Going To The Dark Side

I currently own a Samsung Galaxy A02S smartphone (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_A02s).
It's not a bad phone, but it's nothing spectacular either.
The only problem is the memory. Currently it has 18.3 GB used out of 32. I'm always having to "clean it out" when it gets to/or over 20 GB. I know l can add an SD card to give it more memory but am not sure what size card to add. That and l'm a NOOB to doing this.
So, my son was telling me that l should buy an iPhone XR phone with 64 GB of storage.
(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_XR)
I have never owned an iPhone. It's always been Android phones for me. I find Android phones very easy to use.
Has anyone here ever gone to an iPhone not ever using one before, from using an Android? Are iPhone easier/harder to use than an Android?
I have been looking around on the interweb and find that factory refurbished iPhone are about 60% cheaper than new. If l do decide to get an iPhone it would be this route. A few of my friends have factory refurbished iPhone and they really like them. They look brand new as well.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Or you get an android phone with 64 or more GB of memory?

SD cards can't hold apps, but you can store pictures, movies and music on them, keeping built in memory for apps.

My report just shows that only Safari contacted this domain, doesn’t say anything about blocking it. How did you get Safari to block it?

It was already set up under Settings>Safari> then scroll down to Privacy and Security.

Here are my settings:

Prevent cross site tracking —- ON.
Hide IP address —- Trackers and Websites.
Block All Cookies —- Off.
Fraudulent Website Warning —- On.
Privacy Preserving Ad Measurement—- On.
Check for Apple Pay —- On.

I was mainly talking about my iPhone, but what you showed me was available in browsers like Firefox, opera etc. for years now. I’m surprised you just discovered these thing with Safari.

What I showed you was how much google analytics and data gathering domains are being contacted by my iPhone. You always claim how google is selling your data to the highest bidder and that’s why you went apple, but that is simply not true. Google still collects lots of data from your apple devices.
I dont think you understand and I guess I am not good enough to explain it to you. (most likely my fault) This is all about phones, as is this thread.
1. (use of apps on your phone)
This is the very, very, tip of the ICEBERG one of thousands of companies as I posted and its to involved to go back and forth in a forum except to say Android doesnt do this for you. I mean how much more can I say, this is one of the worlds biggest companies saying it and last I knew, billions of people use apps on their phones.

2. (using your phones web browser, most people use the default)
No sense in me going any further, right off my phone which again I posted only updated 1 day later.
Firefox and Opera can help you here, gee, but no one uses it. What do they command 6% of the market?
This is after only two days using the default Apple Browser and you are incorrect in posting about other browsers, it hasn't been years by default and by default it doesnt hide your IP address and last but not least, Joe Public is clueless about this stuff and doesnt even have to think about it with Apple devices as Apple builds products based on privacy (compared to Android, yes of course, Android is slowly getting better because of who? Apple competition).
Here is an example (again of #2) for the last 2 days, the system will keep records for 30 but when you delete your cookies it jsut counts previous days as 0.
(im just posting this for others reading, I really cant explain anymore or care too, doesnt matter to me that much, to each their own)

5FF36AAE-A434-4A42-9CFE-CAF3B4E3D739_1_102_o.jpeg

Last edited:
What is the resale value of an Android vs an iPhone?
Well, there's probably 17,983 Android models in existence vs ~40 or so iPhone models (and with neither am I factoring in different storage options). Which ones do you want to compare ?

Here are my settings:

Thanks for that, it was very helpful 👍

The only difference in my settings is that the hide IP address option only shows Trackers.
After some reading on it, the Website option is only available to iCloud+ subscribers. So I have to pay apple to block the website tracking. 😕

@alarmguy i would not put much credit into what Facebook and its CEO say. Their Meta universe is a huge flop, but they went all in on it, so they are most likely looking to blame something else.

I get you like apple, but their privacy, while better than android, is not that much better. You make it seem as if apple was fighting for their customers, but they mine the data just like every one else, they just use it differently for now at least.

Here are my settings:

The “Privacy Preserving Ad Measurement” one is kind of misleading, and enabled by default. When on it will send “[A]ttribution reports [to advertisers] with limited data in a dedicated Private Browsing mode without any cookies, delaying reports randomly between 24 and 48 hours to disassociate events in time, and handling data on-device.”

With it off, it won’t send any reports.

The “Privacy Preserving Ad Measurement” one is kind of misleading, and enabled by default. When on it will send “[A]ttribution reports [to advertisers] with limited data in a dedicated Private Browsing mode without any cookies, delaying reports randomly between 24 and 48 hours to disassociate events in time, and handling data on-device.”

With it off, it won’t send any reports.

I wasn’t aware of that. Thanks. Maybe I should turn it off?

Ironically, after posting my comment, my wife lost her iPhone. I just took advantage of the same day delivery.

How did they do it? I've researched this stuff, and for some purchases, Apple has a courier transport them from stores, and one needs to pick which store. I'd think it's actually costing them way more than their incremental charge for the service. By the same token, my wife has been buying stuff online from various department stores. I would have thought that they came from warehouses, but they have return addresses matching stores around the country. Seems rather wasteful, but it's kind of hard to pass up when there's complimentary shipping.

@alarmguy i would not put much credit into what Facebook and its CEO say. Their Meta universe is a huge flop, but they went all in on it, so they are most likely looking to blame something else.

I get you like apple, but their privacy, while better than android, is not that much better. You make it seem as if apple was fighting for their customers, but they mine the data just like every one else, they just use it differently for now at least.
Come on already. The company is admitting to a $10 billion loss, repeat $10 billion loss because of Apple.
You’re really throwing foolish conspiracy theories out there for hundreds of companies losing money because of Apple’s privacy controls.
You keep throwing this back on me and it has nothing to do with me.

my wife has been buying stuff online from various department stores. I would have thought that they came from warehouses, but they have return addresses matching stores around the country. Seems rather wasteful, but it's kind of hard to pass up when there's complimentary shipping.
Varies by company. Most are going to ship from warehouse/distribution centers but some ship from stores. I think Macy's tends to ship from stores, for example. It likely comes down to where it's in stock relative to where you live.

Come on already. The company is admitting to a $10 billion loss, repeat $10 billion loss because of Apple.
You’re really throwing foolish conspiracy theories out there for hundreds of companies losing money because of Apple’s privacy controls.
You keep throwing this back on me and it has nothing to do with me.

It’s because you are parroting apple privacy as some sort of holy grail, when it is clear they track as much data as android. The difference is who they share this data with.
I showed you how safari still contacts google tracking sites. So where is that privacy of yours?

And it looks like apple may be locking everyone out because they want to focus on advertising as well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...inging-ads-to-maps-tv-and-books-apps-l6tdqqmg

How did they do it? I've researched this stuff, and for some purchases, Apple has a courier transport them from stores, and one needs to pick which store. I'd think it's actually costing them way more than their incremental charge for the service. By the same token, my wife has been buying stuff online from various department stores. I would have thought that they came from warehouses, but they have return addresses matching stores around the country. Seems rather wasteful, but it's kind of hard to pass up when there's complimentary shipping.

It’s a great service especially if you lose or damage your iPhone and need a replacement right away. With iCloud all your stuff is backed up and easily transferred to the new device.

When I bought my iPhone 11 I ordered it early in the morning and it was delivered to the house around 1400 that same day.

It’s because you are parroting apple privacy as some sort of holy grail, when it is clear they track as much data as android. The difference is who they share this data with.

And it looks like apple may be locking everyone out because they want to focus on advertising as well.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...inging-ads-to-maps-tv-and-books-apps-l6tdqqmg
You are mistaken and silly to deny that Apple phones look to protect your privacy way more than Android phones.
Your android phone is like Swiss cheese when it comes to privacy, full of holes.

It’s not even worth a conversation

Last edited:
Back