GM OLM dead wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: FastSUV
[

It is easy to do, and she knows how but doesn't have time or want to. She has some health issues and is a single mom and if you take off you BITOG hat & be objective; then surely you could see that point of view.

I don't see it.

Health issues is, to be blunt, a [censored] poor excuse. If said issues keep one from the simple task of checking a fluid level, then why doesn't it keep one from the harder task of driving a car.

I have health issues that will in all likelyhood kill me. And yet I check all the fluids instead of relying on all the gizmos BMW saw fit to install.

My mother has health issues that more than likely will kill her, and yet up till last March, not only worked full time, but had her car serviced. Not bad for a 75 year old with emphyzema, lung cancer, and rheumatoid arthritis.

Health issues......

How about other issues. How about BMW's with all their "electrical gizmos", and no dipstick. How do you check the oil level on them? For what its worth, I read on some website that, if you wanted the dealer to check your oil level in your BMW they would drain the oil, measure it, and then put it back in. Having no dipstick is absurd; or, maybe it is a sign of our time that most people no longer bother with the dipstick anyway.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
Originally Posted By: AlanRebod
Feelings trump proven science for this kid.

What science? Who are you anyways? Why do you care if I change my oil at 5k or 3k intervals? You don't know me. There not your cars. Many people, even those that browse this forum do similar oil change intervals. I think you just like being a smug butthead.

Got to wonder just who is the butthead here. No one cares if you change your oil at 3000 miles, or 5,000 miles if synthetic. They do have a right to their opinion, as you do. I used to change my oil at 3,000 miles too, but that was back in the 1960's, when my Chevy V-8's valve lifters would start tapping promptly at 3,000 miles on an oil change.

Since the advent of M1 synthetic in the 1970's, I used it for a once a year oil change, at about 18,000 to 20,000 miles. Never had an oil or sludge problem, or noisy lifters in up to 140,000 miles, which is about as long as I ever kept a car. To change out synthetic at 5,000 miles, to me, is wasteful and useless.

Some people like to say that they change their oil at 3,000 miles and never have a problem. I change my synthetic M1 at one year, no matter the mileage, as long as its less than 25,000, and never had a problem in over 25 years of use.

I disagree. I would so much rather have a flat mileage monitor. I'm going to change synthetic oil every 5k and conventional every 3k no matter what. I personally feel that the GM OLM stretches the oil change intervals way too far.

I used to think those exact parameters...this site has me convinced that on a good-conditioned motor in non racing or severe service situation, that modern dino oils can handle 5k alright.

I'd say 8k for syn as long as you keep it topped off.

Now I am not saying I do that myself, but this site has made me more willing to accept slightly longer intervals as safe; BUT I do see your point and nothing wrong with it.

As for the "flat rate OLM" as you put it, both of my Jeeps have flate rate computer reminders that I have the ability to toggle as I please and then set it. It is okay, but I would be curious & probably like it better if I had an OLM that did make its own recommendation based on miles as long as it did not exceed a certain mileage cap. And further more, you should be able to TELL the car whether you are using full-syn or not and have that be taken into account. Maybe in the future they will have such an animal. But for now, my interval-only computer reminders work out for me on my personal vehices that are not new enough to have an actual OLM system.

Most cars and trucks actually have a device you can use if you want a flat mileage based oil change system. It's called a trip odometer. Most vehicles have two of them, and one can be used to remind you of oil change intervals. If you can't be bothered to write down or otherwise remember when you last changed oil, there is no need for any special mileage based system.

As concerns a computer differentiating between dino and synthetic oil, there are probably too many different grades of dino and synthetic to make this possible. Some synthetics are suitable for long change intervals, and some are not.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick

How about other issues. How about BMW's with all their "electrical gizmos", and no dipstick. How do you check the oil level on them? For what its worth, I read on some website that, if you wanted the dealer to check your oil level in your BMW they would drain the oil, measure it, and then put it back in. Having no dipstick is absurd; or, maybe it is a sign of our time that most people no longer bother with the dipstick anyway.

I don't know about BMW, but you can check the oil level with on-board computer in a MB, even older cars such as 2000 MB E430 has that capability.

Those Oil Monitors in GM's just plain suck. My dad has a Chevy Colorado. I changed the oil in his truck last weekend because his oil was toast and smelled burnt. He had gone well over 7000 miles and the OLM still said over 30% left. This is way too many miles on conventional oil.

I couldn't believe my dad was going that long between oil changes. He's a retired mechanic after all. He knew it had been over 7000 miles, but the Chevy dealer told him to follow the OLM on this model. So, against better judgment, he listened.

Anyways, I put in PP just in case he went that long again. At least he would have a better oil in there that can handle the long interval. I also put a sticker in his window and told him to call me at 5000 miles and I would change it regardless of what the OLM said. I ignore the OLM in my wifes Malibu too. They are completely worthless in the GM's.

On what basis is your subjective analysis of the scent of used oil an accurate gauge of the amount of life remaining?

Jeez, why are we paying Blackstone for oil analysis when we could be sniffing our oil?
crackmeup2.gif

Colorado has a LONG interval on its OLM if driven "normally." When I had one as a work truck, I only changed it at 8k intervals as a CYA move.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I don't know about BMW, but you can check the oil level with on-board computer in a MB, even older cars such as 2000 MB E430 has that capability.

I know all this, but I was replying to him saying that he doesn't like relying on the BMW's electronic gizmos. I was wondering how he checked his oil level if he didn't have a dipstick if he didn't rely on his electronic gizmos.

[

It is easy to do, and she knows how but doesn't have time or want to. She has some health issues and is a single mom and if you take off you BITOG hat & be objective; then surely you could see that point of view.

I don't see it.

Health issues is, to be blunt, a [censored] poor excuse. If said issues keep one from the simple task of checking a fluid level, then why doesn't it keep one from the harder task of driving a car.

I have health issues that will in all likelyhood kill me. And yet I check all the fluids instead of relying on all the gizmos BMW saw fit to install.

My mother has health issues that more than likely will kill her, and yet up till last March, not only worked full time, but had her car serviced. Not bad for a 75 year old with emphyzema, lung cancer, and rheumatoid arthritis.

Health issues......

IIRC, newer Mustangs don't have one either. I suppose that the mfgs are moving slowly away from user service. More and more people see a car as simply an appliance. Sad really...

But this paticular car has a dipstick. (So does my Z4, as well as all those gizmos I mentioned earlier. and yet I still can pull the stick, open the radiator, check the brake fluid....)

Not the Oil Life Monitor's fault if the oil gets low. It is, as my mechanic would say, the failure on the part of the nut behind the wheel. (One guy came into the shop complaining of a steering problem. Everything was tried, everything was fine. One day, after giving him some grief because it wasn't fixed, my mechanic told him "Then it's the nut behind the wheel." So the man took the steering wheel apart looking for it...."

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I know all this, but I was replying to him saying that he doesn't like relying on the BMW's electronic gizmos. I was wondering how he checked his oil level if he didn't have a dipstick if he didn't rely on his electronic gizmos.

I use the dipstick.... See post on page 14.

Last edited:
4 pages and to my wonder there is a good reason as I have posted many times before that the 3 month 3,000 mile oil change interval that oil change places advertise is very good and valid as it is the only time that the car gets the fluids checked and the tires aired.

What science? Who are you anyways? Why do you care if I change my oil at 5k or 3k intervals? You don't know me. There not your cars. Many people, even those that browse this forum do similar oil change intervals. I think you just like being a smug butthead.

Got to wonder just who is the butthead here. No one cares if you change your oil at 3000 miles, or 5,000 miles if synthetic. They do have a right to their opinion, as you do. I used to change my oil at 3,000 miles too, but that was back in the 1960's, when my Chevy V-8's valve lifters would start tapping promptly at 3,000 miles on an oil change.

Since the advent of M1 synthetic in the 1970's, I used it for a once a year oil change, at about 18,000 to 20,000 miles. Never had an oil or sludge problem, or noisy lifters in up to 140,000 miles, which is about as long as I ever kept a car. To change out synthetic at 5,000 miles, to me, is wasteful and useless.

Some people like to say that they change their oil at 3,000 miles and never have a problem. I change my synthetic M1 at one year, no matter the mileage, as long as its less than 25,000, and never had a problem in over 25 years of use.

It wasn't his opinion, it was the way he said it. He was talking down to me because I use conservative OCI, like I'm an idiot. He was being very smug because I don't want to pay for UOA's. Everyone is entitled to opinions. He was being an a** with his.

It wasn't his opinion, it was the way he said it. He was talking down to me because I use conservative OCI, like I'm an idiot. He was being very smug because I don't want to pay for UOA's. Everyone is entitled to opinions. He was being an a** with his.

Nothing wrong with a conservative OCI. My 2 Camaros, it was every 3K. With the 72 Javelin and 68 Nova, every month.

IIRC, newer Mustangs don't have one either. I suppose that the mfgs are moving slowly away from user service. More and more people see a car as simply an appliance. Sad really...

The sensor in the side of the pan left with the Windsor engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back