2009 Chevrolet Traverse - long OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. It is a great car for a family. Plenty of room and power, plus she doesn't want a minivan.

I was going to leave the factory fill in the engine until about 7K or until the GM OLM told me to change it. I get updates every month with the OnStar package that projects when the OLM will say to change the oil. I got an e-mail from OnStar that reminded me that the oil had been in the Traverse for over 9k miles!!!! The OLM was projecting 13k miles on dino. That just seems like too much.

I filled it full of 5.5 qts of Castrol Edge and used a M1-113 filer. I am going to change it at 10k or sooner if the OLM tells me to change it. The dino in the engine was very dark when I drained it.

I would like to get a UOA on the Edge. Would it be best to get a UOA at the end of this run of 10k? Maybe do a 5K run and then test? I have a Fumoto valve that I took off my Tahoe that I am going to install on the Traverse. The Fumoto Valve makes changing oil a piece of cake. The oil filter on the Traverse can be reached from the top, so I bet I could change the oil and never have to put both knees on the ground.

The GM OLM and the extended drain oils (MIEP and Edge) seem to fit together nicely. It might take 6-7 months to get the 10k miles, but I will keep you posted.

Last edited:
I wouldn't go 9k on dino and I certainly wouldn't go 13k on dino! Is this the factory fill that you went 9k on? I wouldn't do that either but either way, I'm sure there is no long term damage done.

The OLMs on GM vehicles have a good reputation for being pretty accurate but you still have to use your head about it. Its a great aid but I would not trust it completely if something didn't feel right.

The same thing applies to GPS. I know a long haul trucker that followed his GPS all the way down a gravel road. He ended up having to drive is 80,000 lb. rig over a mile in reverse on gravel to get out of that mess. We depend too much on computers and our common sense dies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dsmith41
I wouldn't go 9k on dino and I certainly wouldn't go 13k on dino! Is this the factory fill that you went 9k on? I wouldn't do that either but either way, I'm sure there is no long term damage done.

The OLMs on GM vehicles have a good reputation for being pretty accurate but you still have to use your head about it. Its a great aid but I would not trust it completely if something didn't feel right.

The same thing applies to GPS. I know a long haul trucker that followed his GPS all the way down a gravel road. He ended up having to drive is 80,000 lb. rig over a mile in reverse on gravel to get out of that mess. We depend too much on computers and our common sense dies.
What ever happened to using a mapbook? People not know how to use a map? I have no need for a GPS, my mapbook wont break on me or lose signal, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back