Got bored. Installed K&N filter.

The only way to flow more air into your intake is to reduce the restriction . How do you reduce the the restriction in a filter ? Larger pores ..

The factory intake system is designed in tandem with the exhaust system and engine's air requirements. Even running an open intake with no filter won't likely make any noticeable difference in driving other than increased noise. But, hey, they look cool under the hood, right?

The Ford V-10 motorhome that I bought came with one. I took it out and threw it away... and then replaced it with an air filter. Problem solved.

I didn't notice the loss of that 1/2 horsepower by doing so.

I argued for years (decades) against using K&N filters from almost day one of their introduction. Paper filters always won out for cleaning the air and their CFM rating exceeds the oily gauze type.

Makes me think about a UOA.

2013 f150 5.0
PMAS oiled air filter in PMAS intake.
Oz Omega tune running 93 octane.

Redesign for a bigger filter with more surface ar

Right. Or same physical size with more pleats to achieve greater surface area, less resistance to flow, with the same filtration efficiency.
" Filtration efficiency " is the issue . Larger pores allow larger particles to pass through . How does K&N allow more air to pass ? Is it more pleats or less filtration ? I think the oil is a clue .

Yes, the K&N flows better because it has bigger pores, less filtration.
My point is this is not the only way to flow better. Alternatively, one can increase the filter's effective surface area (more/bigger pleats) while keeping the same filtration efficiency.

I'll add that I believe this is mainly a theoretical concern. Whatever stuff the K&N allows to flow past that the OEM filter would have blocked, does not appear to have any obvious real-world negative impact. Some vehicles come from the factory with K&N filters (or functionally equivalent designs), and many airplanes also use this type of filter. I haven't read about problems with these cars caused by the K&N filters, nor airplanes falling out of the sky or having premature engine replacement because of them. We've all seen the comparisons that show more gunk getting past a K&N filter, but I haven't seen any evidence what real-world effect this may (or may not) have on the engine.

Given this lack of evidence, either approach (using or avoiding K&N filters) is entirely reasonable.

Last edited:
No offence but I do not understand why anyone thinks it’s a good idea to put one of these in a family vehicle. What do you stand to gain? In a dirtbike it makes sense but even then I’d prefer oiled foam.
Not even a dirt bike! Especially not one. It will cause wear real fast. Went through that 40 years ago

But what flow!

Attachments

• 1A16DC4C-D61A-4AC6-8702-887FAE545CE0.jpg
    1A16DC4C-D61A-4AC6-8702-887FAE545CE0.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 8
I have one in an old car with an 11" open element air cleaner. If I wanted to use paper, how would I find one with the same dimensions?

I pulled one from the junk yard and it was much better than what came with the car. I have a cold air intake and tuner now

Back