Got bored. Installed K&N filter.

Even if it allows twice as much airflow it will make little to no difference in the driving experience. Most engines are already set up with intake systems that allow more than enough airflow. You think that manufacturers are intentionally quieting intake systems at the expense of horsepower and fuel economy? I think not. Some testing has shown reductions in horsepower, in fact. Intake valves only open so far and combustion chamber volume is constant.

Yes, the K&N flows better because it has bigger pores, less filtration.
My point is this is not the only way to flow better. Alternatively, one can increase the filter's effective surface area (more/bigger pleats) while keeping the same filtration efficiency.

I'll add that I believe this is mainly a theoretical concern. Whatever stuff the K&N allows to flow past that the OEM filter would have blocked, does not appear to have any obvious real-world negative impact. Some vehicles come from the factory with K&N filters (or functionally equivalent designs), and many airplanes also use this type of filter. I haven't read about problems with these cars caused by the K&N filters, nor airplanes falling out of the sky or having premature engine replacement because of them. We've all seen the comparisons that show more gunk getting past a K&N filter, but I haven't seen any evidence what real-world effect this may (or may not) have on the engine.

Given this lack of evidence, either approach (using or avoiding K&N filters) is entirely reasonable.
Airplanes don't travel down dusty roads and don't follow behind each other on the highway. A bit different scenario, wouldn't you say? I mean turbine engines have zero air filtration...

Last edited:
Even if it allows twice as much airflow it will make little to no difference in the driving experience. Most engines are already set up with intake systems that allow more than enough airflow. You think that manufacturers are intentionally quieting intake systems at the expense of horsepower and fuel economy? I think not. Some testing has shown reductions in horsepower, in fact. Intake valves only open so far and combustion chamber volume is constant.
If any HP is gained with a less restrictive filter also depends on the design of the intake system between the filter and throttle body. And of course the HP gain can only be seen at wide open throttle. So using something like a K&N air filter would really only be benificial for WOT racing activities.

Even high performance cars like Corvettes that already have a pretty good intake system design saw some pretty big HP increases with just a whole new intake system (filter to throttle body). Hall Tech intake systems were giving something like 6~8% RWHP increases, which is around a 25~30 HP increase. Engine volumetric efficiency can be increased with a better tuned intake system. Don't recall what the HP increase was with just a filter change in the stock intake, something like 8~10 HP IIRC.

If any HP is gained with a less restrictive filter also depends on the design of the intake system between the filter and throttle body. And of course the HP gain can only be seen at wide open throttle. So using something like a K&N air filter would really only be benificial for WOT racing activities.

Even high performance cars like Corvettes that already have a pretty good intake system design saw some pretty big HP increases with just a whole new intake system (filter to throttle body). Hall Tech intake systems were giving something like 6~8% RWHP increases, which is around a 25~30 HP increase. Engine volumetric efficiency can be increased with a better tuned intake system. Don't recall what the HP increase was with just a filter change in the stock intake, something like 8~10 HP IIRC.
Good info. Thank you.

Airplanes don't travel down dusty roads and don't follow behind each other on the highway. A bit different scenario, wouldn't you say? I mean turbine engines have zero air filtration...
Good point, but airplanes do taxi around airports sucking in the exhaust & particles of other aircraft and ground vehicles, and piston singles fly in and out of dirt, gravel, grass strips, and fly at low altitudes where the air is dirty, and with all the forest fires in the past 10 years, we fly through smoke in the summer. And when carb heat is on (typically on approach and landing, where we are near the surface where the air is dirty) there is no filtration at all (it bypasses the filtered intake).

Overall, we probably have cleaner air going into the engine compared to most cars... but the difference may not be as much as people think.

I purchased a used 2013 Chevy 1500 truck a few years ago with 25,000 miles. The prior owner had installed a K&N. As soon as I discovered this, I removed the K&N threw it away and installed a FRAM. No noticable difference in mileage or power.

I have a 60° V6, so a 14" just looks kind of ridiculous. Wondering how I could find an 11" paper equivalent to my K&N

Wix has a lookup tool. So, for example, the 42912 is 10.25" across, 2" tall. The 46369 is 11" across, 5" tall:
46369.gif

Quite a few options, I don't know the height of your existing filter, but you could go through there and see if you can find a match.

Wix has a lookup tool. So, for example, the 42912 is 10.25" across, 2" tall. The 46369 is 11" across, 5" tall:
46369.gif

Quite a few options, I don't know the height of your existing filter, but you could go through there and see if you can find a match.
That is very helpful. Found a couple good choices. Hilariously, one is the OE filter for my car which hasn't had a stock air cleaner in the 21 years I have owned it, so who knew. lol

I am very limited on hood clearance; since it is 0.13" taller than the K&N, I just to make sure my air cleaner lid not won't hit the bottom of the hood. 1973 Mercury Capri with a 2.8 V6. Just ordered a Hastings/Baldwin from Rock Auto

Attachments

• Capri engine.jpg
    Capri engine.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
None of my cars that all run K&N have ever shown higher silicon in my many UOAs.
Perhaps that is because you live in Virginia? That has as much to do with it as the filter, here in the Great Lakes region we don't have a lot of airborne sand or silica but in the desert Southwest that might be a different story. If it isn't in the environment to start with then it won't appear in the UOA.

Perhaps that is because you live in Virginia? That has as much to do with it as the filter, here in the Great Lakes region we don't have a lot of airborne sand or silica but in the desert Southwest that might be a different story. If it isn't in the environment to start with then it won't appear in the UOA.
It certainly is related I'm sure. The point was the universal "you'll see more Si in your UOA" mantra w/r to running higher-flow/less filtering media like a K&N is not accurate. Many see no uptick. And I agree....in v. dusty areas that may impact it. Need data.

Last edited:
If you can see pinpoints of sunlight through the filter (and you can), dust that size can see a direct path into the engine.

Some charts I've seen suggest that the intake piping poses more pressure drop than the filter, regardless of choice. In any event, 2 in H2O pressure drop for the intake system is insignificant against 407 in H20 of atmospheric pressure pushing air into the engine.

Last edited:
Yes, the K&N flows better because it has bigger pores, less filtration.
My point is this is not the only way to flow better. Alternatively, one can increase the filter's effective surface area (more/bigger pleats) while keeping the same filtration efficiency.

I'll add that I believe this is mainly a theoretical concern. Whatever stuff the K&N allows to flow past that the OEM filter would have blocked, does not appear to have any obvious real-world negative impact. Some vehicles come from the factory with K&N filters (or functionally equivalent designs), and many airplanes also use this type of filter. I haven't read about problems with these cars caused by the K&N filters, nor airplanes falling out of the sky or having premature engine replacement because of them. We've all seen the comparisons that show more gunk getting past a K&N filter, but I haven't seen any evidence what real-world effect this may (or may not) have on the engine.

Given this lack of evidence, either approach (using or avoiding K&N filters) is entirely reasonable.
I had one on a Ford 351 in a truck I did a lot of offroad driving with. After a dusty trip the throttle body was coated in a thin layer of fine dust. I wanted it to be an air leak somewhere or ill fitted filter, but it wasn't. It was just simple lack of filtration by the "filter".

Given this firsthand evidence, using a K&N is entirely insane.

If you can see pinpoints of sunlight through the filter (and you can), dust that size can see a direct path into the engine.

Some charts I've seen suggest that the intake piping poses more pressure drop than the filter, regardless of choice. In any event, 2 in H2O pressure drop for the intake system is insignificant against 407 in H20 of atmospheric pressure pushing air into the engine.
That's the whole point of the oil.....

Back