Got my first EZPass

I’ve had EZ pass in New Jersey for ten years linked into a credit card that refreshes my account when it falls under a set threshold. No problems, no issues, no nothing. I get so weary of hearing from people who can’t figure out how to get dressed in the morning.

The thing about these schemes is they get to hold your money while you're not even using the toll road and you pay service fees on top of that to keep the account active. Talk about a racket! No thanks, I'd rather just stick to local roads if it comes down to the swines not accepting cash.

I’ve had a Florida Sun Pass for quite a while. Only good in Florida.
I've used the $5 mini Sunpass for Georgia Peach pass for many years now. I know there are a few places only the Pro works, but the cheaper one has worked out of state on certain roads for some time.

The thing about these schemes is they get to hold your money while you're not even using the toll road and you pay service fees on top of that to keep the account active. Talk about a racket! No thanks, I'd rather just stick to local roads if it comes down to the swines not accepting cash.
I get it but.. try flying up the New Jersey Turnpike trying to get a flight out of EWR and watching traffic stream thru the Ez pass lines while you get behind 30 cars in the “cash only lane”? Is that dollar or two worth it? If it’s that’s big of a deal maybe you can’t afford that vacation you’re going on..just sayin.

get it but.. try flying up the New Jersey Turnpike trying to get a flight out of EWR and watching traffic stream thru the Ez pass lines while you get behind 30 cars in the “cash only lane”? Is that dollar or two worth it? If it’s that’s big of a deal maybe you can’t afford that vacation you’re going on..just sayin.

It's not a matter of not being able to afford a dollar or two, I dislike scams and ripoffs and do my best to avoid them. Just sayin.

Ok. I agree. It comes down to ones willingness to pay over and above to pay for a service. Here in New Jersey they have us at a point where we say “Whatever.” A dollar here and there to keep us one leg over on the next guy is worth it to most of us here. It’s not pretty but that’s the way it is here.

It's not a matter of not being able to afford a dollar or two, I dislike scams and ripoffs and do my best to avoid them. Just sayin.
So you pay more money and take longer to travel in order to avoid them?

If you travel on these roads or bridges on a regular basis, EZ Pass is a great thing.

It's basically a trade off between how much you value your time and how much you hate perceived scams/rip-off's. Most places don't have fees. Maybe some do, I think maybe that's why I got rid of the NY one, they were going to start charging some minor monthly fee. And them holding less than $50 in pre-paid toll money isn't that big a deal to me, they're not exactly killing it with that kind of money, what's money market account pay these days .6%? So they're going to make an extra 30 cents on your money or less a year. Big deal. I have way more than that just sitting in a checking account earning no interest. At least there's some convenience having the pass, then you don't have a separate pay by mail bill to handle. Also when they first came out, the line to pay could be 10-20 minutes and if a holiday, maybe 40 minutes. The first time you avoided a huge line like that made it worth it right there.

Time is the one thing that we all have a limited amount of, don't waste it on pointless principles that don't even mean anything. Just sayin.

Reactions: Pew
Is there any suction cup device I can buy for it to swap it between cars? Or can I just hold it against the windshield while going through a toll booth?
I tossed mine onto the dashboard. It settled into the defroster vent. For me it was worth buying one per vehicle, if you have a bunch on the road maybe you should velcro it to a baseball cap and use that as your driving hat.

The EZ Pass transponders have an antenna that needs to be HORIZONTAL to get picked up. Just chucking it on your dash willy nilly may result in spotty results.

Maine has no maintenance fees, charges in $20 increments, keeps a $20+ ish balance, and the transponders are $10. I save on the ME Turnpike, but have also saved, IIRC, four cents in NY. NY credits the money saved on toll collectors, apparently, but doesn't give me the resident discount.

The transactions aren't "live", they get reconciled approximately daily, so they want drivers to have a cushion of money to cover things. It's also probably easier on the credit card fees to charge in slightly larger increments.

NJ Delaware Joint Toll Bridge Commision (PA to NJ bridges) charges $1.25 on E Pass, $3 cash for cars. You have to pay to leave NJ but coming in is free. :rolleyes:
E pass is the way to go for frequent flyers like me in the northern Tri state area.

They have us over a barrel in NJ. You can have a barrier toll plaza with 10 ezpass lanes. And one for cash. Guess which one has 25 cars lined up. I don’t drive anywhere and I have EZ pass in both cars. With my luck the wife would be driving me to the hospital with a heart attack and the last thing I would ever hear would be “Do you have a quarter?”

I just hold it with two fingers with both hands on the wheel.
In Jersey if you want to use one transponder for multiple cars they all have to be on your account. All long as the weight class is the same you’re ok. But trying to stretch one transponder over multiple cars can be a PITA.

Our rental in Florida had EZ Pass (I think?) and it was added to our rental fee.. it wasn’t bad. I figured it was Florida only. I don’t get ou much.

Better than holding vacation time at a toll booth. Lol.

You can use this site to calculate how much your tolls will be. I think you can also select which transponder you have so I guess if you use various ones in the state you go through, you might be able to figure out which one is the cheapest to use all the time.

A federal law passed several years ago required all the tolling systems to communicate and be able to accept transponders from other systems. Apparently the rollout took several years and was a nightmare as most systems use completely differing technology.

I have an EZPass from NY (never used) and a SunPass mini from Florida( use frequently) . The SunPass has no fees and can charge $10 increments which I prefer. The SunPass pro transponder can be used all over the place to include EZ pass.

Back