GM Spending Big Money on EV Production Plants

I just roll my eyes when people say "But you can't go on a road trip in it without stopping to charge it". Yeah Karen, this is for commuter vehicles. Drive your other car for the road trip. Most people have more than 1 car anyways. How often is the average Joe REALLY going on a road trip for it to matter? If you're a special case, then don't buy one.

It takes time for technology to evolve. When ICE cars first came out, they sucked. Slow, unreliable, poor range, etc. but over time look at what we have now. We have to start somewhere.

I'd love an EV for my commute, and when I go out of town I can drive one of my other cars. Free charging at work too. I'm waiting for less ugly and more affordable electric cars.
You read my mind.

Tesla's prime problem will be to achieve the lower ranges from "weaker" cars, not the 10-15h travelling. There won't necessarily be enough of a niche to be conquered when they finally see the truer needs.

Tesla's prime problem will be to achieve the lower ranges from "weaker" cars, not the 10-15h travelling. There won't necessarily be enough of a niche to be conquered when they finally see the truer needs.

Here in America, the interstates are chock full of long distance travelers. People are avoiding the airlines and driving instead.

On another note, I've not had one Tesla pass me on the interstate. It seems that they all go slow on long trips as this helps to maximize range.

I see that we probably have a bit of a language barrier, but "IF" I understand your post, you are talking about quality, affordable EV's being difficult to achieve.

The argument that one can always rent a car for long trips is currently erroneous. With Hertz in bankruptcy and offering very limited hours, I've found that renting a long distance, sufficiently large car out of the NY areas is near impossible lately.

Difficult to achieve for Tesla but less so for older competitors on their new paths. Tesla, as anyone, is limited regarding the resources, subsidies, "pure play" etc. we touched. Even if they focused on more relevant products of tomorrow now they might still be somewhat late to turn the curve before some others will do instead of them. From merely looking at a Bugatti, a Rolls Royce, a Maybach and an Aurus we wouldn't want to foresee which of the manufacturers might dominate these highways you're talking about. Not even on the Autobahn they're relevant. From looking at the current lineup of Tesla, well... better not foresee the distant future of petrol stations.
The car you're currently using for your trips may or may also not dominate these highways a few years from now.

Then of course there'd always be so much more to it, less people may be after spending so much of their lives commuting for example. All sorts of situations therefore and otherwise can and some will change. Even some difficulties and differences across language barriers could be dwindling some time ahead. Any continent can have trains. Just as any country except Germany can have speed limits.

Tesla has no problems; only opportunities. Check out the 20 top companies by revenue. 10 of the 20 are energy or automotive. 9 of the top 11...
Largest Companies by Revenue
Tesla has the best EVs, at least 5 years ahead of anyone; perhaps 10.
The best batteries. Solar Panels. Powerwalls.
Tesla is a tech company that happens to make cars. Their market opportunities are found in those 10 companies.

A year ago naysayers had them bankrupt. Now their balance sheet is one of the best in the automotive industry.
Compare their OE = A - L.

You know about Market Capitalization. Stock is up 400% YTD.
Heck, GM and Ford spend $1B or more on advertising to try and sell cars while Tesla builds factories.
Without advertising, they just had their best quarter blowing away the analysts projections and Q4 will be better.
Germany and Austin come on line next year.

Last edited:
Tesla needs to build up factories and influence, all others need to get rid of factories without losing influence. That's just some differences of problems.
I have absolutely no idea how you could possibly imagine Tesla as owning the future of batteries or whatever. Are you comparing patents? Counting patents? Counting letters in patents? I think you just don't allow yourself to look into anything that you don't immediately want to affirm.
Okay, just like China or Japan or Korea or India or the big three or the Euros and the Krauts or even the Krauts do Brasil this Tesla doesn' t have a Q :) That's a big plus! Puts you and Tesla ahead of much worse staying behind. But that's not exactly in a direction of a ceiling. If anything, that's just not abhorrent to bare civility.

Germany and Austin come on line next year? Come on, that's even less than a presidential Domino Theory, right? You don't want to leave it at that when talking about blühende Landschaften.

Last edited:
Tesla has no problems; only opportunities. Check out the 20 top companies by revenue. 10 of the 20 are energy or automotive. 9 of the top 11...
Largest Companies by Revenue
Tesla has the best EVs, at least 5 years ahead of anyone; perhaps 10.
The best batteries. Solar Panels. Powerwalls.
Tesla is a tech company that happens to make cars. Their market opportunities are found in those 10 companies.

A year ago naysayers had them bankrupt. Now their balance sheet is one of the best in the automotive industry.
Compare their OE = A - L.

You know about Market Capitalization. Stock is up 400% YTD.
Heck, GM and Ford spend $1B or more on advertising to try and sell cars while Tesla builds factories.
Without advertising, they just had their best quarter blowing away the analysts projections and Q4 will be better.
Germany and Austin come on line next year.

All shored up, resting and dependent on OPM and politics- not the product or the market.

Tesla needs to build up factories and influence, all others need to get rid of factories without losing influence. That's just some differences of problems.
I have absolutely no idea how you could possibly imagine Tesla as owning the future of batteries or whatever. Are you comparing patents? Counting patents? Counting letters in patents? I think you just don't allow yourself to look into anything that you don't immediately want to affirm.
Okay, just like China or Japan or Korea or India or the big three or the Euros and the Krauts or even the Krauts do Brasil this Tesla doesn' t have a Q :) That's a big plus! Puts you and Tesla ahead of much worse staying behind. But that's not exactly in a direction of a ceiling. If anything, that's just not abhorrent to bare civility.

Germany and Austin come on line next year? Come on, that's even less than a presidential Domino Theory, right? You don't want to leave it at that when talking about blühende Landschaften.
I try and keep up with experts like Sandy Munro who put Tesla battery technology 5 to 10 years ahead of everyone else.
There are plenty of articles on his thoughts.
Tesla delivers where others have failed. The gorgeous Taycan promised 400 mile range; Porsche delivered half that.
Tesla range superiority points to overall technology in Tesla cars not just the batteries.

Giga Berlin is currently scheduled for summer 2021; Giga Austin is scheduled for late 2021 I believe.

I try and keep up with experts like Sandy Munro who put Tesla battery technology 5 to 10 years ahead of everyone else.
There are plenty of articles on his thoughts.
Tesla delivers where others have failed. The gorgeous Taycan promised 400 mile range; Porsche delivered half that.
Tesla range superiority points to overall technology in Tesla cars not just the batteries.

Giga Berlin is currently scheduled for summer 2021; Giga Austin is scheduled for late 2021 I believe.
Austin already has amazing renewable technology … cooking BBQ with Oak !

What if this Sandy Munro has yet to dismantle the latest batteries in development everywhere around the world? While he recently was fabricating his latest video to comment on the Tesla's gaps (he says it ~5 mins into the clip I guess: https://jalopnik.com/we-took-the-worlds-cheapest-ev-to-a-car-manufacturing-e-1845484056 ) the Chinese were already presenting their next leader as much less eager to destroy the US on behalf of the good chinese people and as much more of a promising ship-guy actually. I think the ship is called Lady May and looks fast and prepared to bring him back as soon as they'll have everything arranged.
What would you say, Sandy Munro might think: Would Mazda appear to be 30 or 40 years ahead of GM in case the little rotary range extender for the MX-30 proofed to be popular in 2022? GM stopped rotary development so long ago... Man, that would be impressive! 30 or 40 years ahead, that would make for quite a lot of Domino Theory.

Last edited:
There are tons of people not driving 200 miles in a day or a week or several weeks.
The charging and range issues needs improvement.
Clearly the market is showing a desire for EV.
So, the market and improving technology will decide. What makes sense for you today may change tomorrow.

The auto industry is built on OPM, government, or investor, often both.
Tesla isnt any different than anyone, but a case could be made that they are less offensive than GM, Ford or Fiat in that regard.

Telsa didn't steal my money and BK like GM did, all while Lutz bloviated about Teslas impending meltdown.

On where their profit comes from I fully get the position on political dependance, but that isnt totally accurate either,
The regulatory credit was about 77% Of Teslas Q3 profit based on analyst and noted Tesla bear John Engles calculations- a LOT to be sure.

In that that the regulatory credit is available to everyone Tesla got there first, so is that a positive or negative? I see it as positive.

When looking at them holistically Its tempting to strip out this or that and recompute, but that could be done with any large company - Pepsi is a loss leader without its snacks, Apple would be diminished without the app store, Amazon a loss maker without its cloud service.....

I'm happy to see an American company at the top of this EV market laying the smack down on global competitors - at the same time Im still angry it isn't GM - because it should have been.

Hopefully GM can sell it outright or offer a subscription on partial use.
MB has thrown in the towel on trying.

Measuring driver attentiveness is a score that tesla loses out on.

As that article says - its not comparing the latest stuff, but is a leap better.

Hopefully GM can sell it outright or offer a subscription on partial use.
MB has thrown in the towel on trying.

Measuring driver attentiveness is a score that tesla loses out on.

As that article says - its not comparing the latest stuff, but is a leap better.
I’m not ready to trust it for a long nap … maybe just a power nap, 🥱

There’s a company like a giant bear ready to wake up in Toyota. I have a feeling it will be game changing what they come up with in the next several years. They are pretty quiet on pure ev so far. Like the Prius there it is suddenly and no one has anything like it. I think that’s how the Prius was even though I read where GM actually was first with the power split transmission in their Allison division. Or at least concurrent with Toyota.

Infrastructure can’t support wholesale conversion and it’s already comical trying to improve those systems on the left coast. Good luck.

Batteries are limited and we can’t fight physics. It’s just not there right now and the future doesn’t look that great either.

Widespread Hybrid systems are far more likely to succeed. Americans like driving and the open road.

Last edited:
Infrastructure can’t support wholesale conversion and it’s already comical trying to improve those systems on the left coast. Good luck.

Batteries are limited and we can’t fight physics. It’s just not there right now and the future doesn’t look that great either.

Widespread Hybrid systems are far more likely to succeed. Americans like driving and the open road.

Yes, there's certainly an allure to a PHEV where you get better range overall and can plug in over night and do all your around town driving on battery. My main gripe about that is that none of them seem to be performance-oriented, whereas with the BEV's, there clearly is.

There’s a company like a giant bear ready to wake up in Toyota. I have a feeling it will be game changing what they come up with in the next several years. They are pretty quiet on pure ev so far. Like the Prius there it is suddenly and no one has anything like it. I think that’s how the Prius was even though I read where GM actually was first with the power split transmission in their Allison division. Or at least concurrent with Toyota.

Toyota is looking beyond automobiles. A lot of things need to be moved and Toyota is embracing mobility for the future.

Back