Going to buy a $5k Car......questions.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: css9450
A Crown Victoria will do everything you need of it and more.

That sounds a awesome idea to me!

You might actually find a nice late model one driver well maintained take home CVPI for 5K bucks or less.

Keep in mind it's for his 16 year old daughter. I don't know too many 16 year olds that would want to drive a Crown Vic. They want something smaller and/or sportier, plus the gas mileage of the Crown Vic would turn them right off too.

I am very bias towards the Honda Civic since we own 7 of them in our family and they are great cars for the money. You can find a 2004 - 2005 Civic coupe for around $5000 on Craigslist.

Bustednutz,
Our old 1998 Civic EX we gave to my nephew as a high school graduation present back in 2007 now has 247K miles and is still running very strong. Besides a cracked exhaust manifold and bad oxygen sensor, the car has only gotten regular maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Patman

Keep in mind it's for his 16 year old daughter. I don't know too many 16 year olds that would want to drive a Crown Vic. They want something smaller and/or sportier, plus the gas mileage of the Crown Vic would turn them right off too.

Smaller and sportier? Try cuter. The cuteness of a car carries more weight than any other consideration for girls in this age group.

And "cute" would definitely knock a Crown Vic out of the running, haha.

A Jetta or Bug will definitely have cute points and will be an okay choice, as long as school is close to home and you have some sort of roadside assistance. I would not trust a used Jetta or Bug as a college car. It will be much more of a pain in the rear if it decides to break down 100 miles from home.

I know lots of girls who got VWs in high school for the cute factor, then got REALLY tired of the car when it started to break down routinely in college.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz

I bought my 07' Mazda 3 brand new. Never once have I ever had it in the dealership for anything at all. 40K miles and still silky smooth and everything works.

Count yourself lucky. I used to be a huge fan of these cars, but I'm less of a fan now that the 3s in my family have some miles on them.

My sister was the first family member to get a 3. She picked up a brand new 2006 2.0 model. Overall, her's has probably held up best. It has to be pushing 80K or 90K miles by now and is still a trustworthy car, but it hasn't been without problems. This one has lots of weird quirks. The clock resets itself at random, once while pulling out into the road it just shut off completely (no electrical power or anything), and the A/C has always been very weak. The car has done well considering the conditions in VT though. Sis doesn't think she will buy another, as the only Mazda dealer remotely close to her shut down a couple years ago.

My mom got a 2008 3 2.0 because she liked driving my sister's car. The '08 has not been so trouble free. The first year or two it was great, then quality issues began appearing. Seat belts are frayed already, which is completely unacceptable on such a new car that sees pretty gentle use. The seat fabric also shows wear, along with the super cheap carpet. My truck is 6 years older, with 3X as many miles, and way more abuse, and its interior looks newer than my mom's 3. The car also has annoying electrical gremlins with the radio and clock, and recurring power steering problems that were not fixed by the recall repair (performed twice on this car now). The car has been maintained by the book at an indy Japanese car shop because my mom doesn't trust the Mazda dealer at all. She says she won't buy another.

Not horrible cars, but they aren't the perfect Japanese small car that I once thought they were.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I bought my 07' Mazda 3 brand new. Never once have I ever had it in the dealership for anything at all. 40K miles and still silky smooth and everything works.

Count yourself lucky. I used to be a huge fan of these cars, but I'm less of a fan now that the 3s in my family have some miles on them.

My sister was the first family member to get a 3. She picked up a brand new 2006 2.0 model. Overall, her's has probably held up best. It has to be pushing 80K or 90K miles by now and is still a trustworthy car, but it hasn't been without problems. This one has lots of weird quirks. The clock resets itself at random, once while pulling out into the road it just shut off completely (no electrical power or anything), and the A/C has always been very weak. The car has done well considering the conditions in VT though. Sis doesn't think she will buy another, as the only Mazda dealer remotely close to her shut down a couple years ago.

My mom got a 2008 3 2.0 because she liked driving my sister's car. The '08 has not been so trouble free. The first year or two it was great, then quality issues began appearing. Seat belts are frayed already, which is completely unacceptable on such a new car that sees pretty gentle use. The seat fabric also shows wear, along with the super cheap carpet. My truck is 6 years older, with 3X as many miles, and way more abuse, and its interior looks newer than my mom's 3. The car also has annoying electrical gremlins with the radio and clock, and recurring power steering problems that were not fixed by the recall repair (performed twice on this car now). The car has been maintained by the book at an indy Japanese car shop because my mom doesn't trust the Mazda dealer at all. She says she won't buy another.

Not horrible cars, but they aren't the perfect Japanese small car that I once thought they were.

Thats too bad about your familys experience with the car. Mine is a 2.3L Sport. No electrical gremlins or anything. I do have to agree that the interior materials are inferior to other makes out there.
The engines are silky smooth and he transmissions shift fantastic. Mine is a 5sp Automatic. The resale value on these is excellent as well.
Most of the reviews at edmunds and other consumer sites give them excellent reviews. But yes, there are going to be a few bad ones in the bunch. Maybe yours were on the "cougar Ace". Look that up and you'll see what I'm talking about.
As for the OP.......I still say to stay away from the VW products. Very picky and finiky car. They still carry a certain cult status with them as well, and I know that die hard VW fans will disagree.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

Thats too bad about your familys experience with the car. Mine is a 2.3L Sport. No electrical gremlins or anything. I do have to agree that the interior materials are inferior to other makes out there.
The engines are silky smooth and he transmissions shift fantastic. Mine is a 5sp Automatic. The resale value on these is excellent as well.
Most of the reviews at edmunds and other consumer sites give them excellent reviews. But yes, there are going to be a few bad ones in the bunch. Maybe yours were on the "cougar Ace". Look that up and you'll see what I'm talking about.
As for the OP.......I still say to stay away from the VW products. Very picky and finiky car. They still carry a certain cult status with them as well, and I know that die hard VW fans will disagree.

Yeah, mom's car may have been on the Cougar Ace! lol.

I have to say, I do love how the 3s drive. Much more of a driver's car than my dad's Civic Hybrid. They are definitely more fun than most of their competitors.

Well....a decision has been made.

Ended up with a pickup. Mainly because we found such a wonderful deal.

The daughter ended up with a Dodge Dakota. 2nd Gen and a 4.7l v8 and 4x4. It has 91k miles....very, very clean and we snagged it for $5k.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Well....a decision has been made.

Ended up with a pickup. Mainly because we found such a wonderful deal.

The daughter ended up with a Dodge Dakota. 2nd Gen and a 4.7l v8 and 4x4. It has 91k miles....very, very clean and we snagged it for $5k.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Post some pics of the Dak.
I love 2nd gen Dakotas. They are great trucks!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned miata.

Thought, I strongly recommend you NOT to get a $5000 VW unless you're a skilled vw mechanic. You will mostly likely spend another $3-5k on the car during her 2 years of owning that car.

You are absolutely free to buy your daughter whatever she wants...but a V-8 pick-up for college?

Does she really have use for a V-8 truck going to to a college campus?

Even though it's a short drive, a smaller car would save on gas, and be easier to park in a busy parking lot.

Sometimes I just don't get people decisions.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You are absolutely free to buy your daughter whatever she wants...but a V-8 pick-up for college?

Does she really have use for a V-8 truck going to to a college campus?

Even though it's a short drive, a smaller car would save on gas, and be easier to park in a busy parking lot.

Sometimes I just don't get people decisions.....

I moved a couple times in college, and I was 5km away from campus, so a pickup would've been OK most of the time. Summer road trips at 18 mpg would've been expensive I guess.
Sometimes a set of wheels is a set of wheels though, as long as it runs its good enough.

2001 , 2002 Chevy Prizm ? Just a rebadged Corolla with more AC Delco parts ( blower , etc. ). If interested try to find one with the 4 speed auto . To confirm it has overdrive , look for a button on the side of the shifting lever . They have side impact air bags and A.B.S.. Should be able to get 32+ m.p.g. overall . Miss our 2000 Prizm that was rear ended
frown.gif
. That averaged 35 m.p.g. overall for the time we had it .

Last edited:
Worst thing about her owning a truck is that all her friends will want help moving or buying beds/furniture off of craigslist. She might be able to make extra $$ by renting it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back