Chevrolet Traverse - stick with the OLM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been changing the 2010 Traverse every 5k miles, first with Mobil 1 and now Valvoline Synpower. I bought it used at 99,000. According to the Carfax I got with it, it's already had the ECU update to correct the OLM for which there was a TSB. So far, it hasn't had the dreaded timing chain issues. Now almost 5k into this oil change (nearly 125,000 on the odometer), and oil life is at 54%. So, if my commute is mostly highway, and I occasionally tow a 2000 pound camper, would sticking with the OLM be OK? A quick search turned up a UOA with conventional that didn't look bad. I've just heard that the 3.6 is hard on oil, and has a reputation for worn timing chains.

If they did a recal on the OLM it's probably fine. Run it 5K and send it for a sample to see what they say.

My 07 3.5L Impala ran 9k in a heavily highway situation regularly per the OLM. Had it tested once and there was still life in the oil, per the UOA.

IMHO the oil change is cheaper than the uoa. At least you're going to 5k. That's IMO a decent oci.

Especially if you drop down to a blend or premium conventional like pyb.

But that synpower definitely has some life left on it at 5k miles.

Last edited:
Unless you want to spend the money on a UOA to see how your oil is holding up. I would stick to the 5k oil changes. Our 2011 Acadia beats the [censored] out of the oil as is shown in our UOA's. So I just stick with 5k oil changes and PF63 filtes. I got a good deal on ten of them for $40 on eBay

Use the OLM as a guide along with the mileage and color.
I suggest inspecting real closely when it get's down to 35%.

Thanks all, I have no idea what oil changes were like for the first 60,000, the Carfax doesn't show any before then. Looks like at 60,000 it started having "official" oil changes every 5,000 until I got it. I'm sure it's always had regular oil changes though, seems too well maintained to have not had them and the only unscheduled repair on the Carfax is an oxygen sensor. Guess I'll go on the assumption that since it didn't specify Dexos at that time, and Dexos is at least a syn blend, I figure Synpower should suffice. It's not getting very dark and the baffle under the filler cap looks clean.

The OLM works very well. Takes into account blow-by predictions, cold starts, high revs, etc. to nail it down. Go by it, but use an oil that's better than what the OLM assumes you're using, like a full synthetic.
Fram Ultra filters are the best filters, silicon adbv, wire backed, double layer of synthetic media, lasts twice what most other oil filters do for some margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back