GOODBYE 0w-20 5W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always had a problem with the Government mandating that vehicles get "X" MPG until Year A, "Y" MPG until Year B, and "Z" MPG after that. Might as well be riding bicycles or taking the bus, because manufacturers will have issues meeting that requirement.

Besides, if they were so worried about saving fuels and cleaner air, why did they abolish the Federal speed limit of 55? You'd think if they were that serious about it, they would have kept the 55 limit, or even lowered it. Instead, they keep adding hoses, pipes & nanny sensors to the engines, all the while claiming that it's good for the planet.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
...and sell cars that no one wants to buy, such as 800CC twin turbo micro cars that weight 1200 pounds and could comfortably fit 4 small children only.

I dunno about that. If Honda wised up and started offering their S660 in the USA, I'd buy one. A lot of people would, I'm sure.

Let's also get rid of recycle bins as separate items from trash. How about lead in gas? I'm all in...
wink.gif

I think its great. Unrealistic emission standards have ruined modern diesel engines and are on their way to doing the same to gas powered engines.

Im not ok with the govt mandating changes that force me to buy a more expensive, less reliable car with little to no real world gain.

Push for alternate fuels, punish corporations that pollute, give incentive to buy green. The vast majority of pollutants come from the developing world...lets get them on board. Don't FORCE the consumer to buy something they don't want.

Pretty sure we would not still use carbs on engines. There are distinct advantages to computer controlled engines. Heavy diesels are the best example. They left mechanical injection and went to computer controlled long before any emissions control stuff came about and any major talk of gooberment intrusion into diesels. The same probably would have happened with gasoline autos. Carbs would have been ditched for computer controlled injection. Maybe not DI, but no way to know.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
I own a TGDI platform and it gets 45mpg..it also needs an oci every 2k and it will be fortunate to last 125k the way it fouls the lubricant system...seems counter productive.

I think you should finally sell the thing and **** about it. I am pretty sure you are pushing 1000+ postings about your fuel dilution in the various forums, not to mention you probably made the problem worse yourself.

5/0W-20 oils will be around for a very long time, and I bet your Civic will be around longer than you think.

Originally Posted By: Donald
We still would be on carburetors if there wasn't a push for better fuel economy.

We all should want clean water and air, at least for our kids and grandkids.

agree.
auto industry would not on their own ever raised gas mileage unless pushed by the feds. no state could do it (cept maybe cali.

Last edited:
"Moving forcefully against Obma-era environmental rules, President Donald Trump is set to announce in Michigan plans to re-examine federal requirements that regulate the fuel efficiency of new cars and trucks."

Thank God. Do you really want V8s outlawed for no good reason?

Originally Posted By: kjbock
I own a TGDI platform and it gets 45mpg..it also needs an oci every 2k and it will be fortunate to last 125k the way it fouls the lubricant system...seems counter productive.

I think you should finally sell the thing and **** about it. I am pretty sure you are pushing 1000+ postings about your fuel dilution in the various forums, not to mention you probably made the problem worse yourself.

5/0W-20 oils will be around for a very long time, and I bet your Civic will be around longer than you think.

Harsh. He has a legitimate concern. You can ignore his posts if you wish.

Originally Posted By: Danh

Agree. Don't see the need for that type of response.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
We still would be on carburetors if there wasn't a push for better fuel economy.

agree.
auto industry would not on their own ever raised gas mileage unless pushed by the feds. no state could do it (cept maybe cali.

Not true.
In the eighties, in the early days of CAFE, actual fuel economy for the delivered fleet increased at a higher rate than federal regulations required. Guess what the highest volume vehicle was? Hint; it was a RWD 4 cyl and wasn't a pickup or SUV. Problem is that many buyers are currently drunk on cheap fuel, so they buy thirsty vehicles as daily drivers. For now this may well make sense and it may make economic sense for the lives of the vehicles they are making the payments on.
Conservation always matters. Fuel economy standards coupled with CAFE penalties are a way of helping to avoid people buying oversized thirsty vehicles as an ego supplement and not because they have any real need for them.
The current era of cheap fuel has brought us to a new era of overpriced and overweight vehicles sold as commuters and family haulers.
But people should be allowed to buy what they want!
Sure, except that there are many externalities involved. Your choice affects me and every other driver.

Originally Posted By: Danh

Yes, yes, I know a little harsh. But it is really hard to ignore his posts, when they are in practically every thread. Same thing over and over and over. I would be concerned as well, but I think there are better ways to go about dealing with the issue.

I agree with pretty much everything expressed in this thread. I have serious doubts the thinner & thinner viscosity oils being pushed on us are worth whatever fuel savings at the expense of reduced engine longevity (perhaps not in all cases, but little question a significant number). I'll add that hybrid & electric technology holds great promise (not being oblivious to the energy used & pollution generated obtaining/processing/refining/engineering the raw materials required) - the Chevy VOLT is a really nice ride! Turbo's appeal to me, but most can't be bothered with the slightest inconvenience necessary to keep them alive. I'll further assert that possibly the biggest problem is our own bad habits in general (look at all the overflowing garbage cans on any given street), because while there's little to be done about other countries' environmentally adverse practices, we AMERICANS should be stridently setting the standard - I challenge anyone reading this to deny witnessing plenty of unquestionable stupidity (automotive & otherwise) that needs curtailing. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally anti-Obamma/Clinton & the like with their propensity for communist overbearance, but must agree that we all (except for liberal hypocrites of course) need to do our part - even ignorance of proper tire inflation is a problem (far from the only problem however)...if I had a dollar for every tire I've seen with 18psi or less in it! Here's hoping VW rebounds from the TDI scandal soon - oil burners seem so sensible & they don't lack for power...gas powered semi trucks vanished in the 70's & now TDI tuners are getting 400+ ft lbs of torque out of a 2.0L engine while enjoying 50mpg. Sorry for the rant.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
"Moving forcefully against Obma-era environmental rules, President Donald Trump is set to announce in Michigan plans to re-examine federal requirements that regulate the fuel efficiency of new cars and trucks."

Thank God. Do you really want V8s outlawed for no good reason?

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Hellbird

I agree. But personal responsibility "trumps" government mandates any day of the week. There must be a balance between realistic future MPG projections & the technology ($$) required to do so. The motoring public's due diligence in regards to vehicle maintenance, littering, dumping used oil in the creek, etc......is a factor that can have a greater impact on a cleaner environment than any Gov mandate. Nothing wrong with moving in a "cleaner" direction but when the manufacturers have to resort to over complicated start/stop systems & the like, i think more discussion is warranted.

I work on cars for a living, i see what the majority of people are willing to spend their money on & its not tune ups & maintenance usually. If all my customers were as aware as the folks on this forum my job would be gravy!

I detest engine start/stop. Had it on a couple of rental vehicles (week and a half each while on vacation). There is no way I would buy a car with that feature, unless it could be permanently disabled. And, I wonder what's the point, when I see so many large SUVs and crew cab pickups on the road, usually with only the driver in them. I don't care what other people drive, but some of the features new cars are using to get a couple more mpgs just seems overkill, in the context of the overall national fleet.

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
Originally Posted By: Hellbird

I agree. But personal responsibility "trumps" government mandates any day of the week. There must be a balance between realistic future MPG projections & the technology ($$) required to do so. The motoring public's due diligence in regards to vehicle maintenance, littering, dumping used oil in the creek, etc......is a factor that can have a greater impact on a cleaner environment than any Gov mandate. Nothing wrong with moving in a "cleaner" direction but when the manufacturers have to resort to over complicated start/stop systems & the like, i think more discussion is warranted.

I work on cars for a living, i see what the majority of people are willing to spend their money on & its not tune ups & maintenance usually. If all my customers were as aware as the folks on this forum my job would be gravy!

I detest engine start/stop. Had it on a couple of rental vehicles (week and a half each while on vacation). There is no way I would buy a car with that feature, unless it could be permanently disabled. And, I wonder what's the point, when I see so many large SUVs and crew cab pickups on the road, usually with only the driver in them. I don't care what other people drive, but some of the features new cars are using to get a couple more mpgs just seems overkill, in the context of the overall national fleet.

What is the problem with start/stop? If the battery & starter are designed to take the abuse, why would it be a problem? Too slow to restart?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back