GM OLM 40% left w/ 6500 miles driven???

Status
Not open for further replies.
G/F G6 GTP 3.6L w/ Mobil dino dealer house oil. She bought it used w/ 15k on it and now has 21500k and 40% left. They did an oil change before she bought it. My plan was to switch it to PP since it goes so long but in the mean time should I let it ride, cause that seems like a lot of miles on dino but everyone says the OLM is darn accurate!

She does 90% HWY probably so thT COULD ACCOUNT FOR IT BUT IT LOOKS AS IF IT WILL BE 9K BETWEEN CHANGES if I let the OLM determine it.

(sry for caps, fingers slipped)

Originally Posted By: GMGuy
Whats wrong with 9k? I wouldn't be concerned with it.

Alex.

because one post you hear anything over 5-6k then you NEED synthetic....

Then in another post you hear that dino can go 8k...

So what is it? This is a HP DOHC VVT motor and I can't believe that it can go 9k safely on house dino oil?

Those monitors seem to be better than I gave them credit for.
I still am not sure of what they measure for each Mfr..
9,000 is not that strange on dino, but I believe it is stretching it, no matter what the monitor says.

My Aura is on track for a 12k OCI according to the OLM. I have been doing a ton of long highway trips, and it seems to have very little effect on the OLM.

Previously it has suggested around 9k OCIs. This is with a 2.4 Ecotec.

I change it around 5-6k but might start running the OLM to 25%

You said it's got "Mobil dino dealer house oil" in it right now. If it's anything like Honda's Mobil house dino, it's similar to Mobil Clean 5k.

The fact that it's mostly hwy miles helps, but 9k seems like a dino stretch to me.
21.gif

It's your call, but if it were me, I wouldn't wait long to get the PP in, and a quality filter on there, and then push the OLM limit.

If it were me I would switch to a high quality synthetic such as PP, Amsoil, or M1 and go by the OLM. 9k on dino isn't going to make for the cleanest engine.

on your next oil change, do a UOA, you'll have your answer the OLM is on target or not!

I follow my OLM in my car and I only change the oil when the DIC is telling me and I am at 110k miles on my 05 right now! I think that if the OLM wasn't on target, I would have a problem by now.

Originally Posted By: Spykem4e
on your next oil change, do a UOA, you'll have your answer the OLM is on target or not!

I follow my OLM in my car and I only change the oil when the DIC is telling me and I am at 110k miles on my 05 right now! I think that if the OLM wasn't on target, I would have a problem by now.

You are also using a high quality synthetic.

IF this was an original owner vehicle and you knew that it had been maintained properly and the oil changed when the OLM said so I wouldn't worry about the conventional oil going the distance. Seening that this is a used car I would do a couple of chort OCI's say 50% of OLM on cheap Conventional just to help flush out any deposits thatthe highway usage may be knocking out of a possibly previous short tripper.

My recomendation, Change the oil now, don't reset the OLM and change it when the OLM says. Then I would run whatever based on your relationship. Is she a good GF? Do you see yourself marrying her? Or having kids? THat would dictate if I just sent her to the lube shop for a regular oil change or did a premium oil change.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
IF this was an original owner vehicle and you knew that it had been maintained properly and the oil changed when the OLM said so I wouldn't worry about the conventional oil going the distance. Seening that this is a used car I would do a couple of chort OCI's say 50% of OLM on cheap Conventional just to help flush out any deposits thatthe highway usage may be knocking out of a possibly previous short tripper.

My recomendation, Change the oil now, don't reset the OLM and change it when the OLM says. Then I would run whatever based on your relationship. Is she a good GF? Do you see yourself marrying her? Or having kids? THat would dictate if I just sent her to the lube shop for a regular oil change or did a premium oil change.

LOL...well I was gonna do PP and a Delco or WIX filter. Bu that might be a good idea to do some more Mobil dino and let the OLM stay at 40%...

the GM olm is pretty accurate, i imagine the hot weather is helping the oil last...i wouldnt go longer than 7k on regular oil, but that is me

Mileage and hour meters are pretty one dimensional. It's what the manufacturers get to use as an indicator of what's sensible to maintain the thing. The OLM is so much more. It's better than fuel consumption (which is better than either miles/hours).

Figure it this way, do any of you REALLY THINK that 7500 is the MAXIMUM that an oil change can go? Or do you think that they factored in 2:1 safety margin from ideal for simplicity when dividing it between two service schedules and handing it to a consumer for digestion??

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
G/F G6 GTP 3.6L w/ Mobil dino dealer house oil. She bought it used w/ 15k on it and now has 21500k and 40% left. They did an oil change before she bought it. My plan was to switch it to PP since it goes so long but in the mean time should I let it ride, cause that seems like a lot of miles on dino but everyone says the OLM is darn accurate!

She does 90% HWY probably so thT COULD ACCOUNT FOR IT BUT IT LOOKS AS IF IT WILL BE 9K BETWEEN CHANGES if I let the OLM determine it.

(sry for caps, fingers slipped)

FastSUV,

Personally I'd wait until the OLM tell you to change it. That's what the monitor is all about! Save yourself some money for now and change it to your favorite synthetic when you used up all the life in the Mobil oil.

I have to admit though my 08' Impala SS indicates oil changes every 3K and so far my OLM says I still have about 70% left. Perhaps your 6 cylinder can go much longer than my V-8. When my OLM say it's time then I'll switch to the dealers perferd brand of synthetic which is strangly NOT Mobil 1 but Chevron version of synthetic instead.

Again I'd wait til it's ready.

Durango

I'm at 4K on my 2008 Impala and the oil life monitor says 37%. It's a company can and I drive the snot out of it. I did add a bottle of SLOB to assist with break in.

I also wouldn't push it past 7k max. My GF's Cobalt has a OLM, and if I followed that thing all the time it would have her going 10k or so on regular dino! It almost seems like they're configured for synthetic or something. And she's not gentle on the gas, the motor gets a workout from time to time. I've been changing her oil at 5k intervals using either Havoline or Mobil Clean 5000 5w30. Dino oil is cheap, why try pushing it that far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back