golf sportwagen vs alltrack

I think I'm going to look at an Alltrack soon. It's a taller Sportwagon, right?

Any weak spots? Does the drivetrain need extra attention?

Same MK7 Golf, AT is slightly taller through mainly taller tires but suspension is some of it. Weak spots are pano sunroof and water pump. Very solid vehicles and easy to maintain. DSG trans if you get it requires fluid change at 40K intervals and rear Haldex awd diff on about the same schedule.

Thanks! That info is very useful.

How bad would it be for a car to have missed those services? Cars that I'm looking at have about 65-75K miles.

Have a 2017 All Track with just over 55,000 miles. Never in for any warranty work. Runs like a top and is a real pleasure to drive. On snowy or muddy roads, it gives EXCELLENT traction. I would buy another if they still sold them here.

like the sporty looks of the sportwagen if i were in the market + they were still available, manual tranny of course + prolly AWD!! prolly done buying @ 75 YO + drive minimally as needed. todays over techy vehicles are NOT for me!!! unless an unfortunate happens i am good to go until i go!! hopefully NOT soon!!

How bad would it be for a car to have missed those services? Cars that I'm looking at have about 65-75K miles.
I don't think it's a show stopper. DSG more concerning than Haldex.

Haldex is a timed event not mileage…..Dealers couple it to 10k/year however we do 30k/year so we follow a 3ish year schedule on it.

Not big deal. If get it change all fluids including cleaning Haldex screen. Numerous videos. Change DSG fluid immediately.
Do this regardless of service records.
Also, when (not if) water pump starts losing coolant, it is cracked pump. Replace with aluminum one unless VW honors warranty regardless of mileage, which sometimes they do.

Haldex is a timed event not mileage…..Dealers couple it to 10k/year however we do 30k/year so we follow a 3ish year schedule on it.
2017s were 30K miles in the manual. 2018 changed to timed...first at 3 years then every 2 after same as brake fluid. Also, dealers won't clean the pump screen as part of their service...it's an easy DIY.

like the sporty looks of the sportwagen if i were in the market + they were still available, manual tranny of course + prolly AWD!! prolly done buying @ 75 YO + drive minimally as needed. todays over techy vehicles are NOT for me!!! unless an unfortunate happens i am good to go until i go!! hopefully NOT soon!!
Me too ;)

The base GSW S w/4Motion (only trim of GSW in U.S. that came with awd option) is an incredible value and very basic but still has plenty of features.
20231108_170217.jpg

VW is covering water pumps for 8 years/80K now.

Back