Good states to setup life

IMO California citizens are like frogs being boiled. Because the heat has been slowly turned up on them, they don't know how hot the water is until they leave the state. I'd love to move back too for the weather and family, but won't because of the cost, politics and taxes.
That's a really good analogy.

I left TX in 2004 and have not been back except to visit.

-Property taxes are insane
-I don't want to have to learn Spanish or be inconvenienced
-Property crime is insane (theft, identity, property, etc)
-It's not as pro-2A as people like to pretend.

What city in Texas were you living in ?

Access to highways. I dislike piddling around for an hour to hit an interstate.

Lot size, proximity to neighbors, hospitals, stores, the usual.

Can the locals drive when the weather gets inclement?

How off the grid do you want to be? the further you are from it all, the more you need a generator, gas cans, firewood, etc.

1. I'd be careful with this. Criminals love them some quick access back to the interstate also when retreating to the quaint, quite suburbs that think they are "too far away from that mess." I see it everyday with crimes along the I-85 corridor south of Atlanta....

2. 100% agree.

3. Ohh, you mean the transplanted "locals" that moved here from up north and can't drive in 1/2" of snow? Because Atlanta is about 80% northern transplants and the 20% that ain't aren't the ones causing the traffic problems, whether it's dry, wet or frozen....

4. There's plenty of power problems in the city, suburbs, etc. You're most likely NOT to have severe utility issues in rural areas. Less people, less stress. But yes, it does happen. The good thing is you can run your 7kw portable generator and there's no Gladys Kravitz neighbor writing an email to the HOA about you.

Some know that my grandmother recently died. I was taking care of her. I now have the ability to move anywhere. I have lived in ny most of my life. I enjoy freedom. I want to have low taxes and politicians that are pro gun. Warm climates are nice but I’m not opposed to cold either. I want to know where would you live and why or why do you enjoy where you currently live? What are some things i should be looking for when looking for a new place to live!
Sounds like Missouri fits you like a glove!

1. I'd be careful with this. Criminals love them some quick access back to the interstate also when retreating to the quaint, quite suburbs that think they are "too far away from that mess." I see it everyday with crimes along the I-85 corridor south of Atlanta....

2. 100% agree.

3. Ohh, you mean the transplanted "locals" that moved here from up north and can't drive in 1/2" of snow? Because Atlanta is about 80% northern transplants and the 20% that ain't aren't the ones causing the traffic problems, whether it's dry, wet or frozen....

4. There's plenty of power problems in the city, suburbs, etc. You're most likely NOT to have severe utility issues in rural areas. Less people, less stress. But yes, it does happen. The good thing is you can run your 7kw portable generator and there's no Gladys Kravitz neighbor writing an email to the HOA about you.
1. Never had an issue with it. I’ve heard of it, just not experienced it. Then again, the suburbs I live in now are like 2 to 5 acre min sizes. Too far to drive from a decent city, and the locals keep to petty crimes it seems.

4. I’ve been lucky but when an ice storm can take out poles for miles… it can be weeks. Friends a few miles away have long used generators as it was very common for power to go out.

1. Never had an issue with it. I’ve heard of it, just not experienced it. Then again, the suburbs I live in now are like 2 to 5 acre min sizes. Too far to drive from a decent city, and the locals keep to petty crimes it seems.

How close do you live to a city of 1 million people or more? The area I'm talking about is ~40 miles away from Atlanta. You need to get 3-5 miles away from the interstate to get into the 2-5 acre lots. I'm 14+ miles from the interstate and we are on about the smallest tract of land around us, 10 acres. No, we do not have any such problem with the roaches coming around our area. But the areas closer to the interstate, which you sounded like you'd suggest, do.

How close do you live to a city of 1 million people or more?
I’m not sure. Quick look shows Boston has less than 700k? should I include suburbs? good hour to get to the outskirts of Boston area. I’m not sure what in New England proper is in that size.

Manchester is over 100k, call it 3x if you want to include the burbs. That’s half hour, maybe?

Anyhow, I see your point, but when I lived over an hour from an interstate, it sure felt like a long drive to get anywhere. Not only that but my career choices were quite limited, in my field of choice. Had I gone into the trades I would have been much better off.

Anyhow, I see your point, but when I lived over an hour from an interstate, it sure felt like a long drive to get anywhere. Not only that but my career choices were quite limited, in my field of choice. Had I gone into the trades I would have been much better off.

Thank you.

You are 100% spot on about the rest of that paragraph as well.... ESPECIALLY the Trades.

Sounds like you've realized there's a fine line of where to live in relation to a large city and it's economic impact and your financial security. I don't disagree with you. I moved from a poorly-performing small city when I was 23 to a small town, while on an interstate highway, it was more than an hour from any economically robust area. I wasn't well-educated on many economic factors, business, etc., spent 11 years there and I feel it severely impacted my financial well-being, my career advancement and other things. I moved away, hesitant at the time, to the Atlanta area. Within 5 years, I had doubled my salary, and have more than tripled it in 15.

I am in somewhat of a trades-based field, but I wish I had been exposed to more of the trades and such early on and shown that it's not just a bucket of ne'er do-wells, but highly skilled, well-paid people.

Some know that my grandmother recently died. I was taking care of her. I now have the ability to move anywhere. I have lived in ny most of my life. I enjoy freedom. I want to have low taxes and politicians that are pro gun. Warm climates are nice but I’m not opposed to cold either. I want to know where would you live and why or why do you enjoy where you currently live? What are some things i should be looking for when looking for a new place to live!
Everywhere is pro-gun nowadays, even CA, despite what the myths are in folklore. If you want pro-whack-someone-and-get-away you may choose Florida or Texas. But why would you even consider that as a criterion.

Low taxes are a different matter but you need to remember that with low taxes come low services that you end up paying one way or another.

There is no free lunch.

I am in somewhat of a trades-based field, but I wish I had been exposed to more of the trades and such early on and shown that it's not just a bucket of ne'er do-wells, but highly skilled, well-paid people.
Yep, I think I might have chosen poorly in the scheme of things. All the good jobs are to my south, down in Mass, for electrical engineering. It peters out real quick as I head into the sticks, into the quiet areas where I prefer to live. After 20 years I finally maxed out my career and if it wasn't stagnate before, it will be going forward, which I'm ok with, I'm hoping it'll cut my hours back, albeit with an income cap going forward.

Not sure how it would have worked out had I gone into the trades. Maybe it would have been the same, who knows. I sure would have missed my engineering classes, I loved the theoretical stuff back then. Right now I'm toying with brushing up my skills, maybe get my masters on the side.

TX, FL, TN.
Take your pick.
Focus your job search in those states.
Wherever you get the job, go there, rent an apartments and test it out.
At any rate, even after you find something, you need to keep looking.

Back