Got another $400 saturn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to beat around until the title shows up early November.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'm going to beat around until the title shows up early November.

Would you be open to trading this car for Technologic's 93 Blazer plus a little cash on top? Then you can have the Blazer has a project and fix that up. Just an idea that may help the guy out.

Gearhead's money is as green as anyone else's. I'd pay scrap value for that blazer though.

Gearhead's money is as green as anyone else's. I'd pay scrap value for that blazer though.

i knew it you cannot sit still without a project...
liked the HDD connector touch......

Why don't you just adopt GHT? You already are raising few kids of your own, what is one more?? I am sure your wife will be thrilled with this suggestion :)

Has a "Saturn of Haverhill" decal on the back: Sweet, a Southern car!!!
lol.gif

I spit my coffee!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Why don't you just adopt GHT? You already are raising few kids of your own, what is one more?? I am sure your wife will be thrilled with this suggestion :)

Is this the real reason why he asked about that indestructible cage in the other thread?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Vikas

Is this the real reason why he asked about that indestructible cage in the other thread?

naaaaaaaaaah,
he just need to paint the cage mercedes blue.
that bleu ciel will calm everything and everybody down.
also I don't think he will adopt GHT/Techo.
he is too expensive....
if my memory serves me right, he win a "most cheap" thread. something about toothpaste and a rolling pin.

Last edited:
Well, she's legal.

Took it in for an inspection, the guy noticed a blown strut. It was good a week before when I did brakes, but very definitely blown.
frown.gif

In the "good news" dept, I had one sitting in my basement, with a spring still on it. Came home, did some nascar type stuff with my impact gun, had a legal car.

Took it back in, mechanic thought I had just cleaned the old strut up with brake cleaner because I did it so fast.

Service writer offered me a job.
lol.gif
lol.gif
I "broke cover" and told him how I worked at another store in his chain until I busted my ankle.

I also had to correct them on price; my car being an uber-rare non-OBD-II is, by statute, three bucks cheaper for a state inspection.

With this all handled I got to thinking that the snow tires I borrowed from my stash should go back in my stash. Also had some scrap metal banging around taking up space. Might snow soon and all. So I packed up a (good) saturn engine block and cracked head, half a dozen rotors and drums, dead tecumseh snowblower engine, and head off to my favorite junkyard.

This car is supposed to roll on 175/70/14s but everyone uses 185/65 now. This thing came in on 195/60/14 which seems like a weird size and I was concerned I wouldn't find any more.

Concern ended! As I walked into the metal barn/ outbuilding at the junkyard I came face to face with a stack of 195/60/14! Pick out two favorites and carry them into the cashier.

Talked over with cashier chickie who wanted me to drive over to the scales, unload my aluminum, then drive again, unload my ferrous, etc.

An older guy was hanging out in there too and I said, "here's the deal..." and we agreed on the trade without any further paper chase.
laugh.gif

Future plans: The AC pulley still squeaks at times so I'm getting a shorter belt, and might be ripping the AC junk out to save weight and have a cleaner appearance. Stay tuned...

So I mounted up my junkyard tires... I like to let them "rest" at 50 psi for a few days to really truly seat the beads. First pic, "What is a Prometer tire", AKA, "They had me at twenty bux for 9/32."

DSC_0001_zps0e8157cf.jpg

2nd: DOT code says right around two years old. Turns out Prometer is made by SHANDONG LINGLONG TYRE CO., LTD, ZHAOYUAN CITY. So they're as American as Apple Pie...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

DSC_0003_zpsc528ff96.jpg

How to read the date codes on tires? Made in 2011 but what do the other numbers signify? I could guess but would rather be sure. Thanks!

edit: looked it up, week and year it appears per tirerack. I'll check my tire today that I bought last year on dtd.

Have a nice day!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
STill waiting for a pic of the rest of the car...
grin.gif

Agreed...enough with the tease, lift the curtain, show us the car.

Show us the car...!

Show us the car...!

Show us the car...!

My SHANDONG LINGLONG TYRE looking boss...

DSC_0019_zps69eceffa.jpg

It's not Armor-Some, not Armor-Most, it's Armor-All. Let's paint the inside hard surfaces with it.

DSC_0016_zps14a5eb95.jpg

The remnants of an "up-arrow" sticker reside. This symbolizes any future buyer will be "moving on up" when they get this car.
01.gif

DSC_0013_zpsc818c2f5.jpg

Driver's headlight looks like it's crying. Maybe it knows thinks I'm putting it up for adoption.

DSC_0014_zpsc520e709.jpg

Where it all happens. The caky white junk on the upper rad hose is NOT a current leak. Suspect the rad leaked there, was replaced, but they were too cheap for a $10 hose. My kinda people.

DSC_0017_zps7fedbc13.jpg

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Apparently MacGyver lives up in Maine.
grin2.gif

+1 Must say I'm impressed. Had a plan, attacked unknown/unexpected issues and known issues with ingenuity and organization.

Nice work!
thumbsup2.gif

How's the engine run? Does it still smoke like it did when you first bought it? Love the different color plug wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back