Good states to setup life

Some know that my grandmother recently died. I was taking care of her. I now have the ability to move anywhere. I have lived in ny most of my life. I enjoy freedom. I want to have low taxes and politicians that are pro gun. Warm climates are nice but I’m not opposed to cold either. I want to know where would you live and why or why do you enjoy where you currently live? What are some things i should be looking for when looking for a new place to live!

Look into Tennessee. No income tax, good climate. Only drawback is some markets have gone bonkers due to CA residents moving in and driving up real estate prices. For the most part my impression is any of the types of states you are looking for AND that have a mild climate might be spendy due to the recent influx of others moving there...for obvious and understandable reasons.

Access to highways. I dislike piddling around for an hour to hit an interstate.

Lot size, proximity to neighbors, hospitals, stores, the usual.

Can the locals drive when the weather gets inclement?

How off the grid do you want to be? the further you are from it all, the more you need a generator, gas cans, firewood, etc.

TN is where I own property and where I plan on retiring. I currently live in FL, and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. However, FL is not what it used to be, and while I back up to the Everglades, where they will never build, they've built everywhere else around me. Traffic is annoying, and property taxes are extreme. But FL is freedom. I have a modest shooting range in my backyard!

No worries about heating costs here. And for the record, AC uses far less power than heat. As it's doing much less work. I only have to cool the house 10 or 20 degrees. 2500 sq ft house, elec bill 100-300 depending on season.

Jobs are hit or miss in TN. I'd need to retire prior to moving there. But TN has 10% sales tax. That's tough to take. I do have some concern TN will turn in the future. Memphis, Knash-ville and Knocks-ville, and Chat a nooga are full of blues, and will drive the state's color eventually. We've seen a lot of cities becoming the driving force behind a state lately. Land owners get no voice.

U4cpYyT.jpg

Last edited:
Some know that my grandmother recently died. I was taking care of her. I now have the ability to move anywhere. I have lived in ny most of my life. I enjoy freedom. I want to have low taxes and politicians that are pro gun. Warm climates are nice but I’m not opposed to cold either. I want to know where would you live and why or why do you enjoy where you currently live? What are some things i should be looking for when looking for a new place to live!
I wanted similar, and moved to Missouri. If I did not need to work anymore, I would have considered Alaska, Montana, and Idaho.

Other things I liked at:

North Carolina---poor economy and too close to the E Coast
TN---Same as NC
Florida---I would want Everglades property, and didn't see any anywhere near affordable

So I settled here in MO.

1600sf newer (2005) good condition home with modern infrastructure (I have a panel in my garage that supports 40 amp charging for my EV, etc), 13 acres on the river, high speed internet, whole shebang for less than 300K.

Last edited:
I have a degree in mechanical engineering but no job currently

The midwest may have a good job market for you, then. Also reasonable house prices, too. In particular, the Pittsburgh area is among the cheapest cost of living in the whole country. Western PA and northeastern Ohio especially, but the midwest as a whole isn't the most expensive.

I found this comment on a news article somewhere, that may be helpful:
New York has too much competition, even for entry level jobs.
Florida lacks jobs that pay an adult salary

Joe, Please accept my sympathies for the loss of your Grandmother. I am not sure how old you are, but both sets of my Grandparents had passed by the time I was 18 so if you are older than that, consider yourself lucky.

Before you decide on a particular state I think you have to ask yourself how long will you live there.....for example from working age and well into retirement. Look at the economy of any proposed state and then look at the effective tax rate. Some states have no state income tax (Texas, Nevada, Tennessee), but the effective tax rate may be higher when you add in property, and sales taxes. CA does seem to have lock on the weather, but the effective tax rate is also pretty high, but maybe you are use to that as I guess the same can be said about NY.

Besides employment and the economy, look at what diversions or hobbies interest you. Is there a state geography that might cater to those above any others? My son loves to hike, and loves the mountains, and he is currently looking at moving into the Appalachia region. He currently lives here in the midwest, and has lived in New Mexico, but now he has a desire to move somewhere where life seems to be simpler and slower. He is computer science engineer, so he can find work most anywhere depending on the company / industry he wants to work in.

Lastly take some time to decide. Visit the prospective places....heck even rent a place there for an extended period if you can before deciding for sure. Just my two cents. Good Luck.

You really need to come up with a list of must have's and then go for an extended visit. Things aren't always what they seem.

Here in SC we are reasonably free, however we have a fairly high income tax and sales tax, and our 2nd amendment rights aren't all that great. No constitutional carry, no open carry, no plans on getting them. One party rule for too long has ensured its corrupt. Having said that there are no shortages of jobs.

I moved to KY from Colorado about 5 years ago and don't regret it one bit. Couldn't afford to buy a decent sized house there-- I have four kids and need some room. I was too late to the party when home/land values started skyrocketing. I have lots of family/friends there that can't wait to leave; it's becoming the next California.

So it's a sense of what you value most. In KY, I found a 2000sf house built in 2007 on 2 acres for under 200K. I'd be renting till the day I died if I still lived in CO. I like the slower pace here, and jobs are abundant. Pay ended up being far better here, I attribute that partially to fewer non-English speakers to compete with when it comes to blue-collar jobs. Ford is building a battery factory about 25 mins from me that will employ 5K people. Nucor steel mill just came online in the town down the road from me in the last year or two. Economic prospects look great.

Things I miss about Colorado: 300+ days of sunshine each year, and no humidity. Also I miss all the public land that was available, where you could just drive out to the mountains and go shooting, 4-wheeling, hunting, etc. And every Christmas I miss my family tradition of getting a tree permit from the forest service and cutting our own Christmas tree from out in the wilderness.

Things I don't like about KY: 2-3 months of gloomy winter that's not really all that cold, just BLAH weather. And the two months in the dog days of summer where it stays 85+ with too much humidity. And the lack of public land that makes it difficult to hunt unless you know somebody with a chunk of land or want to join the huge crowd that goes to the state parks, or play the lottery to hunt on federal land.

Back