Got bored. Installed K&N filter.

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole if I am honest. Waste of money as any gains are so minimal it's useless, and the amount of crap they let through is incredible! This is well worth a watch to see just how worse they are at actually filtering.

Oh, and even with all that extra rubbish going into the engine, he gained 0.3 seconds on his 0-60.

No offence but I do not understand why anyone thinks it’s a good idea to put one of these in a family vehicle. What do you stand to gain? In a dirtbike it makes sense but even then I’d prefer oiled foam.
I think that when we're young, we fall into the marketing trap of paying a lot more for a little more performance(very little/none).

I've used several K&N filters. No problemo but some questions can't be answered. ;)

images

I use them and my Silicon levels are always about 20-21. 8-10K OCI.

As for performance? They made an audible difference on an old Prelude I had. I never got it dyno tested and I never took it to the track, so no additional evidence was collected. I have a similar type of filter with the CAI on the Mustang and that part (and attached filter) have made a difference in throttle response. But, again, no dyno numbers or quarter mile times to say anything is truly different.

One good thing is not even having to think about how long you've been using it between cleanings. Every couple of years is fine ;)

I did something similar. Then the next time I was bored I took them out and threw them in the garbage and installed paper air filters again. Decided hearing more intake noise wasn't better than having some decent filtration. I did just buy a k&n oil filter for my Mazda because it was the cheapest on amazon.. I also have a K&N air filter on my 4 wheeler because that's what was on it when I got it and it'd cost over $60 to get a stock one back in there.. It definitely flows more air than stock as I had to go to a richer idle jet.

If you are really bored do a UOA after using the K&N filter for awhile and see how much dirt (silicon) the filter has let in.
No K&N filters for any of my vehicles.
I had one on my motorbike ('99 Honda Magna VF750). Before/after UOA showed no change in Si or anything else. It didn't make a noticeable difference in performance either. I did rejet the carbs, but I was going to do that anyway since the factory settings were too lean. I can't say that the K&N contributed to that. But as it's a lifetime filter you can clean, re-oil and replace, and it was better made with a rubbery frame that fit and sealed better, I liked it.

Back