GM Introduces Dexos I and Dexos II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine that PU will not meet the GM Dexos spec since it isn't an energy conserving oil, doesn't have ACEA A1 or A5 specifications. Also, Pennzoil's website states that PU meets GF-5 cleansing and protection standards, no mention of fuel economy. In the PP section of the website they don't hedge, it meets GF-5. It is interesting that PU is more expensive than PP (for the time being).

Originally Posted By: kevinf
I imagine that PU will not meet the GM Dexos spec since it isn't an energy conserving oil,

Why do you say that?

I imagine that PU will not meet the GM Dexos spec since it isn't an energy conserving oil

Not sure why you are stating that. PU has the energy conserving star burst right on the bottle. Am I missing something?

I imagine that PU will not meet the GM Dexos spec since it isn't an energy conserving oil, doesn't have ACEA A1 or A5 specifications.

It already meets the SPEC.

Didn't valvoline say that their GF-5 Oil will meet the dexoil spec without paying for the license. If so, it would be a affordable choice to those on a budget.

Either way, I lost interest in GM when they became govt. owned. So it really wont affect me directly.

Last edited:
The new PP is already Dexos 1.

According to them the reason PU isn't Dexos is because it isn't distributed well enough for them to bother with the licensing fees. I'm sure PU can easily pass the cert if they cared enough though.

Two questions: Since GM dsoesn't make oil, who is making Dexos for them?

Do the oil companies need to have their oil certified/licensed if they can just label the bottle " Meets Dexos specs" and not worry about the warranty problem? "Dexos approved" sounds like you are paying for the license, not them.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Two questions: Since GM dsoesn't make oil, who is making Dexos for them?

Do the oil companies need to have their oil certified/licensed if they can just label the bottle " Meets Dexos specs" and not worry about the warranty problem? "Dexos approved" sounds like you are paying for the license, not them.

Just like any other specs, GM has documented what the oil has to achieve on specific tests and if the oil is proven to meet or exceed the specifications then it can be certified by GM for use and the oil companies can adorn their oil containers with the Dexos approved logo IF they pay the royalty or licensing fee to do so. This is no different than organizations like API who charge for the right to display their logo and approval on oil containers.

I'm really unhappy about how all the auto makers are pushing towards proprietary fluids for everything. I think it is but one more element of their plan to make life miserable for third party repair shops and DIY owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back