKED" to her savings account to prevent overdraft fees!

True story!

It's an electronic toll collection system used in California and especially in the Bay Area. You have a transponder ("medallion") that's linked to your Fastrak account on or near your windshield. It's useful to have because you can take the faster Fastrak lanes at the toll stations and just zip right though. On The Golden gate Bridge you can no longer pay cash. It's either Fastrak or a bill in the mail each time you cross from North going South. If yu don't want to use Fastrak you simply put the transponder in your glove box. If you are worried about being tracked, keep the transponder in a Fritos bag or similar.

Is there any suction cup device I can buy for it to swap it between cars? Or can I just hold it against the windshield while going through a toll booth?
The Sun Pass and Sun Pass PRO both have Suction Cups to mount on inside of windshield.

No charge to keep your transponder active. (Don’t know about Florida E-Pass). So far, although Publix and Convenience Stores sell the regular Sun Pass transponders, I have not (yet) seen the Sun Pass PRO sold there. (I’ve never seen Florida E-Pass sold in stores either). I purchased my PRO on the Sun Pass app or on
www.SunPass.com
You do not need to have Florida License Plates. I have Canadian friends that have Ontario plates that use it.

Back