GM OLM dead wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of the direction this thread has taken, I still think that there are some people out there that feel that GM's OLM will have you going way too long between oil changes. There are many people, including me, who would never go up to 10,000 miles on conventional oil. For me, I ignore the OLM in my wife's Malibu for just that reason.

Someone earlier mentioned the OLM in a Toyota that goes strictly on miles. For example, once you go 5,000 miles it comes on. Now that is a great OLM. It basically does the same job as the little sticker in the window, which most people don't have for DIY oil changes. I'm lucky that the mechanics in my family keep me stocked up on the little oil stickers. But I would love to have an OLM in my truck that goes strictly by mileage that I could pre-set myself.

Now, checking the oil level, that's still up to the user regardless of the OLM. Everyone should know how to check their oil plain and simple. Should be a pre-requisite to a driver's license.

I think that that of all the GM products the OLM is their best product yet. No flat rate mileage, it measures the duty cycle and operating conditions and takes that into account. Beats the [censored] out of the Ford and Toytoa flat 5k mile system

THe Chrysler system in my jeep I have not quite come to terms with as far as if it uses similar parameters the GM OLM does. I know its not an exact duplicate because Chrysler put a 6k mile max on them

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I think that that of all the GM products the OLM is their best product yet. No flat rate mileage, it measures the duty cycle and operating conditions and takes that into account. Beats the [censored] out of the Ford and Toytoa flat 5k mile system

THe Chrysler system in my jeep I have not quite come to terms with as far as if it uses similar parameters the GM OLM does. I know its not an exact duplicate because Chrysler put a 6k mile max on them

and that is a great idea to cap them at 6k for dino don't ya think? Chrysler did some more thinking about all the issues. Its like it will let you go up to a certain mileage, and go off sooner if the driving conditions warrant it, but to be safe it will not go 12k on dino like some have reported on a freakin 4-5qt sump!

I disagree. I would so much rather have a flat mileage monitor. I'm going to change synthetic oil every 5k and conventional every 3k no matter what. I personally feel that the GM OLM stretches the oil change intervals way too far.

Originally Posted By: 360kid
I disagree. I would so much rather have a flat mileage monitor. I'm going to change synthetic oil every 5k and conventional every 3k no matter what. I personally feel that the GM OLM stretches the oil change intervals way too far.

I used to think those exact parameters...this site has me convinced that on a good-conditioned motor in non racing or severe service situation, that modern dino oils can handle 5k alright.

I'd say 8k for syn as long as you keep it topped off.

Now I am not saying I do that myself, but this site has made me more willing to accept slightly longer intervals as safe; BUT I do see your point and nothing wrong with it.

As for the "flat rate OLM" as you put it, both of my Jeeps have flate rate computer reminders that I have the ability to toggle as I please and then set it. It is okay, but I would be curious & probably like it better if I had an OLM that did make its own recommendation based on miles as long as it did not exceed a certain mileage cap. And further more, you should be able to TELL the car whether you are using full-syn or not and have that be taken into account. Maybe in the future they will have such an animal. But for now, my interval-only computer reminders work out for me on my personal vehices that are not new enough to have an actual OLM system.

Originally Posted By: AlanRebod
Feelings trump proven science for this kid.

What science? Who are you anyways? Why do you care if I change my oil at 5k or 3k intervals? You don't know me. There not your cars. Many people, even those that browse this forum do similar oil change intervals. I think you just like being a smug butthead.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV

I used to think those exact parameters...this site has me convinced that on a good-conditioned motor in non racing or severe service situation, that modern dino oils can handle 5k alright.

I'd say 8k for syn as long as you keep it topped off.

Now I am not saying I do that myself, but this site has made me more willing to accept slightly longer intervals as safe; BUT I do see your point and nothing wrong with it.

As for the "flat rate OLM" as you put it, both of my Jeeps have flate rate computer reminders that I have the ability to toggle as I please and then set it. It is okay, but I would be curious & probably like it better if I had an OLM that did make its own recommendation based on miles as long as it did not exceed a certain mileage cap. And further more, you should be able to TELL the car whether you are using full-syn or not and have that be taken into account. Maybe in the future they will have such an animal. But for now, my interval-only computer reminders work out for me on my personal vehices that are not new enough to have an actual OLM system.

I have no doubts that conventional oil can go 5k. I wouldn't go much more than that. I just prefer not to go that long myself. Conventional is certainly made to go 5k in most cars. I will never let conventional in one of my cars go over that. I typically change conventional at 3k. My choice and it has worked very well for me. My last truck had 220,000 miles on it and I still sold it for over 3 grand because it was in such good shape.

I have no doubts that conventional oil can go 5k. I wouldn't go much more than that. I just prefer not to go that long myself. Conventional is certainly made to go 5k in most cars. I will never let conventional in one of my cars go over that. I typically change conventional at 3k. My choice and it has worked very well for me. My last truck had 220,000 miles on it and I still sold it for over 3 grand because it was in such good shape.

I use conventional 5w-30 in my Saturn and I change the oil every 8,000 miles on average. After 130,000 miles of city driving, there is only a light coating of varnish on the valvetrain.

I would keep doing those OCI then, seems to be working for you. In the truck I mentioned with the 220,000 miles on it, I only used Pennzoil YB in it and the engine was clean as a whistle. That was on 3k intervals. The last 2 oil changes I had decided to put in Synthetic and I sold it with the synthetic in it.

OLM = Oil "Life" Monitor, not Oil "Level" Monitor.

If a person knows that, they'll know it doesn't check the oil level.

Case closed!

I believe it's called an odometer.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I use conventional 5w-30 in my Saturn and I change the oil every 8,000 miles on average. After 130,000 miles of city driving, there is only a light coating of varnish on the valvetrain.

do you have to top-off very ofeten durning that 8k interval on dino???

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
OLM = Oil "Life" Monitor, not Oil "Level" Monitor.

If a person knows that, they'll know it doesn't check the oil level.

Case closed!

you obviously did not have time to read the whole thread...LOL that was already addressed multiple times and explained. I never thought it was an Oil Level Monitor. Only that the OLM let the car go so long that the oil level suffered.

Last edited:

And most of that has been with yesterdays oils. Todays oils are far superior.

do you have to top-off very ofeten durning that 8k interval on dino???

That Saturn engine has characteristic consumption as a routine occurrence. It's not a progressive, oil fatigue, thing. It's not a sign of worn out oil or a defective engine. It just is what it is.

Changing the oil at the first sign of consumption would cost an arm and a leg compared to mileage/time recommendations.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

That Saturn engine has characteristic consumption as a routine occurrence. It's not a progressive, oil fatigue, thing. It's not a sign of worn out oil or a defective engine. It just is what it is.

Changing the oil at the first sign of consumption would cost an arm and a leg compared to mileage/time recommendations.

From 0 to 3000 miles on an oil fill, the oil consumption is only 1/2 qt.

From 3000 to 8000 miles, the oil consumption averages about 1 qt every 2500 miles.

So, if I changed my oil every 3000 miles, I would not need to add any oil at all. During the course of a typical oil change interval, I usually add about 2.5 quarts of oil.

[

It is easy to do, and she knows how but doesn't have time or want to. She has some health issues and is a single mom and if you take off you BITOG hat & be objective; then surely you could see that point of view.

I don't see it.

Health issues is, to be blunt, a [censored] poor excuse. If said issues keep one from the simple task of checking a fluid level, then why doesn't it keep one from the harder task of driving a car.

I have health issues that will in all likelyhood kill me. And yet I check all the fluids instead of relying on all the gizmos BMW saw fit to install.

My mother has health issues that more than likely will kill her, and yet up till last March, not only worked full time, but had her car serviced. Not bad for a 75 year old with emphyzema, lung cancer, and rheumatoid arthritis.

Health issues......

Well, even with those issues, I don't know of a service center that WON'T check your oil if asked. Be that full service gas station, repair shop, dealer ..what have you. Find one (the one you normally get it serviced at would be a good choice) ..and use them. Easy as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back