GM OLM 40% left w/ 6500 miles driven???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
FastSUV - You would be wise to trust the OLM. IMHO and generally most OCIs are far too short and even a quick trip through the UOAs on BITOG will confirm this when the OCI has been under around 5-7k miles

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
FastSUV - You would be wise to trust the OLM. IMHO and generally most OCIs are far too short and even a quick trip through the UOAs on BITOG will confirm this when the OCI has been under around 5-7k miles

Even on dino oil? You think 8k is easily attainable? If that is true then why would anyone want to use M1 or PP with an OCI under 10k?

I just can't believe dino can go so long in heat & stop & go traffic (over about 4-5k). Now on HMY I am sure 7500k is do-able in a sedan with an old lady driving 60mph 90% of the time :)

Quote:
If that is true then why would anyone want to use M1 or PP with an OCI under 10k?

No reason, really ..except that most people using conventional call it quits at

Quote:
generally most OCIs are far too short and even a quick trip through the UOAs on BITOG will confirm this when the OCI has been under around 5-7k miles

Quote:
I just can't believe dino can go so long in heat & stop & go traffic (over about 4-5k).

If that's truly the service that the vehicle encounters, the OLM will shorten the OCI to account for it. It accounts for everything that a data weighted system can. The only thing it can't account for is something like a leaking injector (it can probably sense injector cleanliness by pulse width alterations) or perhaps an unfiltered intake leak. Otherwise it accounts for everything the engine sees. Time idling ..warm up minutes ..peak rpm ..coolant temp.. everything that an odometer and hour meter can ..and a thousand fold more.

guess i'll steer it into another topic but still related...

Filters.

I see some swear certain filters should never be used past 7000 miles. I agree the technology in the oil will certainly last long, but what about some filters?

Curious as to how many long OCI guys change their filter midway?

Hi,
NismoMax80 - An OEM filter will last the length of a prescribed period (OCI or other as stated) with a considerable margin for error!

Some high quality after market filters will last well over 100k miles in their intended application

Some engine makers even state to change the filter at every second OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back