GM OLM 40% left w/ 6500 miles driven???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: steve20
do a varfax- many of the G6's were previous rentals

It was a factory lease car with 15k on it and the company maintained it. BUT most of the "beater" G6 rentals were cloth 4cyl...this is a loaded leather GXP w/ VVT engine so it was undoubtedly leased to an executive.

It is hard to tell from the car fax if it was a demo or a lease but I recall it was owned by GM corp I think. It was mint when she got it.

Sounds about right.

My G8 has the hi feature V6 and with about 7K on the car, the OLM says it has about 35% left.

I did cheat and change out the break in oil at 3K; I didn't reset the OLM because I wanted to see how long it would go.

The sixes seem to go longer intervals than the V8's. The OLM in my GTO would only allow about 6-7K before calling for a change.

Originally Posted By: Alex38
I also wouldn't push it past 7k max. My GF's Cobalt has a OLM, and if I followed that thing all the time it would have her going 10k or so on regular dino! It almost seems like they're configured for synthetic or something. And she's not gentle on the gas, the motor gets a workout from time to time. I've been changing her oil at 5k intervals using either Havoline or Mobil Clean 5000 5w30. Dino oil is cheap, why try pushing it that far?

Brotha, you ain't got no cojones
grin2.gif

Quote:
, why try pushing it that far?

How do you know that you're pushing it? They spent MILLIONS developing the OLM to account for just about everything. It custom configured a service interval just for you and how you drive and forever leaves any guess work out of "hmm..will I spent 5 minutes at high speed ..so I suppose I should change it at 3m/3k
54.gif
" confusion.

What they couldn't change is people's habits
55.gif

Anyone interested in the facts of how GM's OLM works, might want to read Dr. Ellen S. Schwartz's 1986 patent application. This document explains the method by which the monitor calculates oil life using API mineral oils. When you know that the OLM has been validated, and updated since then for each engine application, AND has a 10% built in safety margin by design, it becomes much easier to accept the OLM's judgement over your own.

There are many other information sources around, but here is one. Be sure to scroll all the way down past any ad links.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4742476.html

Last edited:
You guys are right, but cut me some slack! Before I joined this site I still thought 3k was the way to go. I used to change out synthetic at 4500-5k and thought I was pushing it. The OLM in my Lincoln LS always came on around the 4500-5k range and I thought that was plenty. Now I've been running dino to 5k in my truck and the GF's car, and synthetic to 7k or so in my 09 Corolla. I'm gradually learning not to cringe when I think of going 7k on oil! But regardless, 9-10k on plain dino seems like an awful long way to go! I guess that may be from too many years working at the Ford dealer being forced to put 3k mile increments on the window stickers.

Nissan severe is 3750 OCI and the other mostly hwy is 7500. They do not say it needs to be synthetic. Everyone touts how much better oils are today compared when 3k oci was necessary. Surely 9000 is doable.

I would think by now someone on here knows how GM and others program these OLMs.

Quote:
You guys are right, but cut me some slack! Before I joined this site I still thought 3k was the way to go.

Oh ...ohhhhhh no. You're out of the closet now, pal ...this is extreme full contact BITOG for you from here on out ..
LOL.gif

Here's a great read on the OLM.

So without a UOA, then modern engines can go 6-9k on dino???

Heck I don't go that long on my own vehicles on blend or full-syn...the g/f doesn't care and will use whatever oil I put in. I am looking for a reason to stick to dino but for a few bucks more why not use PP regardless of the fact the OLM says dino for 8-9k??

I also wouldn't push it past 7k max. My GF's Cobalt has a OLM, and if I followed that thing all the time it would have her going 10k or so on regular dino! It almost seems like they're configured for synthetic or something. And she's not gentle on the gas, the motor gets a workout from time to time. I've been changing her oil at 5k intervals using either Havoline or Mobil Clean 5000 5w30. Dino oil is cheap, why try pushing it that far?

Heck, I've been putting miles on my cobalt's M1 change a while back, and it is only at 58%...at this rate I might change it before 20....

GM's OLM's seem much more agressive than does Hondas. Honda OLMs typically call for an oil change at around 5500-6500 miles, while GM vehicles often clock twice that or more.

Are GM engines that much easier on motor oil than Honda's are?

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
GM's OLM's seem much more agressive than does Hondas. Honda OLMs typically call for an oil change at around 5500-6500 miles, while GM vehicles often clock twice that or more.

That's what I'm wondering! I can see using those intervals with a quality synthetic, but that is a long way for dino.

That's what I'm wondering! I can see using those intervals with a quality synthetic, but that is a long way for dino.

I'd rather have a good quality synthetic in my engine and go those distances compared to dino.

Durango

Yet some Honda's have a static 10k/1year OCI ..and nobody doubts it. Go 2 tenths of a mile over 3k in a GM ..and, man, you're taking your life in your hands.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Quote:
You guys are right, but cut me some slack! Before I joined this site I still thought 3k was the way to go.

Oh ...ohhhhhh no. You're out of the closet now, pal ...this is extreme full contact BITOG for you from here on out ..
LOL.gif

Here's a great read on the OLM.

Thanks for the link, that was a good read!

Either that or the tougher environemtnal lobby/laws wants to conserve oil and make GM tell its owners not to change the oil as often maybe?

Gary Allan Yet some Honda's have a static 10k/1year OCI ..and nobody doubts it. Go 2 tenths of a mile over 3k in a GM ..and said:
LOL yeah but the dealer/quick lube is who pushes that man; u know that

55.gif
Yes, I do know that, but my main point was that no one challenges Honda's 10k/1 year static recommendation ..even if they were a steadfast 3k/3m type. They "trust" Honda. Yet, nobody trusts the domestic OCI ..even with advanced adaptive tools at their disposal. Well, let's qualify that. They'll believe an OLM if it agrees with their take on it. If the OLM says 3500 ...then it's totally accurate and a good guide. If it says 13k (we've seen it) ..then it's a tool to get you to buy another car sooner.

I'd probably make out better in oil sales if every car came with a GM OLM. Nobody would want to go the distance on OTC oils that weren't specifically geared for extended drains.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
55.gif
Yes, I do know that, but my main point was that no one challenges Honda's 10k/1 year static recommendation ..even if they were a steadfast 3k/3m type. They "trust" Honda. Yet, nobody trusts the domestic OCI ..even with advanced adaptive tools at their disposal. Well, let's qualify that. They'll believe an OLM if it agrees with their take on it. If the OLM says 3500 ...then it's totally accurate and a good guide. If it says 13k (we've seen it) ..then it's a tool to get you to buy another car sooner.

I'd probably make out better in oil sales if every car came with a GM OLM. Nobody would want to go the distance on OTC oils that weren't specifically geared for extended drains.

LOL...you know why they trust Honda but not their own people (ie. GM, Ford, etc.) don't ya?

Go to 0:21 - 0:33 to here the answer (be sure speakers are up loud):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LkKrPGxJXA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back