Got my first EZPass

A federal law passed several years ago required all the tolling systems to communicate and be able to accept transponders from other systems. Apparently the rollout took several years and was a nightmare as most systems use completely differing technology.

I have an EZPass from NY (never used) and a SunPass mini from Florida( use frequently) . The SunPass has no fees and can charge $10 increments which I prefer. The SunPass pro transponder can be used all over the place to include EZ pass.
Same here. I got Mini's when we were taking the Accord and TL to Florida and I ponied up for a Pro last year since I was doing some traveling up north and I already had a Sunpass account so it just made sense to stick with that account instead of buying a Georgia based one.

Here's a good story for you:
My Sister had a Florida Sun Pass about 12 years ago now. One day she found some significant bad charges on her credit card. Items like TV sets at WalMart, and some other stuff. I think the total bad charges came to about $5000.00!
She found that particularly strange because there she only kept a small amount of money in that account, just enough to pay for tolls etc.
Anyway they eventually tracked the charges back to the Sun Pass workers that were selling the card info on the web.
Oh, and the excess charges? That was because she had the small credit card "LINKED" to her savings account to prevent overdraft fees!

True story!
Poor computer system design. In most cases there is no need to be able to display the entire CC number. It's PCI data and they need to be extremely careful with it.

Are you sure about the part that I bolded?

I passed through Oklahoma in June and pointed to my IPass when I went to an attended booth. I was told no.

I drove through two toll plazas there in December where the pay lanes were coned off. Bills were mailed to me.

Yep, my mom lives in OK so I drive back and forth often. The booth workers may not know the IPass is the same thing as an EZ pass but the drive-thru lanes will read your transponder. I've had several issues where even EZ Pass tolls didn't read my transponder though so I'm chalking it up to transponder issues.

The EZ Pass transponders have an antenna that needs to be HORIZONTAL to get picked up. Just chucking it on your dash willy nilly may result in spotty results.

That makes sense why the booths sometimes don't read my transponder. I just hold it up, probably waving it around.

Last edited:
I very rarely travel anymore, but keep my PA Turnpike EZPass velcro'd to the windshield in my truck just incase of need. Although now PA uses toll by plate, it saves me money and if I need to bomb down the NY Thruway or the Virginia 495 I'm covered.

Local roads are fine if your own time is not valuable to you. I would spend at least double if not triple time driving off till highway.

From MD to Florida just zipping through with no pass they simply billed me and no fines.

NJ however will slap you with a $50 fine and the toll...
The fees for doing that are much higher. MD is the worst with that - absolute thieves.

Twice, different ez pass transponders haven’t worked in the last few months for me. Different transponders, different cars, worked for every other toll on the trip.

MD charged me $8 fir video toll on the Nice bridge (out of state ez pass is $6), and $12 for the I-95 bridge by Aberdeen (out of state ez pass is $8).

Thieves.

NJ will fine you if you don’t have an ez pass. If you do, you can put the account number and they will bill it the correct amount. MD wants fees for their error..btdt…

Last edited:
How long for transactions to show up on your account. I see NJ and NY already posted from yesterday afternoon but not the two in MD from the morning.

How long for transactions to show up on your account. I see NJ and NY already posted from yesterday afternoon but not the two in MD from the morning.
Typically, they usually all post within a few days. I wouldn't worry about any particular day-to-day variation so soon, particularly when the tolls are in different states.

On a related note: in my transponder, the battery had died or was starting to die.... I figured this out eventually by watching my online account. It was taking three, four or even five weeks to show the tolls in my account! I think initially my car was going onto some "not paid" list and then the system checked my plate number and matched it up with my account. Fortunately I didn't get charged any penalties and once I got and installed a new tag, my account went right back to the usual 2-3 days reporting time.

I picked up one about this time last year. With the NYS thruway going toll less and the state charging you an arm and leg to have you pay the toll, it was cheaper. I do worry about getting a speeding ticket if my average speed is above 65, though.

I’ve had EZ pass in New Jersey for ten years linked into a credit card that refreshes my account when it falls under a set threshold. No problems, no issues, no nothing. I get so weary of hearing from people who can’t figure out how to get dressed in the morning.

We had a situation with EZPass. We had a charge from EZPass on our linked credit card for over $300. Called EZPass, and they said that the charges were for a multi-axle vehicle that traversed the full length of the PA turnpike and then used the EZPass tollgate without a transponder, and the picture of the license plate of the vehicle matched a plate on our account. At the time, we had a Ford Escape with an Air Force plate that started with "AF". Let's just say for this example we had AF12345

We explained to EZPass that was not possible. They literally said "We are EZPass. We don't make mistakes." They sent us dispute forms to fill out, and then we had to drive to Camden, NJ to show the EZPass office the actual vehicle our "AF" plate was on so they could confirm the plate. We did all of that and then waited 3 weeks or so. EZPass did an "Investigation", and in reviewing the license plate photo from the toll booth determined the plate was a trailer with the plate AP12345. Their automated system saw the P as an F and billed us the $300+ toll. They reversed the $300+ charge a few weeks after that. So it took 6-8 weeks to get it all sorted out.

"We are EZPass. We don't make mistakes." Uh, yeah, sure you don't.

Then you would have to apply that tape to every car. Ordered this suction cup mounting instead. Nothing to permanently apply. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BNMBKLN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can have up to six transponders on your EZ Pass account. The 3M tape holds well, and each transponder is shipped with an extra tape mounting kit, including alcohol wipes to clean the surface.

Some cars, for example, the Mercedes W220 S class, have a metal layer in the windshield which prevents the transponder being read, and require an external transponder. That transponder attaches to the license plate.

I’ve got six transponders across seven cars (no need to put EZ Pass on the Packard). So, I still swap transponders once in a while. The 3M tape makes that quick and easy. I mount them high up, and behind the mirror, so they don’t block my line of sight.

I got EZ Pass after traveling from NY to Florida one night and sitting on the toll like at the NJ Delaware border for over an hour while the EZ Pass lane just wizzed on by. Never again.

Back