What's the safest way to invest huge lottery win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: morris
heres my idea. THE FIRST thing to do is go to the other side of town rent a apartment under a different name. open 2 or 3 saving accounts at a reg bank. then open 1-2 accounts at an investment firms like edward jones.

Nah its easy to operate and if your name isn't in the paper even totally hide the fact that you won. All you need to do is put the money in a trust and don't put your name on the trust. Than use the trust to buy and sell stuff and pay you. People with assets never have anything in their names, its all tied up in companies or trusts.

Even your house you could put it in an LLC with other properties and have the mailing address be a PO box or your attorney's office or whatever. That way even if someone tries to look up your address in the city property records they won't find it.

If you come into that kind of money you want to get everything out of your name.

You don't want to put that kind of money in a regular bank in your name, the bank will come to you and want to invest it and that can be a bad thing.

Actually, you name would be in the paper no matter what you did (unless you changed your name). The "BIG WINNER IS..." is big news and the results of the lottery are public records-the tax man comith. Publishing the name is good advertisement for the lottery as well. They WANT the winner's name and photo to be all over the place.

Hiding out helps until things cool off and a second unlisted phone number works, at least for a while. (an answering machine on the number in the phone book-and the ringer turned off).

This is too complicated. I hope I never win a big lottery. I don't want to have any of these problems :) But since I never buy a lottery ticket, I have nothing to worry about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back