Got bored. Installed K&N filter.

Without knowing the exact details about the air being ingested that doesn't tell much. "occasional cloud of oil absorbent" isn't a laboratory value. Besides you're looking at a second-order effect, how does anyone know how abrasive the material is and what the actual effect on a UOA would be?

A UOA isn't a real substitute for air filter efficiency testing.
I agree with you and by the same token - it's repeated here and elsewhere that you will get higher SiO2 in your UOAs which isn't always the case as has been shown by the many examples posted. The proper filtration data show clearly that K&N has a lower efficiency than paper...simple. Whether that damages your engine, who knows/up for the end user to decide.

Ya'll are all misunderstanding how the K&N filter works. It adds HP by boring out the cylinders with the dust it lets by to increase displacement. Then you run a 20W50 oil to help the rings seal against the "honed" cylinder walls. Between the time the dust starts to bore out your cylinders and the time you switch to 20W50, you get an instant HP increase because the pistons are "freed up" to move more easily within the cylinder walls. You just need to add the 20W50 before a piston tries to travel at a 40 degree angle though the cylinder like a crossthreaded bolt going into a hole.

#MURICA
#PFFFTHIIIIIIISSSSSSPOP!
#FASTNSPURIOUS
#WINGLIFE

Real-world data, similar to what TiGeo has posted. K&N oiled flat panel filter dropped into the stock airbox. This is mixed street and track use on a single filter over the past year. Track driving (12 events) has been on hot days, rainy days, and through the occasional cloud from oil-absorbant cleanup powder. Silicon level is low, showing the K&N filter is doing its job.
Real-world data, similar to what TiGeo has posted. K&N oiled flat panel filter dropped into the stock airbox. This is mixed street and track use on a single filter over the past year. Track driving (12 events) has been on hot days, rainy days, and through the occasional cloud from oil-absorbant cleanup powder. Silicon level is low, showing the K&N filter is doing its job.
Great. K&N filter is doing its job for you. I am happy. Its just not for me. I tried them. No I don't have some kind of (laboratory proof) why just like I don't have proof in writing why I like 7Up more than Sprite since I am not asking anyone to purchase or use anything. My comment to TiGeo was ? wait , he is telling me I am in the wrong post simply because after I mentioned I chose the paper filter but have used K&N oil filters when that is all was on the shelf for my car? Christ, people are bored for sure (EVEN THIS POST title is "GOT Bored Installed K&N") so bored they have to tell me "FOUL! you belong on another post!" Ha ha ha ..... I guess its true (for me too) Idle hands are the devil's work shop. Have a good day.

@SammyChevelleTypeS3 I said that to you b/c you were asking about the best oil anlaysis lab (your post #112 )- you will certainly get better responeses in a post about that (whether a new one or existing posts that are activer) vs. a post with the typical argument/dicusssion about K&N/high-flow air filters. It's pretty standard online in forums to try to keep the posts on-task w/r to the OP's question/discussion. Based on your responses this must have really chapped your ass. That wasn't the intent but you know how the internet works...haha

Last edited:
@SammyChevelleTypeS3 I said that to you b/c you were asking about the best oil anlaysis lab (your post #112 )- you will certainly get better responeses in a post about that (whether a new one or existing posts that are activer) vs. a post with the typical argument/dicusssion about K&N/high-flow air filters. It's pretty standard online in forums to try to keep the posts on-task w/r to the OP's question/discussion. Based on your responses this must have really chapped your ass. That wasn't the intent but you know how the internet works...haha
(y):)

LOL. I still like your chosen AVATAR.

LOL. I still like your chosen AVATAR.
Spies Like Us is one of favorites...I have "Emmett Fitz-Hume" as my name sticker on my mountain bike. Talk about off topic!
Capture.JPG

Spies Like Us is one of favorites...I have "Emmett Fitz-Hume" as my name sticker on my mountain bike. Talk about off topic!
View attachment 78080
:ROFLMAO:(y):ROFLMAO: I sure enough did it. Woke at exactly 0200am and it was already loaded. I enjoyed that so much! The cheating on the test!!! Too much.
Many many belly laughs. Thank you for reminding me. Take care my man.

His data indicate otherwise (on the horses):

Interesting. I been watching YouTube videos for years similar. What is cool is now a days we can all find near every ****ed thing we can imagine to find on some video. A LOT we probably DON'T want to see too. LOL! What a world?!? YIKES. Some stuff I wish I had not seen on the news already this week. UGH. A band at some NY festival got a bit too carried away on the stage. (enough said) There are some real wacko people out there. But I still think the good / sane still can find their way onto a platform to share like this guy. I admit I am finicky about certain things. I will choose to pay extra $$ for some products and then I won't for others. I guess we all wired that way. We like / pay more attention to some things and others not so much. Thanks for sharing that one. (y)

I am sure their are still posts here or elsewhere that remark that the K&N filter changes the Air flow pattern and as such can cause issues

The factory intake system is designed in tandem with the exhaust system and engine's air requirements. Even running an open intake with no filter won't likely make any noticeable difference in driving other than increased noise. But, hey, they look cool under the hood, right?

I personally wouldn't use one, but there are some special packages that use an oiled gauze air filter. I was looking at a TRD 86 at a Toyota dealer once, and checked under the hood. It's got one of these:

And the cleaning/reoiling kit:

PTR4300088_2.jpg

Back